Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Sports Bog: Who's D.C.'s Most Popular Athlete?

MattFancy

Are you still old-school and carry change around in your pockets?!  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still old-school and carry change around in your pockets?!

• Yes
    • No
    • Coins are now a myth.

Caps are the "hot" team in DC, and a lot of heads have taken notice of their surge over the past season or two...it USED to be Gil, but when dudes in the barbershop started talking about AO and the Caps, you know there has been a changing of the guard as far as who the most popular athlete in DC is...

In 2006. Portis. From the moment the Caps made the playoffs, it's Ovechkin. Period. Even Wale is obsessed with Ovechkin. Portis had been dethroned. And it'll become even more obvious after the Caps make the playoffs again and OV wins MVP #3 in a row.

Actually it hasn't been Portis since 2005 before Arena's breakout year (which was actually 2004 but everyone thinks 2005 was better even though it wasn't).

D.C.'s best athlete (at their respective sport)? Ovechkin.
Well, THAT'S :obvious:

-Cooley the best tight end? Gates, Witten, Gonzalez

-CP the best RB? Say hello to AP

-Zimmerman? :no:

-Ovi's the best in the NHL (some may say Crosby and Malkin, but Ovi's won both the MVP AND the most outstanding player-as voted BY the players-for the past 2 seasons)

Right now it's Ovechkin and it'll probably stay that way for the next decade unless we have a superstar QB sometime down the road.

But a few years ago, it was Arenas and it wasn't even close. Wizards were the only team winning and Arenas was a great player despite what the haters want to say now. Once the Wiz make the playoffs next year as one of the best teams in the East, the bandwagon will be full again.

At this point, if I as offered a free authentic Ovechkin jersey and Portis jersey, I'd take Ovechkin without thinking twice. It's been what, since Mark Mosley in 1982 that D.C. has had an MVP and he's done it twice.

Let me further put it in perspective.

NO, and I mean NO player in NHL history has failed to make the Hall of Fame with at least 2 Hart (MVP) Trophies and 2 Pearson (Best Player as Voted by NHLPA) Trophies. Ovechkin, already has achieved that.

Only THREE players in NHL history have amassed 200 goals and 200 assists in their first four seasons. Ovechkin is one, the other two are a couple of guys named Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

Ovechkin joins Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mike Bossy and Brett Hull as the only players in history to hit 200 goals in less than 300 games. He was the fifth fastest to 200 goals and in a far lower scoring era than when they played.

And finally, as of now, Ovechkin is #1 all-time in playoff goals per game (and is called a choker by some on this board).

------------------------

The buzz around school when the Caps beat the Rangers was crazy. Portis..meh, Arenas..who, does he still play? The morning after Ovechkin's spin-o-rama goal vs. the Canadiens, I walk down the hall, someone goes, dude did you see Ovechkin's goal last night?!

D.C. Sports has entered the Alexander Ovechkin Era.

And yes, his hockey career, barring major injury (knock on wood) will surpass Darrell Green's football career.

Well, Ovechkin is probably the most popular in the whole world. More people outside of this country know who he is. Stick him and Portis outside of this country and Ovechkin will be more popular.

Just because people don't like hockey doesn't mean that Ovechkin isn't popular.

However, I wouldn't mind hanging out with Ovie, Portis, or Cooley.

I don't think Gilbert should even be listed. Wake me up when he has a healthy season and wins something.

I'd say Portis and Cooley are probably more recognizable than Ovie. That is to say, they'd gather more of a crowd. Gil was up there, #1 up until about a year or two ago but those injuries have driven him down. But I'd definitely say Portis or Cooley.

Depends on where you go.

The Caps are the area's hottest team now and Ovechkin is the face of the team, league. The Caps sold out almost every home game this season,. TV ratings increased over 50%. Maybe in the DC neighborhoods but in the surrounding areas, OV would.

Ovechkin by a mile. The most exciting player in his sport. None of the other players can bring their fans to their feet just by having possesion of the puck/ball. Was the biggest part of turning DC into a hockey town. That says alot.

I'm surprised how much Ovi is dominating by! I last check this thread yesterday evening and Ovi was leading Cooley by like 5 votes or so. I agree that Ovi is a great player and easily the most exciting to watch. But I don't think he's the most popular. I think if you lined up Portis, Cooley, Ovi, Arenas, and Zimmerman on the street. More people would recognize Cooley and Portis. But I guess I'm wrong lol

I'm surprised how much Ovi is dominating by! I last check this thread yesterday evening and Ovi was leading Cooley by like 5 votes or so. I agree that Ovi is a great player and easily the most exciting to watch. But I don't think he's the most popular. I think if you lined up Portis, Cooley, Ovi, Arenas, and Zimmerman on the street. More people would recognize Cooley and Portis. But I guess I'm wrong lol

This isn't 2005 anymore. The Caps are an established contender. He's won two MVP's. got the key to the city and is on the news every segment for something crazy. Unless you went into the REALLY "anti-hockey" areas of D.C. it's Ovechkin.

This isn't 2005 anymore. The Caps are an established contender. He's won two MVP's. got the key to the city and is on the news every segment for something crazy. Unless you went into the REALLY "anti-hockey" areas of D.C. it's Ovechkin.

Yeah that's true. Hockey is starting to make a huge comeback in DC now. Like I said, there's no debate that he's the best and most exciting athlete in DC. I just didn't think he was as popular as some of the others, but I was clearly wrong.

Archived