Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So how would you fix the RZ problems?

eljeasel

We all have pretty much seen that we can apparently get the ball down the field and into the Red Zone. The problem of course is getting into the end zone. Ill admit that I dont really know too much about footballs and the intricacies of the game. So I turn to you guys (theres some guys on here who have played and some very smart people too).

We could talk about the general things. Honestly I think by throwing 50% or more it would naturally bring more points but thats not what I wanna talk about.

If you have seen a particular play that you think would work here, what is it? Conversely if you think we dont have the capability for it you could voice your opinions here.

Example: I notice alot of teams use their RBs on swing passes. I personally think that Portis's skills as a receiver espcially coming out of the backfield is underated. Also, Betts and Mason would be pretty solid at this too. Sellers managed 9 TDs one year catching balls in the flat.

However lets say you really liked running the stretch play, but you think for example the line is suspect you do the following: The stretch would really help out but I dont think our line is (athletic, quick, good enough) to make it work.

Another thing I think we could run is the naked bootleg, especially when inside the 10. I think Campbell's scrambling ability and teams knowing we like to run left would leave Campbell either uncovered or with room to make a move and get 6.

Id like to run the fade on the outside but Im still not sold we can run it consistently, though Id like to see it called.

So there it is. Throwing to the RBs, Sellers in the flat, Throwing in general more, Naked Bootlegs, and maybe the fade.

What about you guys?

THROW THE F'ING BALL!!!!!! Stop losing your balls when you have to hand the keys to JC in the red zone, Zorn. Its a disgrace that you say your confident in him being our starter but then you handcuff him everytime you get down there. Im not saying Portis cant be in the equation but he doesnt have to be the only component, run run pass aint gonna get it done. Its too predictable.

Well the obvious would be to throw the ball more. Hell, even a play action pass might work. Fade routes could do well, especially with the taller receivers (obviously). Running could still work but not the predictable runs (ie, to the left, stretch). It really wouldn't be that hard, 4WR sets, 5WR sets.

Shouldn't be too hard to mix things up.

Sellers is a good option, but to be honest, we shouldn't be THROWING to our FB when we have 2 WRs, an elite RB, and 2 6'4" WR's in the formation.

Sellers had an opportunity to make a play today and didn't do it.

Throw to any eligible reciever when he's open.

I don't care if Sellers and Yoder lead this team in TDs and receptions. Points, yards, and wins are all that matter.

We have to get better in the running game period. There's your start. Not having any sense of a run threat down in the red zone is simply unexcusable. We should get Sellers involved in some quick hit FB dives as well.

That said, Zorn needs to not be so predictable down there. Run, Run, Pass every single trip down there just isnt smart playcalling wise.

The way to NOT score in the redzone is just how we have been doing things. Run run some fancy play. Let JC step back and throw the ball, or at least try a fade route to one of our big receivers. The red zone posessions for us consisted almost entirely of taking the ball out of JC's hands, with the exception of some third downs(some).

I'd put our bigger receivers in (Cooley, Davis, Kelly, Mitchell) and call some fade passes and bootlegs here and there instead of running to the left 3/4 plays.

It's not like it's hard to change things up a little, unless they only have 2 or 3 red zone plays. Which is what its beginning to look like.

I don't agree with BLC in almost anything, but his version of Zorn's redzone play chart (in his sig) is pretty much what I picture it as.

Archived