Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of Attention Whores & Limited Ceiling Intelligence

TK

Them's fightin' words.

Tech sucks!

;)

Seriously..what happened to the sticky threads?

I was wondering the same thing, I was going to look in the show yourself thread the other day... and it was gone. poof, vanished.

maybe a stickied show yourself IV is in order?

As some of you know, I'm on staff here. I'm too new to make a judgement for times during the season, but as of right now, there are plenty of mods/staff in place. I say this because, over all, people are pretty much in line here. Staff can peruse post after post, thread after thread, and not find any problems at all. We can go an entire day without a reported post from anybody, and many times when we do get one, it's a merge request. It's not like this place is out of control. The site is very much in control, and most of the reason is because of all of you. Almost all of you are good people with good intentions, and these good intentions are contagious. It does have a snow ball effect. It's cool to be an upstanding member of extremeskins.com.

I think it's human nature to miss the good old days when the site was smaller and more intimate. But I certainly wouldn't blame that on staff. This site is the best football site in the NFL. I think we can agree on that.

So naturally, it's going to attract members. Why? Because this site is the best football site in the NFL.

And trust me, we're going to keep it that way. Thus, the creation of this thread.

There are plenty of good, smart, hard-working people here on staff. And I can tell you we, the staff, are doing our best.

The founders have built this site and made it what it is. The hardest work has been done. All we have to do is maintain what is here already, be open to new ideas and willing (and able) to implement the good ones, and not become too content.

And I guarantee you we will keep this site as the best NFL forum on the internet.

As I said I'm not a part of the inner workings of ES at all so I'm really just talking out of nowhere, and the thing that I have in mind is just the complete swarm of idiotic threads and merges upon merges upon merges of idiotic threads, the sheer volume seems like it would be mind boggling from the outside looking in, especially during the season.

So naturally, it's going to attract members. Why? Because this site is the best football site in the NFL.
And I guarantee you we will keep this site as the best NFL forum on the internet.

Amen to these two points. This is literally the best NFL team forum/site in the league. I've ventured to other teams' boards only to find that the quality is shotty at best. Makes me especially appreciative of ES.

Seriously..what happened to the sticky threads?
I was wondering the same thing, I was going to look in the show yourself thread the other day... and it was gone. poof, vanished.

maybe a stickied show yourself IV is in order?

They've been moved, at least temporarily, to the Feedback Forum:

http://extremeskins.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Amen to these two points. This is literally the best NFL team forum/site in the league. I've ventured to other teams' boards only to find that the quality is shotty at best. Makes me especially appreciative of ES.
Thank-you, sir. :)

In defense of silly threads... there is a time and a great use for goofiness or bizzare abstractions, or idle, but deliberate conjecture. I find that exploration of thought on a topic to be very interesting and often fun.

It also allows us to talk/discuss/debate/joke on something where we aren't hunkered behind our battlelines. the only think I would wish changed about the silly thread behavior is that when people enter those threads they play along and have fun. Make a joke about the joke or continue the joke. All the "this is stupid" stuff is a waste and it errodes the potential of the joke.

I think it's pretty clear what purpose most threads serve and most of them can be savored. The one's that you are allergic too you shouldn't sample and if you do by accident, you oughtn't be surprised that you got a bad reaction.

Anyway, silliness, goofiness, and humor threads need to make a comeback, but more importantly we need to start laughing with each other and a little less at each other.

Given time and "real" work demands, I'll use this free moment to just make some general remarks about this thread (I've read up to page 3 but have to leave soon for quite awhile). First, I for one understand the use of the terms in the title as they relate to commonly understand "personas" or “traits” of such internet sites that anyone can identify as germane to the OP‘s point.

They are certainly appropriate to use here, IMO, and TK emphasized several times that it’s the idea of "extreme" versions of such behavioral traits and it is directly applicable "only a few", yet acknowledges how such activity also encourages trends that can be problematic to the best forum I would think we all want to share.

Something like this thread can bring it all more into the open for a bit and also serve to fairly remind us all that this is a site that strives for quality of content as much as "individual fun" and "community connection", all within the long-established rules and guidelines which everyone willingly agrees to learn and follow when they register their account.

Let that last phrase sink in, if you will. This is relevant to any discussion that includes consequences people receive for making choices that (usually repeatedly) violate a rule, or more than one, or run counter badly enough to any traditional guideline of ES. That's a choice member's make all by themselves, plain and simple, and in the cases of many bans, usually a choice made repeatedly.

By the way, just as people have feelings and opinions on the cons of banning someone “prominent“, so too will there will no shortage of those on the pro side with opposite feelings. We also get many of each type regarding cases when we “fail” to ban someone who many feel “deserves it.” We know it’s almost always lose/lose on our side, and we will sometimes be accused of bias on every side of every hot-button issue, or matter regarding some “forum personality", often simultaneously. :D

On that note, which due respect and appreciation for SOME of the more questioning input, it can often be a far different perspective from the audience seats than behind the screen in the production room.

Certainly the audience role does not include any duties or responsibilities for managing the board in as balanced a way as possible, trying to address "quality control" and "behavior problems" (almost always as reported by YOUR fellow members) between extremes of the "sloppy/dumb-to-mean/abusive/nasty/bad" end of the continuum to the "boring/stuffy/uber-rigid" point at the other end of the line.

Moreover and VERY pertinent, if you're not on this side of the screen you really have no idea of what all might be involved in any mod interaction with the member. ;)

I don't make that point as some blanket "excuse-card" (such is un-needed) but as a literal fact that, it seems to me, often fails to get consideration when I read some comments, even from wonderful and intelligent community members.

Just ONE “for instance“, referring to repeated problems with a member: when someone in the military or civilian life commits offenses repeatedly and then adds various behavioral conflicts with whatever (or a number of) authority figure(s) they end up dealing with, in a constant rinse-repeat cycle, there usually is a more serious consequence eventually than that for the occasional--but--nice, or first time, or very cooperative non-repeating offender. Even if you personally like th guy--in fact, one could easily argue, to not hold that person to the same standards as any comparatively "dull", non-popular, non-hyper-active or interesting member is the worst kind of bias.

If you're opining on some member’s banned status, and you're seeing their presence from just a "what pleases you" (selfish-but-not-in-a-bad-way) POV or "what you like on the board" or even if you're trying to take a broad community view into account, you're still going to be operating on very limited information about the matter(s) versus an active moderator.

You’re also likely to be framing your view of “support” without much attending to the fact that there may be 5 times as many who “can’t stand the dude" and are "glad he’s gone" and "the only reason you mods took so long is cuz he’s your buddy.”

Either way, on this topic, I am respectful of all such feelings, whether the opinions are well-informed, or similar to mine, or not.

In the case of more than one example, when a fairly well-adjusted person (new mods experience this) actually sees some well-known "colorful" member's user notes and all the violations/arguments with many mods and all things said in those PM exchanges and asks "wow--how/why did he last this long?", the answer is usually because we try to be like some of you are calling for---putting with many such interactions and many unpaid time-soaking (often unpleasant) encounters trying to salvage the situation because said person (regardless of whether we personally care for anything about their persona or not) is "colorful" etc. and “interesting to the forum.“

That was a long sentence. :D

Sometimes I do think that I'd like to see many of you sit here and do this for years and be so patient and take some of silly repeated straining, or flat-out crap, or even worse, from people, including those who often only tell part of the story (typical human stuff) to others, or go back to behaving within rules & guidelines for awhile once posting back in the forum before their next "issue" requiring moderator time and effort that you, the viewer, happened to miss entirely. :)

People who make comments about "frequency of banning" are really (and I don't mean this in an insulting way, just literal) speaking in relative ignorance unless they are on this side of the data. For instance, we may have the occasional spike where one thread/topic gets a few folks netted, usually after warning. But there also may have been weeks where hardly anyone gets an action and that goes un-noted. People tend to see just what piques their predilections, or what draws your attention given where you're at on the board at the time.

You're (most of you) not in as many threads in as many forums every day as much as possible as most active mods to know what's going on as well, even when just speaking of one of our forums. You really don't have any solid idea of actual ban rates from week to week, month to month, or what may create peaks or valleys, do you? : ).

Not that it matters in the end, just pointing it out.

Most recently, here & now, after warnings, we had one guy go from one thread, a couple from the rap contest, a one or two random across the stadium/other forums. All those who received actions for very were very understanding and cooperative about them and pleaded mea culpa. With one notable exception--a dude who was given what is currently a lengthy temp ban entirely consistently with numerous interactions that member has had with virtually every staff member past and present. But we like him too in a number of ways and all thought he was "a good guy at heart.” Some of you have called us “biased” in his favor in the past. :doh:

So, no, banning is not “on some rampage” (a number of bloodthirsty members think it should be) even if a number of posters here occasionally rampage themselves. :silly:

There is little actual change, ever, with managing the forum via our rules and guidelines other than certain adjustments to the dynamics introduced by changes in membership size and trends. TK, PCS, and I have been around here for enough time to be as aware of other intelligent old-timers here of what ES is like/about, but we do have much more information and a different role, in addition to being a regular ES member.

I will say that most of you have no idea how hard we try to keep some of those who are now gone around and how much time we spent on it (for free) but in the end they are responsible for their own REPEATED choices of behavior even after they have been painstakingly point out where they run afoul of rules and guidelines numerous times.

In closing, consider this" for every person (usually very few) who "mourn" a figure, that same figure generated endless complaints by your fellow members, and we often deal with far more accusations of various kinds for not banning folks than we ever get for banning. Just fwiw. (And long as this is <yes, I know, there's a reason I'm like that here when I think it's appropriate> it's just the tip of the iceberg). :D

Be well, ES.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Disturbing trend. Its one reason why I have not been on here as much as of late. Too much meaningless spam, vitriol, and these: :rolleyes: when somebody responds in earnest disagreement.

You're missed.

In defense of silly threads... there is a time and a great use for goofiness or bizzare abstractions, or idle, but deliberate conjecture. I find that exploration of thought on a topic to be very interesting and often fun.

It also allows us to talk/discuss/debate/joke on something where we aren't hunkered behind our battlelines. the only think I would wish changed about the silly thread behavior is that when people enter those threads they play along and have fun. Make a joke about the joke or continue the joke. All the "this is stupid" stuff is a waste and it errodes the potential of the joke.

I think it's pretty clear what purpose most threads serve and most of them can be savored. The one's that you are allergic too you shouldn't sample and if you do by accident, you oughtn't be surprised that you got a bad reaction.

Anyway, silliness, goofiness, and humor threads need to make a comeback, but more importantly we need to start laughing with each other and a little less at each other.

I would love everyone to understand one simple, obvious fact that seems to get mised at times.

ES will never lack for: silliness, goofiness, outrageous comments, nuts and whackjobs of all stripes, insightful intelltgent informed posters (granted, a minue minotriy :D) colorful characters and evrything else everyone is used to seeing in here every day. Such will ALWAYS be available here in ABUNDANCE every day. Get it?

We on staff will do our part, within the rules and guidelines, to try to keep this place from ever degenrating too far to where this becomse some much more typical lower-grade inteent habitat. We will do the best we can, unpaid flawed humans that we are, to perform our roles in this task. But is also and always a caring, connected, and thoughtful (in the "thinking" sense) membership, whether being goofy or brilliant, cranky or gentle, that will do a lot of the work.

Two notes on the whole multi-quote thing:

First, I'm not sure it works with all browser settings, because I'll be damned if I haven't tried everything to use multi-quote and I still load a single quote.

Second, even with that problem, I generally will copy-paste multiple comments from a certain poster that I want to respond to in one post. However, when I'm responding to more than one person, I tend to make separate posts, as it annoys the bejeezus out of me when I have to sift through a long post with ten quotes to find the one response to my own post. I'm perfectly willing to bow to popular opinion on whether or not this is a good thing, but can we at least consider it?

First, I'm not sure it works with all browser settings, because I'll be damned if I haven't tried everything to use multi-quote and I still load a single quote.

Second, even with that problem, I generally will copy-paste multiple comments from a certain poster that I want to respond to in one post. However, when I'm responding to more than one person, I tend to make separate posts, as it annoys the bejeezus out of me when I have to sift through a long post with ten quotes to find the one response to my own post. I'm perfectly willing to bow to popular opinion on whether or not this is a good thing, but can we at least consider it?

You're an intelligent man (no matter what everyone says :D) , Hubbs.

You should just know to do your best to follow forum etiquette while figuring that your posting behaviors as a member are not an issue being addressed. :)

Not to sound like a kiss-ass or anything, but I have always thought that Jumbo has the most insightful and even-keeled posts of the other mods since I've been on ES. It has nothing to do with the other mods. Just thought I would throw that out there.

****er can't type to save his ass.

Click the middle red button at the bottom of a given post. Part of it will turn green. Move on to the next post repeat. Etc. Ready to post? Click the Post Reply button at the bottom of the page, on the left. All your multi-quotes will appear and you can then type what you want where you want.
Not to sound like a kiss-ass or anything, ....
Sucking up again, are we? :silly:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with TK at Sunshine :)

I would love everyone to understand one simple, obvious fact that seems to get mised at times.

ES will never lack for: silliness, goofiness, outrageous comments, nuts and whackjobs of all stripes, insightful intelltgent informed posters (granted, a minue minotriy :D) colorful characters and evrything else everyone is used to seeing in here every day. Get it?

My comment twasn't really aimed at you or any of the mods. In fact, your tolerance is often shown and required with some of my sillier threads (I think I only have had one officially closed and it was very well deserved)

My thoughts were more aimed at the sourpusses and grumblosauri who seem to stomp over everyone's good times so frequently esp. in joke threads. If you (jumbo) are guilty of anything... it's on occassion of coming up with a better gag than me.

And that is truly unacceptable.

Although, while I agree that it is goofy and outrageous... I do think we've lost some of our collective silliness and playfulness.

Click the middle red button at the bottom of a given post. Part of it will turn green. Move on to the next post repeat. Etc. Ready to post? Click the Post Reply button at the bottom of the page, on the left. All your multi-quotes will appear and you can then type what you want where you want.

Sucking up again, are we? :silly:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with TK at Sunshine :)

MTH

Thanks for the update I have been wondering how to do that....

On that note, which due respect and appreciation for SOME of the more questioning input, it can often be a far different perspective from the audience seats than behind the screen in the production room.

Moreover and VERY pertinent, if you're not on this side of the screen you really have no idea of what all might be involved in any mod interaction with the member. ;)

If you're opining on some member’s banned status, and you're seeing their presence from just a "what pleases you" (selfish-but-not-in-a-bad-way) POV or "what you like on the board" or even if you're trying to take a broad community view into account, you're still going to be operating on very limited information about the matter(s) versus an active moderator.

Sometimes I do think that I'd like to see many of you sit here and do this for years and be so patient and take some of silly repeated straining, or flat-out crap, or even worse, from people, including those who often only tell part of the story (typical human stuff) to others, or go back to behaving within rules & guidelines for awhile once posting back in the forum before their next "issue" requiring moderator time and effort that you, the viewer, happened to miss entirely. :)

People who make comments about "frequency of banning" are really (and I don't mean this in an insulting way, just literal) speaking in relative ignorance unless they are on this side of the data.

You're (most of you) not in as many threads in as many forums every day as much as possible as most active mods to know what's going on as well, even when just speaking of one of our forums. You really don't have any solid idea of actual ban rates from week to week, month to month, or what may create peaks or valleys, do you? : ).

TK, PCS, and I have been around here for enough time to be as aware of other intelligent old-timers here of what ES is like/about, but we do have much more information and a different role, in addition to being a regular ES member.

I will say that most of you have no idea how hard we try to keep some of those who are now gone around and how much time we spent on it (for free) but in the end they are responsible for their own REPEATED choices of behavior even after they have been painstakingly point out where they run afoul of rules and guidelines numerous times.

So, essentially you're saying, in the immortal words of Jim Mora: "You don't know. You think you know, but you just don't know. And you never ... will."

Got it. :)

So, essentially you're saying, in the immortal words of Jim Mora: "You don't know. You think you know, but you just don't know. And you never ... will."

Got it. :)

Awesome :hysterical:

Of course, in the context of that place and time, and the matter at hand, Jim was far more right than he was wrong. :D

This is a great message board. Every once in a while, I'll send a link about a discussion from this board to some friends that are fan of other teams. They can't believe the level of conversation this site generates on a wide range of topics. Clearly, we have a wealth of genuinely well informed, well spoken posters on almost every topic that comes up.

If I have to overlook someone having a bad day (or a bad life?) that's not too much to ask.

We are truly a family here.

We deal with our ups and downs, share our frustrations, stand by each others' side when we need to, and piss each other off because we don't always share the same opinions. I guess I have been around long enough and read enough, to decipher certain posters habits...most of the time I can ignore the stupid stuff...but every now in then I can't help but respond to something silly or even stupid (my response is probably stupid or silly too).

But at the end of the day to me this board is family, and it keeps me entertained and distracts me often times from the frustrations in "the real world".

The Mods do an outstanding job overall, the members are just like anyone else you meet in life; some things are really cool about them, and sometimes you step back and say WTF.

Some of us older members do get nostalgic and miss the old days where the community was closer knit and we all knew each others styles more. But when you really look at it, some of these newer posters have done a great job contributing to the board and I for one commend their efforts, which is just as vital to continuing to build and appreciate this great Redskins fanbase that we have.

~ KH

(a la Bang) lol.

EDIT: P.S. - I am going on a beer run, does anyone need anything ?

Archived