Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Patriots Trade Richard Seymour

f_trizzy

there is no way they would be able to afford vince wilfork and richard seymour next season, so they cut their losses and they literally got an offer they couldn't refuse. no way would they have gotten anything close to that value from any other team.

now they can resign wilfork for a fat contract, and probably make tom brady the highest paid player in the league. either way. its a perfect play by the Pats.

Woah, what a trade. Surprising move(and boneheaded on the part of the Raiders).

You think after his current contract expires, Seymour would not resign, and go back to NE and finish off his career there? I could see it.

It could definitely happen, and very well may happen. It'd be pretty cold, if it did... but hey that's life.

Actually, I take back what I said before, having looked at the contract the trade is horrible.

Personally, I think Seymour is worth a 1st round pick......if he had 3 or so years left on his contract.

BUT, he has only 1 year left on his contract. They have a 0% chance of resigning him. No way he stays in ****ing Oakland.

Bad trade.

I applaud the Patriots for their ability to sever ties with great players, but this is a suspect move for them. Sure, they will end up with a high pick in two years, but where are they gonna get supplemental production from?

Losing a HOF caliber DE when you've set yourself up for a serious title run in '09 seems sketchy to me. There must have been some issues with Seymour and the Pats FO. I am guessing with one year left on his contract, he was getting ready to demand some heavy scratch, and New England was balking at the idea..:2cents:

Edit to say: Derrick Burgess is NOT an adequate replacement.

Nice read, if he will be 31 ish asking for big money I guess the Pats decided not extend his contract. You have to applaud their long term thinking. Get a high first round pick in two years and lose just one year for a 30 year old player that might not play every game because of injuries. Not saying he will get hurt, but Dline guys don't last as long as other positions.

Al Davis has not idea how to think long term or evaluate how good his team really is.

What I want to see is what happens when Brady leaves. Having a HOF QB allows you to make gambles like this. Just have to see if the FO can find a high quality QB to replace Brady when he is done. I guess they can use the Raiders first round pick in two years to do so.

This is a very interesting trade on many levels:

1) if you were gearing up for another Super Bowl run, why not keep a solid, valuable veteran DE? Even if you only have that player for one more year, 'you play to win the game' now! This runs counter to so much of Belichik's past history.

2) Kraft is one of the most important and influential owners in the NFL. Is this a signal that the NFL expects to negotiate a new CBA and avoid a work stoppage next year?

3) Following up 2), above, why trade for a 2011 draft pick if you doubt that there will be a CBA in place for that season? There is a labor/management message here.

HTTR

:helmet:

It's in the wrong place here at the Stadium, but that's a valid point. Al lost his mind a long time ago.

dude someone needs to get that old man on some Donepezil and make him chill out...

actually, has it been confirmed that al davis is actually alive and that it isn't some 'weekend at bernies' ploy going on in the raiders org? tom cable may just be using him as a scapegoat:D

I really don't like the way that a team such as New England is getting more because of what Oakland has done. Almost as if Oakland is on New England's side or something.

32 people running a race, Oakland has no intention of winning the race so they sabotage the other racers so that New England can get ahead.

It's definitely not the same thing but it's along the lines of how I feel about stuff like this.

Who on our roster can we trade for the Raiders 2010 first round pick? Seriously, there's got to be some way to get a piece of this.

Perhaps this will help the Raiders for this year, but for a first rounder? Dumb move, especially since Seymour is entering the twilight of his career.

Archived