Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

In all the hype and hoopla of the Joshua Norman signing.... something has been lost.

Since GMSM took over.... it's been a very tight-lipped front office. No leaks. We heard about signings on the day of.... without the slightest idea of players visiting. Visits were reported after the fact.

But this Normal ordeal... a lot of information came out early. Unprecedented. People knew when he'd arrive, how he was arriving, what coaches were on Redskins One, what players were participating in recruiting, Norman's visiting party, etc.

There hasn't been any leaks... until now. And we all praised the feature as a manifestation of a competent front office. So what changed?

Nice to have a professional FO, no? There are times to leak info, and times not to. I think the deal was done on the phone really, the night before.

Think about it. We were one of the teams that were identified as being interested very early. Most Redskins fans laughed it off as old media narratives. Then, it was quickly down to the Redskins and 49ers. He visits Washington the next day... where we are given the impression that it was just a matter of formality he signs.... and only in the 11th hour do we even hear that the Saints made a last ditch effort as a mystery team -- and that Drew Brees was willing to take a pay cut.

So we've witnessed first-hand.... that it is possible to remain incognito despite the high profile of the player.

I like the signing... don't get me wrong. But the way this story broke reminded me of the ways the old Redskins FO liked to do business. And I was kinda happy to be done with that.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1

Think about it. We were one of the teams that were identified as being interested very early. Most Redskins fans laughed it off as old media narratives. Then, it was quickly down to the Redskins and 49ers. He visits Washington the next day... where we are given the impression that it was just a matter of formality he signs.... and only in the 11th hour do we even hear that the Saints made a last ditch effort as a mystery team -- and that Drew Brees was willing to take a pay cut.

So we've witnessed first-hand.... that it is possible to remain incognito despite the high profile of the player.

I like the signing... don't get me wrong. But the way this story broke reminded me of the ways the old Redskins FO liked to do business. And I was kinda happy to be done with that.

Could be someone else letting info out also, like the players family, agents, etc.

Yeah, Die Hard is right, it should be bothersome seeing all that.

I'm just hoping that all the craziness surrounding the shock of the tag being rescinded; the resulting intense focus it generated by the entire NFL (imagine the Shefter's and Rapaport's all calling their sources non-stop); and the desire from Norman's people to talk about it since they were probably devastated, all lead to what we just saw and not what Die Hard is legitimately insinuating.

Plus, this excellent article (absolute must read posted by Hap in BRBN) details everything that happened fascinatingly well. It doesn't seem like it's bs to me:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/how-one-of-the-nfls-best-cornerbacks-suddenly-ended-up-with-the-redskins/2016/04/24/03f1aa62-0a57-11e6-bfa1-4efa856caf2a_story.html

This one is different. It was extremely high profile. Also we had a custom jersey made and express shipped to him and sent Redskins1 down with 2 coaches and a player to reruit him and his family.

This one touched a lot of people as we put the full court press on more so than Scot or Bruce making the decision to bring in a scout or mid level free agent for a visit.

Looks could have come from any number of places that wouldnt typically be involved and I don't think it's an indictment of our FO

• 3 weeks later...

Lol, Didn't want to be "The Guy" who starts a "Should We?" thread so I'll post it here... What's the deal with Brandon Boykin that he can't stick with a roster? Skills or Attitude? Oh... and "Should We" kick the tires?

It seems playing time is part of the issue and I don't see him having much chance with Norman/Breeland/Fuller.  Pass.

But I commend you for putting this in the best thread option.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 1

It seems playing time is part of the issue and I don't see him having much chance with Norman/Breeland/Fuller. Pass.

But I commend you for putting this in the best thread option.

Fuller with the micro fracture is no sure thing. I dont think Boykins would come here to compete for the 3rd CB position though. Maybe see how Culiver is doing in a couple months?

Fuller with the micro fracture is no sure thing.

You keep saying this as if his timetable is still pretty far out and we don't know the outcome of his rehab...he looks fluid already in drills and is almost 100%. I don't think he's a question mark at all, other than how he develops and plays on the field.

You keep saying this as if his timetable is still pretty far out and we don't know the outcome of his rehab...he looks fluid already in drills and is almost 100%. I don't think he's a question mark at all, other than how he develops and plays on the field.

That's your opinion, and I'm not sold yet. I will be when he's full go and doesn't have a relapse. And there is no guarantee he will work out even if he recovers fully.

That's your opinion, and I'm not sold yet. I will be when he's full go and doesn't have a relapse. And there is no guarantee he will work out even if he recovers fully.

Of course there's no guarantee even if he's healthy...but you just described every draft pick ever. Especially in the 3rd round.

And its not my opinion, there have been vids posted of his drills and he looks fluid, and the coaches, Scot, and Fuller himself all say he's almost 100% and will be good to go by training camp. Of course he could have a setback, but everything I said in that post about his rehab was factual as of today.

Of course there's no guarantee even if he's healthy...but you just described every draft pick ever. Especially in the 3rd round.

And its not my opinion, there have been vids posted of his drills and he looks fluid, and the coaches, Scot, and Fuller himself all say he's almost 100% and will be good to go by training camp. Of course he could have a setback, but everything I said in that post about his rehab was factual as of today.

Those are not facts. Those are opinions. While they might be informed opinions they are still opinions. I'll continue to wait and see how this works out.

One for the random thought file:

This thing where posters try to predict what different, dumber posters might post about a given topic, exaggerate it, and then sarcastically post it as a joke...its gotta be the worst thing to happen to ES since we lost the classic black background. Its been around a while, but really took off during the height of the Griffin years.

Newsflash, friends: These mock overreaction posts are way more annoying than the actual overreaction posts themselves.

Example: Su'a Cravens tweets about something other than football. It is quoted and someone posts something like "OMG shouldn't he be studying the playbook?!! BUST!!! ;)"

This makes me want to not only stab my own eyes out, but yours as well.

Let's self-police here, people. This is cringe-worthy and we're better than this.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

One for the random thought file:

This thing where posters try to predict what different, dumber posters might post about a given topic, exaggerate it, and then sarcastically post it as a joke...its gotta be the worst thing to happen to ES since we lost the classic black background. Its been around a while, but really took off during the height of the Griffin years.

Newsflash, friends: These mock overreaction posts are way more annoying than the actual overreaction posts themselves.

Example: Su'a Cravens tweets about something other than football. It is quoted and someone posts something like "OMG shouldn't he be studying the playbook?!! BUST!!! ;)"

This makes me want to not only stab my own eyes out, but yours as well.

Let's self-police here, people. This is cringe-worthy and we're better than this.

Is that really predicting what others might post though? I don't think it is, i think of it as just people trying to be funny. So what if people post that? Not harming you in any way, why not just scroll past it? Just an idea

You will never get anonymous posters to stop posting negative thoughts in this age of outrage. Like the Vernon Davis thread. The TMZ Kardashian Kulture of social media style of posting is here to stay unfortunately. You just gotta skip over some of the crap to get to the better stuff. I've been guilty in the past of letting my emotions get the best of me. I've been trying to make a better effort to be a better poster on this site.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 3

Is that really predicting what others might post though? I don't think it is, i think of it as just people trying to be funny. So what if people post that? Not harming you in any way, why not just scroll past it? Just an idea

Because its not funny. And yes, it really got big when RG3 "supporters" would go overboard beating RG3 "haters" to the perceived over-criticism, predicting what they'd post next and exaggerating it. Now its become a lame staple around here.

Its terrible. Your idea is also terrible.

Anybody think that the Silver Back Trent Williams lands in the top 25 of best 100 players?..I wouldn't imagine him being out of the top 35.

Any other year yes...last year felt, to me, he slipped a lil'....probably just me or an anomaly..he did make the pro-bowl, so should be in top 35...I put it at 25-35...so...30?

This is awesome. Cooleyfan is becoming an adult at Conn's expense. In the ATN and now here. 

I know...sometimes doesn't even seem like the same guy from just two years ago....lol damn liberal colleges...

• Like 1

Cooleyfan had to ditch the pull-ups at some point. He's given us some classic material lately, though. The post about following the Redskins cheerleaders on instragram, but only commenting on the room they're practicing in? It would be borderline genius if it wasn't so damn earnest.

• Like 5

It's good he went to MAB for lessons. Not only is he a monster player, he's a really nice, down to earth dude. I didn't know that.

CC DeVille has a degree in Music from NYU. He and Mick Mars would have been guitar GODS in the 90's. Yes, they sucked comparatively to the rest of the guys in the 80's, but compared to the last 25 years, they would be kings. For all the makeup, they can actually play. Maybe not virtuoso level, but more than competent.

And back when I was in garage bands in my teens and 20's the bar was pretty high. It's not that big of an insult really. Playing John Sykes and George Lynch and Paul Gilbert was no picnic, but if you couldn't, you had 5 guys behind you that could. Auditions were cutthroat!

@ Morneblade RE: guitarists from the twitter thread

Jimi, Stevie, Eddie...first and foremost IMO. Gilmour, Page, Beck, Lifeson, Keef, Summers, Vai, Dimeola, Howe...thats a dozen guys right there that should come before Creed, Motley Crue, Stryper/Stryker (whatever). And i didn't even even touch the old guys like Muddy, Buddy or the 3 Kings.

Stanley Jordan? Adrian Belew? Robert Fripp?

Edited by RedBeast
  • Like 2