Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Informer: Xbox 360 at 54.2 percent failure rate

heyholetsgogrant

I have gone through three 360s and I barely even use it.

They've replaced them for free, but still.

I would get a PS3 but all the good games seem to be on the 360. Plus, I already have a stand-alone BR player and really don't play that many games anyway.

But the 360 failure rate is ridiculous. Objectively speaking, the PS3 makes so much more sense at this point.

Not true at all. PS3 has plenty of AAA titles. They have an amazing stable of 1st party developers.

I see this hurting M$ more in the next round of console wars than right now.

I have both and I still love my 360 as a gaming machine - although it's extremely embarassing that they didn't nip this error in the bud when it first started. I think the new chips that came out in the beginning of the year have finally fixed the problem but who knows.

Love both PS3 and 360 - great machines when they work right.

My 360 crapped out earlier this year. I would have gone with Sony instead of MS but delaying their system launch and jacking up the price gave me no choice.

I'm happy with the 360 games though. Gears of War and Mass Effect made the three weeks waiting for MS to fix my machine worth it.

I have both and I still love my 360 as a gaming machine - although it's extremely embarassing that they didn't nip this error in the bud when it first started. I think the new chips that came out in the beginning of the year have finally fixed the problem but who knows.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. I know a couple of people that had the new chipset and have already had to send it back. My brother got one and it was DOA. It's unfortunate because there are alot of top notch games on the system but the hardware sucks.

My 360 crapped out earlier this year. I would have gone with Sony instead of MS but delaying their system launch and jacking up the price gave me no choice.

I'm happy with the 360 games though. Gears of War and Mass Effect made the three weeks waiting for MS to fix my machine worth it.

Better to delay it and release a finished product than rush something out the door and roll the dice. It may have worked out for them in the short term but consumers aren't going to forget the next go around.

this is how i feel

i have both systems (although i really only use the ps3 for blue-ray)

i love the 360 as a gaming system and i think its better than ps3, but the failure rate is an embarrassment

I've had my 360 for 2 years now and I've never had the RROD but it does overheat like a mofo. If it's more than 77 degrees in my house I can't play. I'm going to try bpoch's fix and see if that works.

Here is a link on how to do it and the list of screws sizes you need.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

The hardest part is getting the case off, it's a ***** the 1st time you do it.

Same here. Got both an if I wanted to be objective I have more fun with the 360 for multiplayer games. Get most of my singleplayer an exclusives on the PS3 though. If you could give me LIVE on the PS3 I'd probably only have 2 consoles this gen.

MLB 09 The Show and Blu Ray are single handedly what makes the PS3 better to me. I am not much of an online guy so I don't care that M$ has the better online structure. The kids (seems like the majority, but I am not on enough to know) that play online like to cheat at every possible opportunity in any game make online gaming useless to me.

Anyway, I went through 3 360's in 2 years before getting the 4th one back from M$ and Craigslisting it along with all the games and rock band stuff.

Have had my Ps3 for 2 and a half years and am still on the 1st console.

No problems with my wii:silly: I have been contemplating a 360 or PS3 just for some of the games. I just didnt want to spend the money when I dont play all that much. I want Madden but I do not think it will be very good for the wii. Maybe I will break down and buy a PS3 now who knows.

I've had my 360 for a year and a half and have had no problems, but I will admit, I wish I got a PS3 instead. I just knew more people with 360s, so I got it so I could play with them on Live.

My brother has a Wii and it already crapped out on him. He sent it in to Nintendo and got it back fixed, without charge.

The stat is not surprising. I will still maintain that even with the 360's problems folks are still willing to go out and buy them because (right now) it's the better online/gaming experience.

I don't agree with all of the love for the 360 controller though. Try playing BlazBlue, Tekken, Street Fighter on that effer and you'll change your tune. It's definitely better for shooters than the Dual Shock, but the dpad and trigger/bumper set up doesn't work for me with some games.

I've had my 360 since they first came out and I've never had a problem. Every once in awhile it won't read the disc, but a quick open/close usually fixes that. Maybe it's because I got one of the first ones made, but I can't believe so many people have so many problems with the 360.

Archived