Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo sports: Redskins nickname must go

DGREENHULK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArUuI6LbpZ7u50UrMobqMCU5nYcB?slug=ms-trippintuesday051909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Does this bother any of you guys on ES? The Team has been named the REDSKINS since 1937 for most if not all us that has been our entire lives. Michael Silver (who I don't care much for) thinks we should adopt a new franchise name. Just wanted to get your opinions on this.

I understand the issues and why it is offensive.

However, I would like to ask, does anyone use this term outside of the team name? I have never heard anyone use it to call Native Americans in a derogatory way. It seems, to me at least, that while it is offensive, we have some what turned it into a celebratory way.

Our song praises the name/team, our fans do, and the city does. While in the past, I can see it being a major issue, I am not sure if I feel as though today it is.

But then again, I don't know mnay Native Americans.

I understand the issues and why it is offensive.

However, I would like to ask, does anyone use this term outside of the team name? I have never heard anyone use it to call Native Americans in a derogatory way. It seems, to me at least, that while it is offensive, we have some what turned it into a celebratory way.

Our song praises the name/team, our fans do, and the city does. While in the past, I can see it being a major issue, I am not sure if I feel as though today it is.

But then again, I don't know mnay Native Americans.

For every Redskin fan that I have met the term is used as a respectful way. The way I see it the team is honoring the Native Americans by trying to win on Sundays and giving back to the community.

No living Indian has ever had this name used in description of them. It's a non-issue. Long has been. Guilty white liberals merely have a hard time getting over their own sensitivity.

Amen! Preach it brother. :applause:

everybody's got to have something to complain about I guess. There have been far bigger travesty's to the native American people than using a mascot as a symbol of courage, pride and integrity. Why can't we see this as a tribute to the original American's? Why can't we focus on educating people about what the term "Redskins" really means, what it stands for, etc?

The author of this article is no more entitled to having a mascot name changed, then we are to upholding the true meaning of the term ... that was inspired by and created by native American's.

My grandfather was a member of the Cherokee nation, he was 1/4 Cherokee. I am in no way am suggesting that this entitles me to speak on the matter, only that we should focus our efforts on education and collaboration between all Americans, native and non-native.

everybody's got to have something to complain about I guess. There have been far bigger travesty's to the native American people than using a mascot as a symbol of courage, pride and integrity. Why can't we see this as a tribute to the original American's? Why can't we focus on educating people about what the term "Redskins" really means, what it stands for, etc?

The author of this article is no more entitled to having a mascot name changed, then we are to upholding the true meaning of the term ... that was inspired by and created by native American's.

My grandfather was a member of the Cherokee nation, he was 1/4 Cherokee. I am in no way am suggesting that this entitles me to speak on the matter, only that we should focus our efforts on education and collaboration between all Americans, native and non-native.

Well said and I am also 1/4 Cherokee as well.

No living Indian has ever had this name used in description of them. It's a non-issue. Long has been. Guilty white liberals merely have a hard time getting over their own sensitivity.

Yep! Michael Silver has bought into the political correctness B.S. :doh:

does anyone take into account that Washington's use of the name for it's football team has pretty much eliminated the term Redskin as a racial slur? nobody calls someone else a Redskin in this day and age, and mean it as an insult (Cowboys, Eagles & Giants fans excepted).

Come to think of it, does anyone insult anyone else by calling them a brownskin, yellowskin or ******** as Mr. Silver protests? I don't think so, those terms would seem silly, in part to the NFL and Washington promoting the name as a team nickname. In fact cowboy could be considered more of a racist term since it was used to describe the black slaves that tended cattle.

Here's another article on it from the daily press:

You might have missed it, but our nation's capital continued its long and sympathetic relationship with Native Americans last week with a court ruling that permits the Washington Redskins to carry on business as usual.

The legal volleying will cause your eyeballs to glaze over, though the upshot was that the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington upheld a lower court ruling that the franchise could keep its trademark.

The case was extremely narrow and upheld on a technicality. No one came within a mile of the discussion of whether the nickname and the trademark are racially offensive.

Allow us to weigh in: Of course they're offensive.

the rest of the article can be found here: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_column0519may19,0,5991334.column?page=1

What Art said, and I'd add that innocent white liberals can also have a hard time getting over their own sensitivity. :D

Of all the "dead horse" issues, this must rank as one of the all-time lamest and most impotent. In this venue, that's really saying something.

Archived