Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All of the O-Line Prospects Scouted, some new names

NAC386

Buluga will go top 10. I think he will be the 2nd OT taken, and there is a slight possibility he passes everyone and goes before Okung. The guy is a nasty beast.

I agree as stated above I believe he will be "AT LEAST" the 2nd OT taken in the draft. IMO he is far more polished and a much better fit than Okung. Just watch some Iowa football games and just watch Bulaga on every play. Very impressive.

I would be surprised if he wasn't drafted in the top 10. Hard to say though based on every teams needs and w/out combine numbers.

Boswell makes some good points here about Shanny and Olines.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=314929

The problem may be even deeper than that. Aside from Dockery, who do you have to build with who'll be a quality player in '10-'11. Rabach will be 33 in September. Thomas says he's comng back, but he said that this year and lasted five minutes. Gibbs inherited a fine power blocking line in Jansen, Samuels, Dockery and Thomas. That's always been the Skins style. And when you add a Heyer you sure aren't going for "nimble." Part of the reason Shanahan went for smaller, quicker offensive lines in Denver was that the mile-high altitude wore out ultra-big linemen. I asked him about that yesterday. He said his O-line drafting/trading starategies wouldn't change at sea level, though plenty of coaches think it's a big deal. "But I am breathing a little easier," he joked.

It's a big switch from the types of linemen __both size and technique__ in Dener to the N.L. East. Even before Mike was head coach, in the Skins last Super Bowl win, remember how the huge Gibbs line blew the Broncos off the ball so Timmy Smith could run wild and Williams had tons of time to pass.

Otoh, Shanahan is football-brilliant. And O-line is one of the things he's best at. So, in the Redskins biggest area of total weakness, he's probably the best available coach to deal with it. Also, Joe Bugel will presumably retire, so Shanny can do it his way.

Suh is really tempting, but I wouldn't choose him. The right thing to do would be to field offers and trade down, so you can maximize the value of your pick. You don't want to reach for a tackle that will be there a few picks later when you can trade down, accumulate more picks and still select the same player.

Boswell makes some good points here about Shanny and Olines.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=314929

The problem may be even deeper than that. Aside from Dockery, who do you have to build with who'll be a quality player in '10-'11. Rabach will be 33 in September. Thomas says he's comng back, but he said that this year and lasted five minutes. Gibbs inherited a fine power blocking line in Jansen, Samuels, Dockery and Thomas. That's always been the Skins style. And when you add a Heyer you sure aren't going for "nimble." Part of the reason Shanahan went for smaller, quicker offensive lines in Denver was that the mile-high altitude wore out ultra-big linemen. I asked him about that yesterday. He said his O-line drafting/trading starategies wouldn't change at sea level, though plenty of coaches think it's a big deal. "But I am breathing a little easier," he joked.

It's a big switch from the types of linemen __both size and technique__ in Dener to the N.L. East. Even before Mike was head coach, in the Skins last Super Bowl win, remember how the huge Gibbs line blew the Broncos off the ball so Timmy Smith could run wild and Williams had tons of time to pass.

Otoh, Shanahan is football-brilliant. And O-line is one of the things he's best at. So, in the Redskins biggest area of total weakness, he's probably the best available coach to deal with it. Also, Joe Bugel will presumably retire, so Shanny can do it his way.

Boswell is behind the curve or this is old. Rabach is a UFA. he voided his contract with playing time escalators this last year.

No, you don't draft Suh. :doh:

If you want to actually make this team better you need to shore up the OL, not play fantasy football and drafting DT's.

On what planet is draft Suh fantasy football? I didn't say we should take him, and I clearly am in favor of drafting offensive line or I wouldn't have made this thread. But have you ever seen him play? Sometimes you take the best player available when he's heads and shoulders above the competition. This kid could be one of the greats.

Bulaga is an impressive prospect, he has a mean streak and did a good job of keeping Ricky Stanzi on two feet during the season. I like Okung and Bulaga, the injuries are a concern with Btrade back with Bruce Campbell. We could probably trade back with SF and Get Bulaga and Davis in the first. If we can sign a guard in FA all we will need is a Center to replace Rabach unless we do not resign him, then we can look at depth along the O-Line

Bulaga is an impressive prospect, he has a mean streak and did a good job of keeping Ricky Stanzi on two feet during the season. I like Okung and Bulaga, the injuries are a concern with Btrade back with Bruce Campbell. We could probably trade back with SF and Get Bulaga and Davis in the first. If we can sign a guard in FA all we will need is a Center to replace Rabach unless we do not resign him, then we can look at depth along the O-Line

That is a perfect scenario, but things would literally have to fall in our lap. I like the idea though. Am I the only one who can't stand Rabach? That guy is awful. I've been sick of him for like 3 years now, he's constantly beaten and he's the only guy I've ever seen get back to back penalties nullifying touchdowns.

Everyone is forgetting that seattle has 2 1st rounders!! Also that both are lower than the 49ers picks.

In addition, they also need a qb sooo it will be lovely if both qb's are on the board when we pick and seattle comes calling to see what we want

You may have it backwards.........

Seattle has the #6 and #14 picks

San Fran. has the #13 and #17 picks.

There's seven or even eight OL that are 1st round caliber. Okung (Ok S), Davis (Rut), Campbell (MD), Bulaga (Iowa), Williams (OK), Brown (USC), Iupati (Idaho), Fox (mia).

That being said, we should fulfill our greatest need and maximize the numbers of 1st round picks. How? Seattle and San Fran have two 1st round selections.

The real key to this outcome is Locker (QB) entering the draft (pushing more O-linemen down), who Saint Louis picks first and whether Seattle is hot for Bradford. I don't think San Fran is desperate for anything except maybe a running back. Or, maybe a QB? But Seattle needs a QB; proably more than we do. But if we can get either of those two to trade their two picks with us, we could very likely draft two high quality linemen in the first round. Maybe take Pike (QB Cincy) in the 2nd round.

The real key to this outcome is Locker (QB) entering the draft (pushing more O-linemen down), who Saint Louis picks first and whether Seattle is hot for Bradford. I don't think San Fran is desperate for anything except maybe a running back. Or, maybe a QB? But Seattle needs a QB; proably more than we do. But if we can get either of those two to trade their two picks with us, we could very likely draft two high quality linemen in the first round. Maybe take Pike (QB Cincy) in the 2nd round.

You know Locker has already announced he's staying for his Senior year, don't you?

On what planet is draft Suh fantasy football? I didn't say we should take him, and I clearly am in favor of drafting offensive line or I wouldn't have made this thread. But have you ever seen him play? Sometimes you take the best player available when he's heads and shoulders above the competition. This kid could be one of the greats.

On the planet where we have Albert Haynesworth and devoid of 4 starters on the OL is where taking Suh is a complete Fantasy Football move and something Cerrato would do.

I've seen Suh play. I've said he's the best DT prospect I've seen since Sapp coming out of college. I've also said he would be the only non OL I'd think about drafting at #4.

When it comes down to it, you have to stop robbing Peter to pay Paul one of these days and that time as come. If Suh drops to #4 (unlikely as that scenario is to happen), you get a kings ransom for him.

The Link points out Bruce Campbell has "Huge Injury Red Flags".... Other than Okung who is ranked #1 the most interesting LT prospect to me was the #2 ranked guy Bryan Bulaga from Iowa...I haven't heard of him but his resume' was impressive. The link points out he has the longest and widest MEAN streak in the draft...hmmmm someone to watch.

Hmmm. Interesting. Russ Grimm part deux?

6th and 14th is too much to give up for moving up two slots would cost another pick and I think Seattle would be looking for OL WR or QB nothing really different than us .

San fran would be the better partner because they could move up and get a shot at one of the top defensive prospects ..

I have to agree with Old Skool. While we do need more DL Depth, we do not need to spend it on a guy like Suh right now. We'd be better off picking up a depth guy in later rounds and grooming him to be the fourth man in the rotation.

I agree with him too that it's not the best idea, but it's definitely not fantasy football. We could use him in any situation, while AH is off the first half the time. You need 2 DTs, plus he is quick and agile enough to play DE in a 3-4 front for different packages. Fantasy football is when you pick up guys based on stats or numbers that don't matter, like Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow or even Taylor Mays in the top 5.

On the planet where we have Albert Haynesworth and devoid of 4 starters on the OL is where taking Suh is a complete Fantasy Football move and something Cerrato would do.

I've seen Suh play. I've said he's the best DT prospect I've seen since Sapp coming out of college. I've also said he would be the only non OL I'd think about drafting at #4.

When it comes down to it, you have to stop robbing Peter to pay Paul one of these days and that time as come. If Suh drops to #4 (unlikely as that scenario is to happen), you get a kings ransom for him.

All of our picks don't have to be offensive linemen. All of your linemen don't have to be taken in the draft. If you think that Suh is going to be that dominant you take him if he is available. If you take a look at the best offensive lines in football almost none of them have more than 1 first rounder in the group. Now if we take Suh and make no attempt to significantly upgrade the offensive line I could see your point but just because we don't use our very first pick on offensive line doesn't mean we are doomed.

Draft Pick Value

#4: 1,800

#13: 1,150

#17: 950

Total: 2,100

Difference of 300 in terms of value. We would likely have to include additional picks or a player to acquire SF's two first... that is unless they truly covet someone at #4.

Draft Countdown

I wonder if we could throw in ARE or Portis to sweeten the pot (and make up that 300)?

All of our picks don't have to be offensive linemen. All of your linemen don't have to be taken in the draft. If you think that Suh is going to be that dominant you take him if he is available. If you take a look at the best offensive lines in football almost none of them have more than 1 first rounder in the group. Now if we take Suh and make no attempt to significantly upgrade the offensive line I could see your point but just because we don't use our very first pick on offensive line doesn't mean we are doomed.

No one is saying that all of the picks this year need to be OL. However, when you look at franchise LOT's they are almost exclusively taken in the 1st round.

Whatever the opinion of Suh that you may have, the need for a franchise LOT clearly outweighs the desire for another DT.

Also, what about a center? or a guard? I feel like we could take whoever the best available OL is at any point in this draft and it would be a good pick. Our line, IMO, is atrocious.

Mike Iupati from Idaho is a beast at guard. If he can avoid the injury bug he will be an All Pro type guard IMO. I'd love to get him but I think OT is a bigger need and Id be amazed if he is still on the board when we pick in the second round.

Archived