Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Academy Awards 2009 thread (results inside)

SUSkinsFan

Wow, what a surpirse that Sean Penn won! And a speech about prop 8 to boot!!

I do recall making a prediction regarding something like this.

Just for the record, Who the hell is sean penn and who does he think he is lecturing me about how I voted!!!

IMO to stand before the public winning an award and than turning around and using that opportunity to chastise me and anyone else who voted the way I did, is deplorable and disgusting. F you Mr. Penn and the horse you road in on!!

I guess if your side wins, it's ok.

Just for the record, Who the hell is sean penn and who does he think he is lecturing me about how I voted!!!

IMO to stand before the public winning an award and than turning around and using that opportunity to chastise me and anyone else who voted the way I did, is deplorable and disgusting. F you Mr. Penn and the horse you road in on!!

Are you pissed that Wall-E won best animated picture, too?

WALLLLLLLLL-EEEEEE!!!!

where's 81artmonk???

Regardless of the storyline, the movie was aweful. There were far better animated movies than wall-E. Kung-fu panda being one of them.

But is it any surprise that hollywood picked and enviromentally themed movie to win?? Along with a gay movie to win best actor??

let's face it, that was a completely biased pick. I can name at least two actors who deserved it more than Penn. Rourke and Langela

LOL

Are you pissed that Wall-E won best animated picture, too?

LMAO

81, do you view all movies as liberal or conservative? Serious question

Somebody needs a hug and a nap.
I'd be willing to bet that Mr. Penn rode in a car. I think it's ludicrous to assume that in this day and age with automobiles that someone would ride a horse, especially in Los Angeles where I'm sure they have regulations against that sort of thing.

LOL

LMAO

81, do you view all movies as liberal or conservative? Serious question

No but I do the movie industry. One can argue as they have, that they are there to make money and aren't concerned about agendas.

If that were true, than why isn't there an equal balance between political views in hollywood? Why do almost every hollywood type feel the need to speak their mind(usually left leaning) when they win an award?

hollywood is dominated by left-wing Bush hating types. So to think that their views or agendas aren't going to seep into their work or product is little nieve.

No but I do the movie industry. One can argue as they have, that they are there to make money and aren't concerned about agendas.

If that were true, than why isn't there an equal balance between political views in hollywood? Why do almost every hollywood type feel the need to speak their mind(usually left leaning) when they win an award?

hollywood is dominated by left-wing Bush hating types. So to think that their views or agendas aren't going to seep into their work or product is little nieve.

You are the biggest baby I have ever come across in my life.

Quit whining.

You know... I also notice political leanings when I watch movies and TV. It doesn't bother me much but I do notice things that make me think that there is some sort of bias involved.

My two favorite shows on TV, Heroes and 24, lean to the left. It doesn't really seem to be an agenda of putting that type of stamp on the shows, but I see it in the overall product.

A lot of kids movies come off as left leaning to me. Again, it doesn't bother me, but I do see it.

Is it deplorable when athletes or other winners of awards take their podium time to preach the word of God?

You should be chastised.

But moreover, Mickey Rourke should have won.

81, just get over it.

Milk was not some polemic. It was an accurate, brilliant film about a brave man who was killed by a pitiful bigot. Penn's performance was unbelievable. There is a great documentary about Milk ("The Life and Times of Harvey Milk"), and Penn gets his mannerisms perfectly. Can't fault him for winning.

(that being said, I think I would have voted for Rourke...)

Does Benjamin Button even HAVE visual effects? Iron Man or Dark Knight should've won :mad:

And even tbough I didn't see either, I wanted Mickey Rourke to win :(

EDIT: At least Heath Ledger won :)

And 24 does NOT lean to the left. Its creator is a conservative.

^^^ Well it's a guy being born an old man so yeah. Pitt basically playing a 90-year-old toddler. They do a good job too.

(Still don't think it's that great of a movie though.)

And exactly 81; who the hell is Sean Penn? Don't listen to him and get over it. I mean geez. I don't understand how with life being so short you spend time looking for ways to get angry. Really ridiculous.

EDIT: Thank you to whatever mod gave me my name back.

81, just get over it.

Milk was not some polemic. It was an accurate, brilliant film about a brave man who was killed by a pitiful bigot. Penn's performance was unbelievable. There is a great documentary about Milk ("The Life and Times of Harvey Milk"), and Penn gets his mannerisms perfectly. Can't fault him for winning.

(that being said, I think I would have voted for Rourke...)

Well said. :applause: I personally would've voted for Rourke most likely, but I could see either winning easily. Keep this in mind though, Rourke is basically playing himself and his story in the Wrestler (he admits as much in the interview with Barbra Walters) while Penn is imitating a flamboyant gay leader; in terms of 'acting' I would say Penn was better but in terms of 'performance' it would go to Rourke, if you get my meaning.

The child actors in Slumdog were robbed for not even being nominated for Best Supporting Actors. Without them, the movie would not have soared or even really worked.

I agree with you here...those children were phenomenal. I actually read somewhere that they still live in the slums in India; I sure hope this isnt true.

Yeah, there's a pretty big controversy. They were paid slightly above school and apparently Boyd has set up a trust fund, but in the meantime the kids are living more or less in the condition they were before the film. It's one of those ironies. Had the film done what most art/independent films do than no one would have squawkd and in fact the producers would have treated the kids better than the film industry/law demands. Because it wound up being a big hit, the producer and director are being portrayed as villians taking advantae of the youths.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Well, I tell ya what....to me, it was a very timely and blunt speech. Something that is needed; I for one am growing tired of prejudice and discrimination being excused in this country because of some religious belief or 'tradition'. He called out people like you that can't look at the inner equality of all of us and instead choose to keep a minority from being accepted and equal.....I think its interesting that you get upset at a man that says 'we are all equal' in his speech...perhaps you should reflect on why it is you get upset about gay people having equal rights as heterosexuals.

Also the speech earlier in the evening by the Milk screenwriter was incredibly touching and moving. You could feel he was speaking directly from the heart.

Yeah, there's a pretty big controversy. They were paid slightly above school and apparently Boyd has set up a trust fund, but in the meantime the kids are living more or less in the condition they were before the film. It's one of those ironies. Had the film done what most art/independent films do than no one would have squawkd and in fact the producers would have treated the kids better than the film industry/law demands. Because it wound up being a big hit, the producer and director are being portrayed as villians taking advantae of the youths.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Hmm...something still sends amiss here though; it just doesn't make sense that they would have to live in those conditions after this film (law or no law).

On another note, anyone else find Hugh Jackman absolutely fantastic as the host? I really hope he gets to host again in years to come. Overall, I thought this was the freshest and most lively show in years...very original, imho. (I loved how they had 4-5 presenters for the actor/actress awards).

Archived