Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of Attention Whores & Limited Ceiling Intelligence

TK

Yes, this is a great local board for discussion of topics from the area and away from the area. Most of the other boards I go to aren't regional to the DC area, mainly national hockey sites and computer forums.

I've only been around here since 2007 or something but this is a pretty good place

This is a great message board. Every once in a while, I'll send a link about a discussion from this board to some friends that are fan of other teams. They can't believe the level of conversation this site generates on a wide range of topics. Clearly, we have a wealth of genuinely well informed, well spoken posters on almost every topic that comes up.

If I have to overlook someone having a bad day (or a bad life?) that's not too much to ask.

That's all because I'm here.

I will be the first person to admit that I may be a part of the problem.

I don't normally call anybody out or try and demean anyone. I think I'm a generally good Tailgate poster. I think that this place is very friendly and I will often respond to somebodies post with a joke or off the cuff comment. I think it is usually taken well and we all have a good time with it. I'm not saying that I don't (try) to indulge myself with meaningful banter, but I'm usually in a light hearted mood when I'm here. ES takes a up a large part of my time in between work and sleep.

Like I said, I think my behavior is widely accepted by the ES public. There are others here who have the same sort of posting behavior. It so happens that most of us are under the age of 30. I recently have come to the realization that this kind of posting behavior probably annoys (for lack of a better word) others here in this forum. It seems that, more or less, our chumming around is a type of attention whoring (again, for lack of a better term).

Much like my distaste of the multi thread subjects, some posters probably don't care for my (and others) multitude of posts in a thread.

I'm kind of on the same page as SHF. I have been seeing many positives here, especially since the election ended. Though, I rarely take part in many of the non-political threads (mainly because I feel like an old fart who doesnt understand all this new fangled Gen Y lingo!)

THis place is literally been a second family to me. Back when I learned of my Mom's illness I saw the true heart and soul of ES and I'll never forget that fact, ever.

I always wanted to add a "s" to dictators name when I quoted him but I didn't want to get banned.

He will be back.

No he won't. I was the Best Man for his wedding. He's gone like Sanford's career. 2 kids (one baby), full time job, and he's doing some Fight Club type of thing. He has no time for ES anymore. This has been a long time coming.

When i was in the USMC some of you would have been sent to admin to go get a ID-10-T form. :D

There is also the ID-10-T error that comes up on a lot of computers!

I am one of the guilty ones who doesn't multi-quote, but in my defence, I was still on dial-up until recently. During that time, I had my forum settings to display 40 posts per page, and with multi page threads, I would open them in separate tabs. This allowed me to read one page whilst the next one was opening (slowly). Therefore, if I quoted a post on page two, my next quote may come from page three, so I've posted the first quote before even reading the second (I hope that's not as confusing as it sounds!).

This thread, for example, although containing 82 posts (before my reply), is only page three of the thread. I've quoted from page two, whilst page three has been opened in another tab. Post #82 is the second post on page three (with my settings).

I'm not a regular poster as I would be out of the loop when it comes to in-depth football (NFL) discussions. I have asked the occasional question (and thus, having to create a new thread), but I tend to read FIRST, then post later. I don't post for the sake of posting, only when I think I have something of value to add to the discussion. To confirm that, just check my info <----. I've been a member for just shy of 5 years, but have only 953 posts. I've seen members who have been here a month, and have cracked the 1,000 post barrier. How many of those were worthwhile?

With all respects to TK, limited ceiling intelligence isn't as much of a problem as the occasional intellectual arrogance displayed in the Taligate. :)

It's not just limited to the Tailgate either. :)

I'll chime in a little later about things,(which should ensure nobody else reads it). In the mean time,my feelings about E.S. nearly 4 years ago,still stand today.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=1737111&postcount=39

This is what I have learned from myself since posting here.

I am argumentative....which is not intended.

Now I try to stand down when I realize it's like banging your head against the wall.

I could call out some threads but I wont.

What I have learned from posting here, is everyone has an opinion. Some are intelligent, some are uninformed, some are stupid, some have no value. All are teaching experiences to me and how peoples life experiences affect their beliefs.

My personal challenge is when someone posts things so misguided, how do I keep my mouth shut. :)

I try not to post on things I have zero understanding of.

One other thought I had while re-reading TK's OP.

In the Ask a Mechanic thread, I quote everyone's questions separately. I figure that it works best that way as far as the format of that thread goes. That way, if there are responses to my answers, the posters don't have to waste time deleting an answer that doesn't apply to them.

I know it's just one little thread and probably doesn't matter but I'd gladly change the way I respond in order to stick to forum guidelines. That's all.

This isn't a butt kissing post...it's a post that supports structure...and that's it. Without it this board would be crap.

All the opinions in this thread are mute points, because the fact remains...when it all comes down to it..what the OP and others who run this board think is the only thing that matters.

Follow the rules people...it's that easy...if people have been banned it's because they didn't follow the rules. I don't think I have ever seen someone get banned for a reason that wasn't warranted. This isn't your personal Facebook/Twitter "current status" "What's on your mind" "I'm upset" "I just got home and I'm drunk" so let me start a thread about it update page...it's a message board...for discussions. Good ol fashioned DISCUSSIONS about what's going on in the world...the news...the latest album...latest show...latest war...etc...To me...THAT is what a tailgate is all about. NOT "Days of our lives let me put myself out there to look like a fool on the internets". No one likes a drama queen. Common sense and logic go a long way.

Also..for those that can't figure out the multi quote function...all you have to do is edit your post...click the quote button on the other post you want to quote...copy...and paste that mamma jamma into your edited post...Waalaaa...MAGIC

HAIL

Follow the rules people...it's that easy...if people have been banned it's because they didn't follow the rules.

Wow--so well done. Talk about "getting it."

Regarding this one key matter, it's really just that simple in the end.

There is also the ID-10-T error that comes up on a lot of computers!

We call those BCM errors. as in the error exists Between the Chair and the Monitor.

EDIT:

Now on the topic of the double-posting, I think it should be important to note the wording of the rule:

#

# Double Posting. A double post constitutes back-to-back posts by the same member. The second post may be considered spam. If you submit a post and realize that you have made a mistake or would like to elaborate further, please use the "edit" button/function (located at the lower right of each post) to edit the original post rather than create a new one for that purpose. An exception to the rule applies to a situation where a member wants to address the content of separate individual posts from different members. For example, the first point addresses the content of member A's post; the subsequent post addresses the content of member B's post.

Now if you don't want people posting back-to-back for quoting separate people, I think it would be at least fair to change the rules to state that as opposed to explicitly giving them the go-ahead to do so.

Now on the topic of the double-posting, I think it should be important to note the wording of the rule:

Now if you don't want people posting back-to-back for quoting separate people, I think it would be at least fair to change the rules to state that as opposed to explicitly giving them the go-ahead to do so.

If we're gonna get really really technical...

I think the wording applies in certain situations. Say you're going through a thread. You mark several posts to be multi-quoted. You get to the last post visible on your screen at the bottom of a page. You begin responding to said multi-quotes in your usual thoughtful manner.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to you, somebody else is typing out a post. He's even sending it. It's sent, but you don't see it because your screen isn't refreshed, and you're busy typing.

You finally post your post. You look at it. But you see a new post or maybe even two or three new posts above yours you hadn't seen before.

IMO, it's okay to quote it/them and reply to it/them - which would then leave two sequential posts from you. This would be within the wording of the rules.

...I'll chime in a little later about things,(which should ensure nobody else reads it). In the mean time,my feelings about E.S. nearly 4 years ago,still stand today.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=1737111&postcount=39

A masterpiece Jay. And the points are still just as valid today as they were then. Thanks for sharing.

Just a question here, not trying to knock the rules or the Mods.

Wouldnt it just be simpler to not allow the "you're an idiot" types of posts rather than allowing them and having all this contention, offense and confusion?

In a recent thread, it was suggested by one poster that it would be best for the earth if we cut down the rain forests. The idea is moronic. For the good of the human race, it should be exposed as such. Note that this is an attack on an idea not the person. Smart people can say stupid things.

This is far different than simply calling someone a moron in order to discredit them or avoid talking about the ideas and opinion that they present. It's not confusing at all.

And no, I'm not for political correctness taking away our ability to see and call the world as is is. Some ideas like the idiot conspiracy theories that pop up regularly here are so moronic and so damaging to rational discussion that the should be shot down with the greatest force possible. If an idea is stupid it's stupid and we should be allowed to say so. Just be prepared to back it up and explain why.

:2cents:

In a recent thread, it was suggested by one poster that it would be best for the earth if we cut down the rain forests. The idea is moronic. For the good of the human race, it should be exposed as such. Note that this is an attack on an idea not the person. Smart people can say stupid things.

This is far different than simply calling someone a moron in order to discredit them or avoid talking about the ideas and opinion that they present. It's not confusing at all.

And no, I'm not for political correctness taking away our ability to see and call the world as is is. Some ideas like the idiot conspiracy theories that pop up regularly here are so moronic and so damaging to rational discussion that the should be shot down with the greatest force possible. If an idea is stupid it's stupid and we should be allowed to say so. Just be prepared to back it up and explain why.

:2cents:

I see your point, in fact, I was deeply instructed on it not too long ago! (Zoony is still cool in my book.:D)

However, by allowing the verbage specifically, it opens the door for either misuse or oversensitivity. Either can be damaging to the board as well as open the door for the Mods to receive compaint after complaint.

To me, the better way is to ban the statement, and force another approach. It's easily done and could ease the Mod burdon and the ban risk overall.

That said, I think most of us should be OK with a being called stupid at times. I know Ive deserved it and others have as well.

Okay, let's try to clarify this. The following is my own take from what I've seen over the years. This has never been discussed by staff while I've been here, and it's not in the rules, so let's try to tackle this.

I've seen this "idiot" thing mentioned by TK before. As TK says in the OP, calling somebody an "idiot" is allowed. TK has mentioned this a number of times over the years, and each time he's mentioned it, it's always the same word: idiot. It's not "stupid" or "moron" or "dumbass." It's "idiot."

The word "idiot" seems to have a special place here on ES. And, as I understand it, calling somebody an idiot, such as "You are an idiot" is the lone noun allowed to be used when calling somebody a name.

I think the purpose of allowing this is it might cause a poster to place more thought into his post before clicking the "post" button. And this makes ES a better place.

If you'd like to use other words to describe a member, you'd be best off using them in reference to a poster's idea.

Examples:

"That's a stupid idea." is allowed. "You are stupid." is not.

"That's a moronic thought." is allowed. "You are a moron." is not.

The word idiot, though, is special. :)

This is the way I understand it, and if I'm mistaken, the staff will correct me. And that would be fine.

I see your point, in fact, I was deeply instructed on it not too long ago! (Zoony is still cool in my book.:D)

However, by allowing the verbage specifically, it opens the door for either misuse or oversensitivity. Either can be damaging to the board as well as open the door for the Mods to receive compaint after complaint.

To me, the better way is to ban the statement, and force another approach. It's easily done and could ease the Mod burdon and the ban risk overall.

That said, I think most of us should be OK with a being called stupid at times. I know Ive deserved it and others have as well.

Not a very libertarian approach IMO. :D

Seriously. What's needed is personal restraint. Mine first and foremost. We all need to temper our responses at times. I'll be the first to admit, I'm a cranky old **** and I often need a reminder of that. But at the end of the day we should be able to discuss the world as it is, and some things are just moronic. If we cant say it, or even argue over what is stupid and why, we are headed straight for an idiocracy.

---------------------------------------------

On the bright side, I just want to take this moment to thank everyone on this site past and present who has challenged me and debated me. You've all made me smarter either by providing new information and viewpoints or forcing me to learn more to defend my own.

I think the purpose of allowing this is it might cause a poster to place more thought into his post before clicking the "post" button. And this makes ES a better place.

Wouldn't not allowing that term also cause a poster to place more thought into his/her post and make ES a better place?

Archived