Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Academy Awards 2009 thread (results inside)

SUSkinsFan

I remember being a day player on an studio film (okay, an extra) and getting fifty bucks and a cheese sandwhich. I know that the fee for industrials and some independents are really pretty small.

Let's say that you get 10,000 for a month's work. That could actually be a high wage. I don't know what the going rates are. Chachie might. 10,000's pretty good. Hardly, life changing though.

On another note, anyone else find Hugh Jackman absolutely fantastic as the host? I really hope he gets to host again in years to come. Overall, I thought this was the freshest and most lively show in years...very original, imho. (I loved how they had 4-5 presenters for the actor/actress awards).

Hugh Jackman is the man!!

On another note, anyone else find Hugh Jackman absolutely fantastic as the host? I really hope he gets to host again in years to come. Overall, I thought this was the freshest and most lively show in years...very original, imho. (I loved how they had 4-5 presenters for the actor/actress awards).

Yeah the direction/production this year was very good and it moved along at a good pace. Jackman did a great job and his opening skit was awesome.

Is it deplorable when athletes or other winners of awards take their podium time to preach the word of God?

You should be chastised.

But moreover, Mickey Rourke should have won.

Thanking God is vastly different from using your status and celebrity to vocally slam a section of society for, in your opinion,being hateful and shameful!! That distinction needs to be made, since you seem to miss it

81, just get over it.

Milk was not some polemic. It was an accurate, brilliant film about a brave man who was killed by a pitiful bigot. Penn's performance was unbelievable. There is a great documentary about Milk ("The Life and Times of Harvey Milk"), and Penn gets his mannerisms perfectly. Can't fault him for winning.

(that being said, I think I would have voted for Rourke...)

I don't know why I try, becuase as much as you people constantly tell me that I am ignorant and stupid, I truely believe that alot of you are too.

I don't have an issue with him winning per say. It's more to the fact that he used his opportunity to vocally chatise a segment of society and their voting habits. Firstly, who the hell is he to judge my voting rights?? Second, who cares!!

You won and award, I don't care what you think about me and my opinions!! Shut up...... thank who you want....... and get off the stage!! IMO he's just a guilty as the people he is condemning in his dietribe.

Does Benjamin Button even HAVE visual effects? Iron Man or Dark Knight should've won :mad:

And even tbough I didn't see either, I wanted Mickey Rourke to win :(

EDIT: At least Heath Ledger won :)

And 24 does NOT lean to the left. Its creator is a conservative.

I'm glad you brought that up. IMO 24 is the rare show in which it presents both sides of an issue without being preachy for one side or the other. I think it brings up the issue and allows the viewers to think about it, without stating the opinion for the viewer.

Well, I tell ya what....to me, it was a very timely and blunt speech. Something that is needed; I for one am growing tired of prejudice and discrimination being excused in this country because of some religious belief or 'tradition'. He called out people like you that can't look at the inner equality of all of us and instead choose to keep a minority from being accepted and equal.....I think its interesting that you get upset at a man that says 'we are all equal' in his speech...perhaps you should reflect on why it is you get upset about gay people having equal rights as heterosexuals.

Also the speech earlier in the evening by the Milk screenwriter was incredibly touching and moving. You could feel he was speaking directly from the heart.

That's my point. Who is he and why does he get a stage when most of america doesn't?? What if someone got up to accept an award and said, " it's a shame that a ******(rascial slur used for black people) got elected into the office of president, and all of you who voted for him should be ashamed of yourselves"

would you be defend that persons right to say that as you are Penns? Or are you just agreeing with Penn becuase you agree with his opinion??

Cause whether you agree with it or not, alot of people share that opinion about obama. Not agreeing with it, or saying I believe it, just making a point.

That's my point. Who is he and why does he get a stage when most of america doesn't?? What if someone got up to accept an award and said, " it's a shame that a ******(rascial slur used for black people) got elected into the office of president, and all of you who voted for him should be ashamed of yourselves"

would you be defend that persons right to say that as you are Penns? Or are you just agreeing with Penn becuase you agree with his opinion??

Cause whether you agree with it or not, alot of people share that opinion about obama. Not agreeing with it, or saying I believe it, just making a point.

He gets a stage because he is a celebrity. That is what fame is. It turns your life into a stage where people watch you, listent to you, record you, and broadcast what you say. Celebrity is determined by the market. If people didn't watch the tabloid shows or buy the celeb magazines, he wouldn't be given the opportunity. It simply comes with the territory.

Your example of a racist speech is loony. Hate and intolerance should be called out and deplored. I hope that any actor that said such a thing would never work again. I applaud Penn for calling out the hatred and intolerance displayed by a thin majority of Californians on election day.

You have a right to vote however you want. He wasn't saying that the voters didn't have a right to vote the way they did, just that they made the wrong decision and that their decision will not be judged kindly by history.

He gets a stage because he is a celebrity. That is what fame is. It turns your life into a stage where people watch you, listent to you, record you, and broadcast what you say. Celebrity is determined by the market. If people didn't watch the tabloid shows or buy the celeb magazines, he wouldn't be given the opportunity. It simply comes with the territory.

Your example of a racist speech is loony. Hate and intolerance should be called out and deplored. I hope that any actor that said such a thing would never work again. I applaud Penn for calling out the hatred and intolerance displayed by a thin majority of Californians on election day.

You have a right to vote however you want. He wasn't saying that the voters didn't have a right to vote the way they did, just that they made the wrong decision and that their decision will not be judged kindly by history.

Exactly.

As you know from a week or so ago 81 - I am trying to argue my points without being condescending now. Penn saying what he said is really no different than you telling people like me how "wrong" we were for voting for Obama or how we're "wrong" on the issue of gay rights. The only difference is the fact that he gets a lot bigger audience due to his celebrity. He is voicing an opinion without being hateful or ignorant - which makes your "******" speech comparison a HUGE stretch.

I'll also say it was quite obvious that you were upset Penn might win a few weeks ago - so it's not like this is just about the speech.

However, you're entitled to your opinion - I just never understand how people that make their lives about a book that is supposed to teach tolerance can be so intolerant of another group of people. :2cents:

Hey, getting an award is when you have the time to get on a soapbox. In fact, they invite you onto one. That's your moment. Do with it what you will. If they annoy or bore me I get to change the channel, but I would never dispute someone's right to say what they will on the night they win their industry's biggest award.

More, it was appropriate because it fit with the topic of his movie.

I don't have an issue with him winning per say. It's more to the fact that he used his opportunity to vocally chatise a segment of society and their voting habits. Firstly, who the hell is he to judge my voting rights?? Second, who cares!!

You won and award, I don't care what you think about me and my opinions!! Shut up...... thank who you want....... and get off the stage!! IMO he's just a guilty as the people he is condemning in his dietribe.

He just won an award based on his portrayal of a slain gay rights leader. It's not like he's going out of his way to address an unrelated issue. When Tom Hanks won for Philadelphia, people expected him to talk about AIDS. Same applies here.

And why isn't he justified in chastising voters that essentially legislated discrimination based on sexual preference? Discrimination is wrong.

Penn deserved it because he did the best acting of all the nominees. He completely became someone totally different than himself, down to the very last mannerism.

Mickey Rourke, on the other hand, played himself, but as a washed up wrestler rather than an washed up actor. That is also mesmerizing, when the casting fits the role so well.

Either one deserved it.

As for 81ArtMonk, all I can say is that the truth hurts sometimes. Deal with it.

Here is the actual quote in question...

"For those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think its a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect on their great shame and their shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that support. We have to have equal rights for everyone."

Archived