Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo sports: Redskins nickname must go

DGREENHULK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I had a guy last weekend come up to me in a bar and told me he took offense to my Redskins hat. I think he said he was 80% Native American or something. I told him about the pride thing and even how many native american's I know that are die hard fans. He wasn't hearing it. He also was a giants fan so go figure.

No. When Native Americans start caring about it, then I'll care too. But there is no reason to get up in arms about changing a name that does not offend the vast majority of the people that name represents. But ya know, let the politically correct once again stand up & make their demands. :doh:

No. When Native Americans start caring about it, then I'll care too. But there is no reason to get up in arms about changing a name that does not offend the vast majority of the people that name represents. But ya know, let the politically correct once again stand up & make their demands. :doh:

To play devil's advocate, perhaps you don't hear any complaints because they are in fact such an underwhelming minority now. Less people equals less attention in the media.

If I'm around casual football fans, non-football fans, or fans of another team, I use to full name because otherwise they would have no idea who I was referring to.

You must think that everyone outside of Redskins Nation is a complete moron. :hysterical:

I think a lot of time, saying 'Skins rather then Redskins is a natural progression of our language. Everything gets abbreviated or shortened to sound "cooler". The Cowboys=the boys, the 49ers=9ers, the Buccaneers=the Bucs. I don't think there is anything subconscious about it other then a one syllable nickname.

I had a guy last weekend come up to me in a bar and told me he took offense to my Redskins hat. I think he said he was 80% Native American or something. I told him about the pride thing and even how many native american's I know that are die hard fans. He wasn't hearing it. He also was a giants fan so go figure.

What was his BAC?

To play devil's advocate, perhaps you don't hear any complaints because they are in fact such an underwhelming minority now. Less people equals less attention in the media.

No, what I mean is, that most Native Americans themselves don't take offense to our name or logo. Not that they are voting with the rest of the nation. In that case, they would never even show up on the map if every last one of them said yes. I haven't seen any recent polls, but the last time I saw a poll about it, something like 80+% were not offended by the name or the logo. In fact, many of them said that they appreciated it because teams like us & other teams that use NA symbols & nicknames are all that keeps their memory alive in this country.

You must think that everyone outside of Redskins Nation is a complete moron. :hysterical:

Well you know, if they choose to cheer for a team that's not the Redskins....:chair:

It also doesn't help that, being outside Pittsburgh, the team most people support is the "Pixburgh Stillers," to which I can only laugh smugly at getting 2 words wrong in a row.:hysterical:

If it were ever to change I'd keep calling them the Redskins like nothing happened.

I hope others would do the same.

I can understand that, kinda similar to the Wizards/Bullets.

I honestly think the most logical thing is to just change the name to Skins and possibly change the logo. Then people can continue calling us the Redskins, but it wouldn't be our official name any more. Kinda like the NY Knickerbockers, who are now known as the NY Knicks, but are sometimes referred to as the Knickerbockers by old time fans who remember those days.

Liberals full of white guilt walk the earth looking for the latest thing to be miserable out. Yeah, that's right....they are miserable from the moment their smelly feet hit the floor in the morning, and they think that they have every right to tell others how they are supposed to think and act.

PIGSKINS would be the best nickname IF Dan Snyder was ever forced to drop the name REDSKINS. WHY? You could still cheer "Go Skins!" during the games, etc. (I cannot take any credit for this great idea.....it was proposed by The Greaseman on DC 101 back in the 80's during some similar controversy over the name, etc)

Archived