Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo sports: Redskins nickname must go

DGREENHULK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I love how he goes however long writing about sports and whatever, undoubtly mention the Redskins from time to time, now all of a sudden he throws up in his mouth everytime he says it. BS

And if this is so offensive to so many native americans, why are there only nine people fighting to change. Like someone said before, it seems the only people offended by the term are white people.

My stance changed on this last November. I'm on the diversity committee at my firm and we had Native Americans come in for a presentation in full regala. They mentioned during their presentation how their are still very hurtful terms out there, spitting out things such as the n word and then comparing the N word with Redskins and how you can't even say the N word but there's a pro sports team named Redskins. If they have a problem with it, I'm not going to sit here and justify my position because it convienences me.

I say change it to just Skins. It works on many levels.

The day they make us change our name is the day i am no longer a football fan. The redskins i grow up watching and the day i die is the day i stop watching and loving them. But if they force us in court to change it im ****ing never watching football again.

No living Indian has ever had this name used in description of them. It's a non-issue. Long has been. Guilty white liberals merely have a hard time getting over their own sensitivity.
Then why have Native Americans been involved in a 17-year legal battle to get the name changed?

EDIT: Also it's ridiculous to claim that no living Native American has ever been called this in a derogatory sense. I've been called all types of names in many creative ways simply because my skin is black. I would be shocked if the same wasn't true for Native Americans.

Because it's not PC.

Last thing I want is this team renamed to something that has nothing to do with the area, like the Wizards. I lack enough creativity to think up an alternative name for this team. The Washington Snyders probably.

I would suggest they also go and protest the Minnesota Vikings,, an exclusive all white society that raped and pillaged anyone that was different than they were. They could go after the Raiders and the Buccaneers, because as we see, pirates are serious business, and should not be glorified by our kids. We need to tell the Giants to cool it, because people who suffer from gigantism could be offended.

But most of all we need to tell the people of Buffalo that their pro football team has to change it's name, because it SHOULD offend the living hell out of every native American.

Bill Cody earned the nickname "Buffalo Bill" by killing nearly 5000 buffalo by himself in an 18 month span. Historians constantly tell us that a major factor in the decline of western native tribes was their food supply was slaughtered wholesale, weakening the nations and bringing about much of what came after.

And yet there's the Bills, shamelessly honoring his name, and to rub the insult home, showing an image of the bison he killed as an homage to what he did.

Until I hear one of these people tell me the Bills need to change their name, then they can shut it about anything else.

~Bang

Then why have Native Americans been involved in a 17-year legal battle to get the name changed?

EDIT: Also it's ridiculous to claim that no living Native American has ever been called this in a derogatory sense. I've been called all types of names in many creative ways simply because my skin is black. I would be shocked if the same wasn't true for Native Americans.

They haven't. Seven lawyers have. And that's the fact.

They don't represent anyone but themselves. They are not making this complaint in the name of anyone else. There's no class suit, there's no tribal leaders driving this. There's a law firm driving this. For money and publicity.

~Bang

Oddly enough, many of the racial insults I've had to deal with have their roots in black racial insults. Any sort of Native specific insult tends to do with the stereotyped actions, not the skin color. Hell, I've heard sasquatch used, but never redskin.

ND's mascot is more offensive if you think about.

A drunken leprechaun looking to fight, wraps up the Irish in a neat little racist package.

yeah, but two wrongs don't make a right. So if somebody thinks the Redskins name is racist, it doesn't do any good to point your finger and say "look over there".

Lets change it to the Washington Negros? Or Even worse, The Washington N-Words, how bout the Washington Wetbacks, and we will see how many people defend it. Come on guys, I know that American Indians represent a very small minority of people, but they deserve the same respect that other minorities do.

Archived