Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Sports Bog: Who's D.C.'s Most Popular Athlete?

MattFancy

Are you still old-school and carry change around in your pockets?!  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still old-school and carry change around in your pockets?!

• Yes
    • No
    • Coins are now a myth.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/

Three years ago, UnWise Mike wrote a column, dubbing Clinton Portis D.C.'s most popular athlete, ahead of Gilbert and Ovechkin. Two years ago, I did a similar Top Six list, leading with the same three names as Wise, but in a different order: Gilbert, then Portis, then Ovechkin. Then a few months ago, the AP's Joseph White wrote this:

Ovechkin has clearly become Washington's No. 1 sports star -- ahead of the Redskins' Clinton Portis (who seemed to spend all of last season grumbling about one thing or another) and the Wizards' Gilbert Arenas (who hasn't played all season because of a knee injury).

So is it a done deal then? I certainly thought so, and for months I've told anyone who asked that Ovechkin has the crown, full stop, next question. But then I started chatting with Wise the other day, and he still disagreed. If we were in a room with Ovechkin, Portis, Gilbert and a random sampling of D.C. area residents, he asked, would Ovie really attract the biggest crowd? I said yes. Wise said no.

But who cares what we think? Let's find out what you think? Even cooler, I'm going to find out what the local media thinks, via the first ever D.C. Sports Bog Top 5 Athlete Poll. To me, there are only five reasonable answers for the top spot: the three names of above, plus Zimmerman and Cooley, but I'll let the people speak. And, of course, I asked some wise observers for their thoughts on who's most popular. Read the thoughts of Portis, Cooley and Smoot below.

click link for more

So what do you guys think? Who is the most popluar athlete in the area?

UnWise Mike is a moron. He was trying to list off all of the popular players in the area, and actually forgot to mention Ovechkin (his co-host had to throw in the name). Ovechkin should be the #1, but he plays hockey and is Russian, which are 2 counts against him. Portis (for now) probably is, but if the Wiz start winning next season, it'll be Gil.

Personally, my favorite on the list is Cooley. But then again I don't follow hockey or basketball, and I'm an O's fan. In general though, I get the feeling that Ovechkin is more popular among MD/VA/DC sports fans because there's no competition. There's no Baltimore hockey team to divide loyalties, and Ovechkin is basically the only star on the Caps.

Good points, Ghost. But something, too, that Ovechkin has going for him is that he's the equivelant (roughly) of a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning to the NHL. Something that this area hasn't had in quite some time as well. If hockey were bigger in this town he'd blow everyone away.

Personally, my favorite on the list is Cooley. But then again I don't follow hockey or basketball, and I'm an O's fan. In general though, I get the feeling that Ovechkin is more popular among MD/VA/DC sports fans because there's no competition. There's no Baltimore hockey team to divide loyalties, and Ovechkin is basically the only star on the Caps.
Green is somewhat of a star. Varly too. Of course, with Ovi, being the best player in the league, and NOT EVEN IN YOUR PRIME YET...

First off, Ovechkin is a niche star in a niche sport.

Gilbert is DC though. He's fully ingrained himself into the culture while I feel like Ovechkin and Portis just play here.

If the Wiz do well, Gil may equal Ovi. But "niche sport"? Tell that to the 19-20K Rockin' the Red.

Gilbert is DC though. He's fully ingrained himself into the culture while I feel like Ovechkin and Portis just play here.

You sure? Caps shirts etc. are all over the place now, even in the heart of "non hockey" DC. The moment the Caps finally get to round 3 every other athlete will literally be left in the dust.

Nobody talks about Gilbert outside of DC. He hasn't even been an athlete in a year. He can take the #1 spot but it's going to take some winning.

Gilbert would have left if we didnt give him that huge contract. How ingrained is he really?

Everyone knows who ovechkin is on some scale, just like everyone knows who Sidney Crosby is. They may be the only two, but people know 'em.

Portis. I wouldn't know Ovechkin if I saw him. Most people that pay attention to the NFL know who Portis is- and I think there are more people that pay attention to the NFL than the NHL.

I don't think a ton of people outside the DC area know who Cooley is. Portis is much more recognizable.

Edit: I know it says DC's most popular athlete....and I don't change my vote. Portis.

Thought experiment: each team without said player.

NATIONALS: Eh, it would suck, but...

WIZARDS: Look at most of last season.

REDSKINS: Sellouts still

CAPS: ticket sales fall; team MIGHT not make playoffs

Archived