Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Chili Poll: How do you like your chili?

HogNose

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This thread has made me request a new texas beanless chili recipe from the wife this week sometime. I was leaning towards this one. Any suggestions for modifications or different recipes?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/tylers-texas-chili-recipe2/index.html

(We usually go with a nice standard with beans recipe, but Im bored)

The only time I make chilli is when I put some ground beef in a can of Bush's Baked Beans and spice it up and throw in a little BBQ Sauce (I call it sweet chilli :D ) Or I make some chilli cornbread with a can of Hormel and some Jiffy Cornbread mix. :ols:

I usually just buy the packet and throw some beef, beans and tomatoes in there...usually tastes good to me. :)

purists can go suck a lemon

beans make it taste better. Therefore, "with beans."

and sour cream, some shredded cheese, a little white rice on the bottom to soak up some of the juices, jalapeno...

I'm not sure chili without beans is considered pure. I've always had beans in mine and quite frankly I find if very un-American not to have beans in it.

---------- Post added October-3rd-2012 at 12:01 PM ----------

Only in Texas would people name their food after the state they live in. That's like Mexicans in Mexico calling their food "Mexican food"...FYI it's just called food there. :D

Here is my Southwest deer meat chili, no soup here.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8458/8050241635_54ae424f97.jpg

I love when Chili is "thick." I can't stand it "soupy."

I'm a bean man myself, but if I could find a decent basic chili without beans, I would be all for it.

It's rather pointless and stupid to argue if bean "belong" in chili, I don't have strong feelings on the subject either way, but that being said Chili's withou beans seem like they are trying to hard. One of the best Chili's I have ever had contained beef, beans, tomatoes, chilli peppers and salt- that's it, but beanless chilis hardly ever are a bean chili recepie without beans. I have seen beanless chili's advertised with pulled pork, avacodos, and even boneless ribs, all in an attempted effort to make the chili sound more appealing, which to me aren't really chili's any more, but more like other food drenched in a spicy tomato sauce.

I'm not sure chili without beans is considered pure. I've always had beans in mine and quite frankly I find if very un-American not to have beans in it.

I was mostly referring to people from the southwest. They are adamant about chili not having beans. Also I believe chili contests are generally "no bean" affairs.

People have strong feelings about regional food, and what does and doesn't qualify. Like how I feel about what some restaurants here in the south like to claim are "crab cakes".

I like them both with and without. Anyone have a recipe they can share. The last batch I made, sucked.

I usually sub the italian sausage for another type of meat, but otherwise, folks in the SE seem to love it. Now, I am from Texas and thoroughly enjoy bean-less chili but this recipe has won me numerous chili cook-offs.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/

Texas red, no beans.

Beans are great, on the side. If you want to mix them in, have at it. But don't make it mandatory.

I've been doing the purist way for 25 years or so and based on feedback from consumers I'm confident my chili is better than 99% of the chilis people make. :)

There are a few key things:

• buy the cheapest beef available
  • trim it down as much as you can; keep the cubes small
  • no ground beef
  • cumin, lots and lots of cumin
  • also lots of powdered ancho
  • if you use oregano, use Mexican oregano
  • rehydrate guajillo chilis and scrape out the pulp to put into the pot
  • fry the dry spices before you add liquids
  • use beer in the chili and the cook

I made up a pot using ghost chils and serranos a few weeks ago and that was a great flavor and heat combo.

Beans or no beans, I think it's fun to alter the recipes a lot and tinker with chili.

IDK, chili with meat chunks is just red stew. I couldn't imagine eating chili without ground beef.

Meat chunks are meatier. Ground beef = dog food... /jk

To each their own. Chili is like curry. There are a zillion ways to make it and no one seems to be able to agree that any one way is the best.

That does change the flavor quite a bit

Not a bad recipe

Thx. The two best things my Dad left me were that and a passion for the Skins. :)

IDK, chili with meat chunks is just red stew. I couldn't imagine eating chili without ground beef.

It's called chile colorado and like I said it's made with pork shoulder-like someone said cheaper cuts are always better fact they're mandatory with most mexican food. I guarantee, having eaten countless bowls of chili beans, which are fine, that you would like it a lot. It's like comparing a cheap sirloin at the grocery store with a prime cut rib-eye. You know, the red ones. It's also served with beans, rice and tortilla (which you use pieces of like a spoon). Damn I'm hungry!

It's called chile colorado and like I said it's made with pork shoulder-like someone said cheaper cuts are always better fact they're mandatory with most mexican food. I guarantee, having eaten countless bowls of chili beans, which are fine, that you would like it a lot. It's like comparing a cheap sirloin at the grocery store with a prime cut rib-eye. You know, the red ones. It's also served with beans, rice and tortilla (which you use pieces of like a spoon). Damn I'm hungry!

Pork shoulder is an option as is any other meat. It's not the standard.

Also Chili is not Mexican food ;)

I just made chili the other day. I like it very traditional. My bf puts turkey or italian sausage or peppers in his chili, but I like regular ol' kidney beans, ground beef, chili powder, tomato sauce, and scallions. Nothing ruins chili more than chunks of tomato. BARF.

Pork shoulder is an option as is any other meat. It's not the standard.

Also Chili is not Mexican food ;)

Understood although chunks of beef or hamburger are the only meat I've ever eaten in chili. I've had colorado with venison, elk and antelope and they're all quite good too. Not as good as pork though, something about the pig fat. :drool: Seeing that we grow a huge amount of chile peppers here it's an issue of contention. Like crab cakes from Chili's would be for the folks around the Chesapeake. ;)

But think about this, chili started out as chile colorado, the spelling is simply Texas redneck phonetics for the same meat in a red sauce with chile peppers in it dish. Those same Texans ****ized it (by necessity I'm sure - they grew cattle not pigs) into a new food that is not Mexican anymore and while good, is not even close to being as good the original on which it was based, and it then spread to the rest of the country. I'm not sure how tomato's came to replace the chile for the red color, probably when it reached areas of the country where sissified mouths couldn't handle the heat of the real thing. :D

Meat chunks are meatier. Ground beef = dog food... /jk

To each their own. Chili is like curry. There are a zillion ways to make it and no one seems to be able to agree that any one way is the best.

Thx. The two best things my Dad left me were that and a passion for the Skins. :)

Yeah, it's interesting to see how each person likes their chili.

I probably would. I'm not very picky, but I'm used to the way I make it. But I have tasted some not so good chili in my day.

Any meat is acceptable in chili, as long as it's ground. I don't want to have to chew big chunks of it. That's not how chili operates.

I would always take sausage out of the casing for my chili. It usually had some deer in it too. Never anything more than 50%beef 50%other though and 30% beans max.

Chili should be spicey too, that's why you put sour cream and cheese on it.

I probably would. I'm not very picky, but I'm used to the way I make it. But I have tasted some not so good chili in my day.

I have too, nasty stuff if not done right. I'm thinking of the old tv show Alice and Mel's chili. ;)

I'm being a little over the top about it, as a matter of local pride and because it's one of those things that's fun to argue about.

Archived