Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Maybe, but asking him to replace Sean instead of stay at SS lead to his welcome being worn out here because he couldn't do it. The few times we put him at his natural potion after, the difference was obvious, my first realization that you don't put your best safety at FS, you get a FS. A lot of players looked up to Sean, even today, believe he would've helped Landry mature way he did given they were playing together, or at least held off us getting rid of him a little longer.  When I think of Landry, I think of someone who lost his way.

My bad, didn't realize what you meant.  Yes, totally agree.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

That really isn't true.

Even when the Redskins were doing well or were having a great game that week, the threads are still overtly hostile and negative.

Regular season game day threads, to me, are just the gutters where the foulest sewer trash material on this board flows through.

They can be quite unenjoyable. Even if the Redskins are winning big.

You kinda gotta tune a lot of that out and work with people that don't roll like that (plenty of them).  A lot of times I'm more focused on the game and get lucky seeing something  someone agrees with me on.  I'm not going to get into a debate in the game day thread, game is more important 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You kinda gotta tune a lot of that out and work with people that don't roll like that (plenty of them).  A lot of times I'm more focused on the game and get lucky seeing something  someone agrees with me on.  I'm not going to get into a debate in the game day thread, game is more important 

There’s this really annoying poster who likes to point out and predict every 1st down 1.3 yard (or less) rushing attempt.  He’s obnoxious.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is some of that, but there are a few posters I really enjoy following in the game day threads.

though you might be referring to me sewer trash material, as I am a regular poster in the game day threads.  If so, you might be on to something...  :P

No no I'm not talking about your posts.

Your posts are trash from a really fancy house. Not sewer trash. ;)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hope Giants don't end up with Mack, Gettleman their Gm is an aggressive dude in a win now mode

Eric GalkoVerified account @OptimumScouting
FollowingFollowing @OptimumScouting
More

#Raiders have put Khalil Mack on the trade block. #Jets, #Packers #Giants (among others) are interested.

Wow, Mack is a true game changer and could make our foes much better.  Or maybe for Preston smith and a first, he makes the Redskins much better.  Well worth a phone call. One gruden helping another gruden out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Wow, Mack is a true game changer and could make our foes much better.  Or maybe for Preston smith and a first, he makes the Redskins much better.  Well worth a phone call. One gruden helping another gruden out.

I don't think anyone is worth Payne and Smith. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think anyone is worth Payne and Smith. 

A couple things:

1. It's hard to argue Mack is one of the best defenders in the game.  He plays a premier position at edge rusher. Preston smith is good and all, but I feel his hype is partly due to potential and what he can become.  He isn't anywhere near the level that mack is.  And Mack is in his prime at 27 years old.  Teams need elite players like mack to get over the hump and win championships.  Here is our chance to pounce.  Imagine Ryan kerrigan as the second best olb "on the other side" that teams aren't paying attention to.  Wow.

2. Just to be clear, I was proposing a 2019 first, not Payne, but I'm guessing you understood that and are just using our most recent player taken in the first for context.   First, I feel Payne is special and will be better than the average 13th pick.  Given he is the new force on a revamped d line, his impact will seem huge. I also think with the addition of mack, the skins are a playoff team, picking no earlier than 21st next year, and therefore not as high as Payne was taken.  Lastly, even if it was this particular situation, would you rather have mack and kerrigan on the edge with settle in the middle, or Preston and kerrigan on the edge with settle in the middle.  I vote team mack in a landslide.

We also don't even know if we will be able to extend smith, and I'm not a fan of the franchise tag game. The trade for mack would need to be part of an agreement on a LTD, because I wouldnt give that up for a one year rental.

I know smith and a first rounder is a good package, but for an edge rusher in his prime, who can play multiple positions in diverse schemes, you absolutely pounce on that opportunity.

36 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Are you stalking me?  We just moved into what might be considered a fancy house.  Please let me know if you are stalking me so I can call the police...

Stalking you? You barely have enough bushes for that! 

37 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

A couple things:

1. It's hard to argue Mack is one of the best defenders in the game.  He plays a premier position at edge rusher. Preston smith is good and all, but I feel his hype is partly due to potential and what he can become.  He isn't anywhere near the level that mack is.  And Mack is in his prime at 27 years old.  Teams need elite players like mack to get over the hump and win championships.  Here is our chance to pounce.  Imagine Ryan kerrigan as the second best olb "on the other side" that teams aren't paying attention to.  Wow.

2. Just to be clear, I was proposing a 2019 first, not Payne, but I'm guessing you understood that and are just using our most recent player taken in the first for context.   First, I feel Payne is special and will be better than the average 13th pick.  Given he is the new force on a revamped d line, his impact will seem huge. I also think with the addition of mack, the skins are a playoff team, picking no earlier than 21st next year, and therefore not as high as Payne was taken.  Lastly, even if it was this particular situation, would you rather have mack and kerrigan on the edge with settle in the middle, or Preston and kerrigan on the edge with settle in the middle.  I vote team mack in a landslide.

We also don't even know if we will be able to extend smith, and I'm not a fan of the franchise tag game. The trade for mack would need to be part of an agreement on a LTD, because I wouldnt give that up for a one year rental.

I know smith and a first rounder is a good package, but for an edge rusher in his prime, who can play multiple positions in diverse schemes, you absolutely pounce on that opportunity.

We were one of the best pass rushing in the league last year. Why throw valuable resources into a hole that's not there?

I'm not very high on Smith at all. 

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

So, the question is, why is he on the trade block.  I'm pretty sure big brother would warn little brother off if there was something other than money.  

Also, if it's money, then Bruce is probably as cheap as Jon, so that seems like it wouldn't work.

And finally, I might trade Preston for Mack straight up, knowing Mack is better, but I am not sure I would throw in an additional first.  Part of that is because I have absolutely no confidence in this team this year to do better than 8-8, and I think 6-10 is more likely than 10-6, and I wouldn't want to trade away a potential top-10 pick. And I don't think Mack by himself changes that prediction.  

I hope like hell I'm wrong, but that's the way I evaluate it...

• Like 1

Based on how this FO does business I think Preston and Norman are gone next year, we could use either along with a pick to get him.

Problem is Jon Gruden knows those players and probably wouldn't want them.

Edited by JSSkinz

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We were one of the best pass rushing in the league last year. Why throw valuable resources into a hole that's not there?

I'm not very high on Smith at all. 

I understand your logic, but an opportunity to make our front 7 elite is worth it to me.  The Giants d line won them 2 super bowls for an otherwise rather unspectactular team.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, the question is, why is he on the trade block.  I'm pretty sure big brother would warn little brother off if there was something other than money.  

Also, if it's money, then Bruce is probably as cheap as Jon, so that seems like it wouldn't work.

And finally, I might trade Preston for Mack straight up, knowing Mack is better, but I am not sure I would throw in an additional first.  Part of that is because I have absolutely no confidence in this team this year to do better than 8-8, and I think 6-10 is more likely than 10-6, and I wouldn't want to trade away a potential top-10 pick. And I don't think Mack by himself changes that prediction.  

I hope like hell I'm wrong, but that's the way I evaluate it...

You are right, there is a risk involved regarding our record this year.  I would still take the risk.  

I think our front seven will be a great unit this year as it stands.  Now imagine inserting the best player of the unit, Khalil Mack.  He is the type of the guy the offense is looking for the second they break the huddle.  They have been working on how to stop him all week.  Don't forget about kerrigan on the other side, if you don't account for him, he will make you pay.  Allen, Payne, ioannides are all beasts up front that not only occupy blockers, but can penetrate as well.  The offense already has their hands full, which allows the human missile Zach brown to fly all over the field and make plays. And Mason foster does well in his role, he may be the best "worst player" on any given teams front seven.  That group has a chance to be special. Special front sevens win championships. 

As far as your first two points, if there are any character concerns, deal is off.  Only pull the trigger if an LTD is done at the time of the trade.

But you are right, if we get the injury bug and some players disappoint, we may be giving the raiders a nice draft pick.  Looking at the Texans, who gave up what ended up being the 4th overall pick for deshaun watson, do you think they regret it after landing such an impact player?  They wouldn't undo the trade.  And that's pretty close to a worst case scenario.  

I know we have been burned by giving up draft picks for the sexy names in the past, but for an elite pass rusher in his prime, I think it's worth the risk.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Mack is a great player but you don't win championships trading 1st rounders for 27 year olds. Keep drafting/developing your own. When you're close to a chip and need that last piece to get over the hump, then sure roll the dice.

Here's why I think it's tempting: Preston is 25 so matter what he does this year he's getting overpaid.  I don't see him ever being as good as Mack, he's too nice, at least with Mack you get what you pay for.  I wouldn't surrender a first unless we had to, I'd offer Norman instead.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Are you stalking me?  We just moved into what might be considered a fancy house.  Please let me know if you are stalking me so I can call the police...

Well if I was stalking you, I wouldn't tell you.

BTW, you do have a fancy house. Nice doorbell. ?

I watched a video of Carson Wentz working out yesterday, he doesn't look anywhere close to being ready, I actually saw his leg buckle a little bit as he moved around in the pocket.

Its gonna be interesting to see how this injury affects him going forward.