Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interview: Sarah Palin's father implies she left Hawaii because of minorities

Ancalagon the Black

I don't think we have nearly enough Sarah Palin threads around here!

So I give you this gem from the New Yorker:

“Hawaii was a little too perfect,” Palin writes. “Perpetual sunshine isn’t necessarily conducive to serious academics for eighteen-year-old Alaska girls.” Perhaps not. But Palin’s father, Chuck Heath, gave a different account to Conroy and Walshe. According to him, the presence of so many Asians and Pacific Islanders made her uncomfortable: “They were a minority type thing and it wasn’t glamorous, so she came home.”

Can you quote the whole paragraph in that piece? At least add the last sentance wrt Idaho.

I find this telling from the piece:

The appetite for betterment that drove Truman is strangely absent in Palin. Though she says that she was a voracious reader in childhood, she nowhere indicates what she learned about politics or governance from books, from the college courses she took, or even from more experienced officeholders in Alaska. She (or her collaborator) sprinkles nuggets from Plato and Pascal, but is more convincing when she cites a motivational maxim from “author and former football coach Lou Holtz.” When the call came from John McCain to discuss her possible place on the ticket, Palin, in her favored idiom, didn’t blink. It was confirmation of her self-assessment. “I certainly didn’t think, Well, of course this would happen. But neither did I think, What an astonishing idea. It seemed more comfortable than that, like a natural progression.” It may have seemed less natural to advisers who, prepping her for interviews and debates, were startled by the gaping holes in her knowledge. When Fred Barnes, the Weekly Standard editor and writer, asked Palin who her favorite thinker was, she replied, “You.” Barnes has observed that Palin’s “Republican heroes, besides McCain, come to a grand total of two, Reagan and Lincoln.”

More from the article:

What she ignores, though, is the fact that Reagan, like Truman, immersed himself in solitary preparation. A consultant to Reagan’s first political campaign, in 1966, when he ran for governor of California, reported that “his library is stacked with books on political philosophy.” The radio scripts that he wrote and read in the nineteen-seventies, at a rate of five a week, were models of concise argument, as were his letters to contemporaries like William F. Buckley, Jr. But then Reagan, again like Truman, aspired to the heroic ideal. Despite his Hollywood past—or perhaps to atone for it—he cultivated an air of almost imperial remoteness. “What stayed with me,” Colin Powell writes in “My American Journey” of his first meeting with Reagan, “was the paradox of warmth and detachment Reagan seemed to generate simultaneously, as if there could be such a thing as impersonal intimacy.”

I came across a Reagan speech from 30 years ago, and was surprised at the foresight he had regarding the role of government. I agree that many invoke Reagan but have yet to see anyone who has taken that mantle as Republican leader of the party (however in hindsight I do agree he is the first president whose budget went out of control, although in fairness that is part of Congress' job).

The thing about Reagan that I find so fascinating is that he actually articulated on the reasons why he was fighting against so-called liberalism.

From a speech he delivered in 1967:

Your generation is being wooed by many who charge this way we have known is inadequate to meet the challenges of our times. They point to the unsolved problems of poverty and prejudice as proof of the system's failure. As students, you have a duty to research to find if the failure is one of system - or is it the inadequacy of human nature?

You should also inquire if those who would replace the system have anything to offer in exchange other than untried theory packaged as Utopia. It sometimes seems strange that what is so often described, as the brave new world of the future must be upheld by the collectivist philosophy of nineteenth century theorists like Rousseau, Fourier and Marx.

You have lived your entire lives in a governmental framework tending ever more toward the welfare state and centralism. We still have government of the people, by the people and for the people, but there seems to be a lot more of ''for'' the people and less ''of'' and ''by''. This is justified on the claim that society has grown so complex we can no longer afford too much individual freedom.

To invoke ''states' rights'' is to be suspect of wanting to deny ''human rights'', and similar charges of selfishness greet any attack on the tendency of government to grow, but more particularly when attention is called to failures by government in the field of human welfare. But you are students and therefore engaged in a search for truth.

Has the idea of a federation of sovereign states been proven unworkable because here and there selfish individuals used state government to impose on the freedom of some? Isn't there something to be said for a system wherein people can vote with their feet if government becomes too oppressive? Let a state pile on taxes beyond a bearable limit and business and industry start moving out and the people follow. Let us think very carefully before switching to a system in which these states become administrative districts enforcing uniform laws and regulations.

When judging him on the deficit I think one has to remember the Congressional makeup (although some traditional Democrats are now more Republican I suppose).

But look at the way he defends his big picture ideals. Maybe because those ideals resonate with me I find it better to embrace than any speech I heard from either Bush or Obama (I suppose his inaugeration speech has been good).

She definitely marches to the beat of her own drummer. But whats wrong with that? Its refreshing in my opinion. And I'll take Lou Holtz running our goverernment over 99% of the Bozos we have in office right now. Inspiring others is what leaders should do, she certainly has a gift for it. Holtz ain't a bad guy to learn from if this is your goal. Its true many despise her, but millions more respect her. She's real......Take it or leave it.

She definitely marches to the beat of her own drummer. But whats wrong with that? Its refreshing in my opinion. And I'll take Lou Holtz running our goverernment over 99% of the Bozos we have in office right now. Inspiring others is what leaders should do, she certainly has a gift for it. Holtz ain't a bad guy to learn from if this is your goal. Its true many despise her, but millions more respect her. She's real......Take it or leave it.

Then you certainly shouldn't have any problem with Obama - he's definitely inspired infinitely more people than Palin.

Also, polls contradict your statement - while I'm sure most people including myself don't "despise" her, according to polls your statement should read "it's true many respect her, but millions more don't want her anywhere near the government."

This quote is from the article.

"To an extent unmatched by any recent major political figure, she offers the erasure of any distinction—in skill, experience, intellect—between the governing and the governed."

Is it accurate?

If so, is it a problem?

Discuss.

This quote is from the article.

"To an extent unmatched by any recent major political figure, she offers the erasure of any distinction—in skill, experience, intellect—between the governing and the governed."

Is it accurate?

If so, is it a problem?

Discuss.

So nobody wants to go here? To me, this issue is central to Sarah Palin as an emerging populist political figure.

I think the characterization of her is unfair, but I think she has done much herself to cultivate an image that would lead to such a conclusion.

I am a persistent critic of Sarah Palin, but I do not think that the quotation in the original post is particularly damning.

Sarah Palin would not be the first Haole to go to Hawaii and be made to feel unwelcome. For an 18 year old, it would be an unhappy way to begin your life away from home. I can understand why she would not want to stick it out.

The quote does not imply that Sarah Palin "dislikes minorities" in any way - it is about being uncomfortable "being made to feel like a minority." There is a huge difference. The left will be making a major mistake if they try to make a big deal out of this. It will backfire big time.

And I repeat - I am NOT a Sarah Palin fan.

So nobody wants to go here? To me, this issue is central to Sarah Palin as an emerging populist political figure.

I think the characterization of her is unfair, but I think she has done much herself to cultivate an image that would lead to such a conclusion.

I personally want my leaders to be more skilled, intelligent, and experienced than I am. But apparently some people want a President "just like them", I could never understand the thinking behind that.

I don't find this terribly damning. But I do think it is another anecdote that explains the rise in popularity of Palin with her constituency.

There is a large segment of white Americans in former industrial towns and farming communities and other one-business type places that think they are "losing my country" to blacks and Hispanics and foreigners and queers and some bi-coastal elite that is controlling all these smaller groups. They see Palin as just like them - the PTA president/soccer mom who never had time to get a PhD in sociology because she was too busy shooting wolves from helicopters.

(OK...I'm lost on how anyone identifies with that last part...but anyway....)

There are about 40,000,000 pissed-off white people out there who wanted to live in a world where dad gets a job at the textile plant while mom bakes cupcakes for the Little League team. People who think that you need a pair of work shoes, play shoes, and Church shoes. And that's it. And that world is gone.

What is interesting about Palin is that she is completely a creation of identity politics. She is a phenom not because of anything that she has said or done. She is a force now simply because of what she represents.

What is interesting about Palin is that she is completely a creation of identity politics. She is a phenom not because of anything that she has said or done. She is a force now simply because of what she represents.

:hysterical:...That's racist;)

The blind leading the blind

I am a persistent critic of Sarah Palin, but I do not think that the quotation in the original post is particularly damning.

Sarah Palin would not be the first Haole to go to Hawaii and be made to feel unwelcome. For an 18 year old, it would be an unhappy way to begin your life away from home. I can understand why she would not want to stick it out.

The quote does not imply that Sarah Palin "dislikes minorities" in any way - it is about being uncomfortable "being made to feel like a minority." There is a huge difference. The left will be making a major mistake if they try to make a big deal out of this. It will backfire big time.

And I repeat - I am NOT a Sarah Palin fan.

what you said is fair, can't ask anymore than that.

But I thought she left her first college b/c she is stupid and couldn't make it?? At least that is what I read on here when people mention she went to more than one college. Geez, maybe there were many other reasons that led her to attend more than one school.

Its all too common for a young kid who leaves home for a college far far away from their "home" and many of those kids can't "handle it" for one reason or another, go home or go to a college closer to home.

But I thought she left her first college b/c she is stupid and couldn't make it?? At least that is what I read on here when people mention she went to more than one college. Geez, maybe there were many other reasons that led her to attend more than one school.

Its all too common for a young kid who leaves home for a college far far away from their "home" and many of those kids can't "handle it" for one reason or another, go home or go to a college closer to home.

5 schools in 4 (or 5) years though? That speaks of a commitment problem.

But I thought she left her first college b/c she is stupid and couldn't make it??

I don't remember anyone saying that. I didn't say that.

The fact that she went to 5 colleges, two of them community colleges, that may something about her academic credentials to some people. The fact that she transferred out of her first college? Nope. Heck, Obama transferred out of his first college too.

Archived