Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Facebook - Mafia Wars?

sjinhan

Anyone play this game?

hmm trying to decide what game Facebook to play...

i am tyring this Farmville thing out but its pretty boring...

Sounded like people had fun playing TW but I also heard it was time consuming... so any games out ther that is fun BUT i dont have to plan my life around?

Zynga, the software company founded by Miark Pincus is making money hand over fist on these games. He recently got some press for these comments.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/06/zynga-scamville-mark-pinkus-faceboo/

Zynga CEO Mark Pincus said earlier this week that he intends to make sure his company’s games don’t include scammy offers in the future. Our full background on this story is here.

But what he didn’t say in that blog post is that Zynga has been scamming users from the beginning quite intentionally as part of their revenue model. Rather, he pointed much of the blame at middlemen offer companies: “We need to be more aggressive and have revised our service level agreements with these providers requiring them to filter and police offers prior to posting on their networks.”

Last spring, though, he gave a much clearer explanation to an audience at a Startup@Berkeley mixer, admitting that scamming users was part of Zynga’s business model from the start. And it was all caught on video. I think everyone sort of knew that this was exactly Zynga’s gameplan. But to hear it said so directly is just shocking.

The full 30ish minute video is here. We’ve taken the relevant section of the video, roughly starting at around the 10:40 mark, and embed it below. From the video:

I knew that i wanted to control my destiny, so I knew I needed revenues, right, ****ing, now. Like I needed revenues now. So I funded the company myself but I did every horrible thing in the book to, just to get revenues right away. I mean we gave our users poker chips if they downloaded this zwinky toolbar which was like, I dont know, I downloaded it once and couldn’t get rid of it. *laughs* We did anything possible just to just get revenues so that we could grow and be a real business…So control your destiny. So that was a big lesson, controlling your business. So by the time we raised money we were profitable.

Dude, don't **** with pokemon. I still have the original red version and play it from time to time when I have an afternoon to kill.

I still have red, blue, yellow, gold, and silver. the batteries for Gold and Silver died because it has to keep track of that damn clock, so I opened them up and replaced the batteries. And I may or may not have a ROM on my mp3 player that has a GBC emulator

I'm level 500+ in Mafia Wars. I quit the game after reading about how evil Zynga is. They'll never notice I'm gone, but I refuse to give them any ad revenue. I'd offer to give away Politico Corruptos but that would require logging on.

For those who are going to keep playing, here is what I've learned. If you put the majority of your points into energy, you can easily gain 2 levels/day. I had to do the highest xp/energy jobs to get my first level, but then for the second one I could do the lower reward jobs and use the energy pack to get the rest of the level. Get as close to leveling again as you can (I'd shoot for 10 xp away) to do the boss fight from the 4th tier. You'll level, have a couple hundred xp to your next level and a full energy bar. Then I'd use up the remainder of my energy on high xp/energy jobs so that the next day I could log in, do a few jobs and get that first level.

Oh, and with the lottery, you can get two tickets a day with a little effort. Play two tickets, then cash in the reward, which is another ticket. When you play your ticket the next day you'll be able to cash in the reward again and get another ticket. Repeat.

The downside of putting all your points into energy is that you won't be any good at the PvP side of the game. I found that if I didn't draw attention to myself (no wars, no hitlist, no random attacks) I didn't get hit much. When I did, it was usually just a couple hundred K, no big deal.

I used to play it but when I reached a certain level, it pissed me off so bad that I just walked away from it. People were constantly hitting me and when I'd try to hit them back, it would say they were too tired to fight. On top of that, since it would allow people to hit me non-stop and never tell them I was too tired, I was losing money faster than I could make it. I lost everything I built and saved up in no time at all.

I'm level 500+ in Mafia Wars. I quit the game after reading about how evil Zynga is. They'll never notice I'm gone, but I refuse to give them any ad revenue. I'd offer to give away Politico Corruptos but that would require logging on.

For those who are going to keep playing, here is what I've learned. If you put the majority of your points into energy, you can easily gain 2 levels/day. I had to do the highest xp/energy jobs to get my first level, but then for the second one I could do the lower reward jobs and use the energy pack to get the rest of the level. Get as close to leveling again as you can (I'd shoot for 10 xp away) to do the boss fight from the 4th tier. You'll level, have a couple hundred xp to your next level and a full energy bar. Then I'd use up the remainder of my energy on high xp/energy jobs so that the next day I could log in, do a few jobs and get that first level.

Oh, and with the lottery, you can get two tickets a day with a little effort. Play two tickets, then cash in the reward, which is another ticket. When you play your ticket the next day you'll be able to cash in the reward again and get another ticket. Repeat.

The downside of putting all your points into energy is that you won't be any good at the PvP side of the game. I found that if I didn't draw attention to myself (no wars, no hitlist, no random attacks) I didn't get hit much. When I did, it was usually just a couple hundred K, no big deal.

ill take all your weapons and stuff you dont want

• 4 weeks later...

Archived