Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So how would you fix the RZ problems?

eljeasel

I would throw fades all day to Kelly, Mitchell, Thomas, and Davis. Lets keep the game simple. You see how easy the Rams scored when they threw the fade. Other than that I would run bootlegs to give JC the option of running or throwing and it makes the defense make a decision to stay back on the wr or come up and try to stop JC.

I would go 3 wide and run draws, qb draw.

There are plenty of things to do but my number 1 is always going to be throw the fade.

There is alot I would do different. First, I would take shots at the endzone before I got inside the 10. Take them at the 20, or 25. Cambell has looked good throwing balls in that yard range, and the defenese still have to play the whole field. Second, as said by many, throw a damn fade route to one of our 6'3 and taller WR's. Third, I would spread the field inside the 5 (go 4 wr) and maybe run a draw or a QB keeper. Forth, I would make sure NOT to run to the left side 70% of the plays inside the 20. We have shown we are not going to be successful doing that.

Build a stout offensive line that dominates the point of attack.

That will give you options to run, and pass. And when things are covered, they'll buy your QB more time. Knowing this, your QB, WRs, and RB will have more confidence. You will wear down defenses. You will win.

Finally, someone that knows football!!!!

Not a knock on the rest of you, but I've been saying this same exact thing for about 4 years.

Also, the dominating Oline can extend drives, which allows your defense to rest (which is a HUGE advantage in 2nd half).

Put Campbell in the 'Gun ... Spread the field & give Portis the option to block or break into a route, taking what the defense represents in consideration ... And make them beat you! We have talent, a lot of it ... It means nothing on paper, you must let the players play!!!

I would pretty much never run the ball from around the 8 yard line. It seems dramatic to say "never", but it doesn't seem to work. And not just for the Skins, I mean for anybody (yes, it must work sometimes, but it seems very rare).

It seems like the likely upside is 2nd and goal from the 5. Well, now you have two shots to throw into the end zone rather than 3. And if anything it seems HARDER to complete a TD pass from the 5 than the 8. Or you run it again on that play and now you usually get a 3rd down from the 3. Same problem.

The runs there just seem to give you less shots at the end zone without increasing your odds of those pass plays succeeding. And it seems like teams almost never are able to run it in from the 7,8, 9 yard line.

Maybe a screen or slant gets you inside the 5 and you run then, but first and goal from the 7-10, I just wouldn't run it.

Kelly and Mitchell as WR's and/or a two tight end set. If you go with the TE set, then you do what Dallas does with Romo sits to pee and Witten and have Cooley or Davis chip and then roll out and catch the pass. If you go with the WR's then you line them both up on either end and spread the field. Taller recievers can cathc the high balls and if you are far enough out you can hit the fade.

How about a "special" Redzone package with the taller Receivers, two pass-receiving TEs, and Portis as the Run threat.

...Oh yes, ...and bring in Collins as QB just to run these specialized redzone packages!

This is one area of the field where Collins might be a good fit. The distances involved are shorter so his arm strength isn't as important. Collins is a skilled QB who sees the field well, makes quick decisions, is accurate, has a wide variety of touch passes, high arc passes, etc. He throws a very catchable ball too.

Collins is a very smart QB capable of making audibles/adjustments and has shown aptitude for scoring in the redzone. His only downside is lack of mobility, but he makes up for that in being a quicker passer, who has specialized in finding those briefly open short yardage gains. Also opponents don't have as much film to prepare for Collins either, so trick plays, or no huddle offenses might be possible too.

It would be like in baseball where you bring in the closer -- a "specialized Redzone QB". Let Collins run the redzone practices all week, so he's extremely familiar with those packages -- but he only comes in redzone situations, like from when the LOS is the 15 yardline or closer.

No offense intended to Campbell; he's still the starting QB. But trying something new is worth a shot -- and it might give the team a lift when in the endzone. Sometimes a small shakeup can help lift a team out the rut; the Skins seem to be in one whenever they get in the redzone.

We should line up Big Mike as a tight end as an extra run blocker. Putting him on the left side would create an extremely powerful side next to Samuels and Dockery and would also set up play-action bootlegs to the right even more. And putting Big Mike next to Heyer would create an even balance on both sides of the line, preventing teams from crashing our left side and helping our clearly-weaker right side pave larger running lanes.

Archived