Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OffSeason Moves Thread: POST YOUR THOUGHTS HERE- DO NOT CREATE NEW THREAD

SkinsNoles21

QB: Campbell - Last nights game proved this guy isn't the problem. What is the problem is that he has no time to throw the ball, and he's a 6'5 qb looking for 5'9 targets. He's not a superstar and he is still learning ... but that's to be expected. But he is the right guy and he needs help. Quit wasting your time complaining about the qb, its what everyone does. We have much bigger problems than our qb.

RB: Portis - No brainer, backbone of the team.

FB: Sellers - Beast. Stays.

WR: Moss - Great slot, or number two ... terrible number one. Stays.

WR: Randle El - Randle El would be a solid 4th option on the team ... and a guy we could bring in to run the occasional trick play. He's a God awful #2, especially when paired with Moss. Either he stays, we eat his salary and his role is diminished, or we give him the boot. Oh, and no more punt return duties after this season.

WR's: Thomas, Kelly - These guys have to become starters ... Rookie receivers take time (see Steve Smith, Giants.) And because we chose to build our receiving corp. through the draft, we have to wait on them and hope they pan out. They are a key to the offense's future success.

TE:Cooley, Davis, Yoder - Cooley Stays. Period. Get Fred Davis on the field. I don't care about anything else, he is another weapon that needs to be on the field regardless of the circumstances. Yoder can stay but I don't want to see him unless we are pounding it in from the one.

LT: Samuels - Yes he gets beat, but only by the games elite. Stays ... but we plan for his downfall/retirement now and find a young backup.

LG: Kendall - Goes. Time for a replacement. Rinehart?

C: Rabach - Goes ... we need a better replacement to help Campbell. Someone who can be a field general and not get knocked back as soon as the ball is hiked.

RG: Thomas - Stays ... Same as Samuels ... prepare for future when hes not here.

RT: Jansen - Goes. At least as a starter ... We love you Jansen ... but your finished. Give the job to Heyer, or if Heyer isn't the guy ... go find the guy.

On offense, only the offensive line needs to be revamped. Our future is already on the team we just have to get these guys to gel. Kelly, Davis and Thomas need to become factors ... and people need to get off Campbell's back and let him progress. Starting from scratch only puts us back at square one. Continuity above all else is what this team needs ... especially at qb.

DE: Taylor, Carter - What the hell Carter, you were a beast. I say Carter stays and we hope he picks it up. Taylor ... damn you ... he goes. Evans and Wilson stay as backups ... any other de's go and we find some youth. Wilson could go too and I wouldnt be hurt, but Evans should definitely stay.

DT: Peace out, every single one of you. Maybe you keep Golston and Montgomery as depth ... but this spot needs to be revamped BAD. Ravens brought in Neal last night to eliminate fletcher and that's when your DT's should man up. They didn't, we lose. We need a 330lb. monster.

LB: Fletcher, McIntosh, Blades, Washington - Fletcher stays as long as he wants ... McIntosh stays, Blades stays, Washington Goes. We find a replacement for Washington, Blades is the number four and waiting in the wings for Fletcher. This unit has masked some of the d-line problems.

SS, FS: Landry, Horton - Great young duo, doesn't make up for what we lost, but they are certaintly not the problem.

CB: Rogers, Hall, Smoot, Springs, Tryon - Rogers and Hall are your future starting tandem. Smoot ... Love the guy but can take him or leave him as the number three ... stays for now because we have bigger problems. Springs ... PEACE. Tryon ... Jury is still out.

K, P: They both go ... NOW. Nothing worse for a struggling offense than a terrible kicker and a terrible punter.

Coach Zorn: Stays. Gotta give him an offseason or two to find out what hes truly made of.

Order in which we pursue holes:

DT- Yes, our offense is far worse. But that's exactly why we need a star DT. The d-line is what creates turnovers, short fields ... HELPS the offense. We have a solid D, but one that doesn't make many plays. That's because when you give any NFL qb a pocket to throw in, he's going to do OK, even if hes not very good. We need a monster dt blowing up the middle, helping the rest of the d get out there and make plays.

Oline- Three holes to fill. Potentially two filled with Heyer and Rinehart. Need depth and need to draft over the next two seasons ... don't need to spend a first rounder yet.

DE- We need a DE, someone who can get consistent pressure. A lot of that will come with have a solid DT, but we need to find someone to fill Taylor's spot.

Offensive Playmaker - I don't care what or how we get one, but we need another playmaker. Maybe a Running back with speed who can also return punts ... someone to put pressure on the defense and can help out the rest of our team. Can never have too much youth and speed.

OLB - Marcus Washington's replacement. Not a top priority.

Bottom line - O-line and D-line are what's keeping this team from being a consistent playoff team. I won't discuss play-calling here, this is strictly a personnel thread. Bottom line is ... if you want to win in the NFL you dominate at the point of attack. Everyone knows it and we are very weak there. Time to get some humongous 330lb monsters of both sides of the ball to start ***** slapping people around so we can compete in the NFC East.

Agree 95%. What I would change:

First, put oline above DT as a priority. Our defense has played pretty well without a pass rush all things considered, including last night when we got two turnovers in scoring territory. Only one panned out because we have absolutely ZERO protection. The defense can be the best in the league but unless they're scoring 3-5 TDs a game, we have to ensure offensive production. The oline is our number one priority until its fixed.

I wouldn't let Springs go just yet but he should be moved down behind Hall and Smoot because he's not reliable to be healthy. When he is he's as good as anyone, but that's too rare. Still, dropping him altogether seems like a bad idea when we could use the depth.

I wouldn't remove Randle El from returns just yet; I'd like to see what he can do with something resembling a coverage unit as opposed to some slow guys admiring the names and numbers on the backs of the gunners. Mostly, I don't know who you put back there to magically create blocks that aren't there. Devin Hester would average 2 yards or less per return with our coverage.

Other than that, agree totally.

Reaches here.

1. Campbell, sure keep him. But sign him to a 1 year deal.

2. Blow up the O-line. Keep an eye on Samuels. He will have various surgeries in the off-season. Jansen will retire. Keep Rabach and Thomas for continuity.

3. Randel El should be kept. As a #4. No punt returns.

4. Trade Cooley. Very unpopular, but the right thing to do. Get cap space. Get a quality lineman. Get a starting job for Davis. All wins.

5. Keep the K and P. Forget this year. They are not that bad.

Daniels is still a good bookend across from Carter. I think that he's good enough to hang around for another year if healthy. Rotate him with Evans and you've got a decent side over there.

I think the DT position does need some improvement and bad. Besides Griffin (who plays on his past record now) our DT are all backups, IMO.

I agree with most of it....Kelly and Thomas gotta get the bulk of the playing time. Moss starts of course but these two gotta have a chance to be good. JC ain't gonna lead us to where we want to be. He'll have some winning seasons and maybe a playoff berth or two but that's about it. When a guy has "it" you see it right away...What Campbell has is flashes of good play that cause you to have a false sense of confidence that he's the guy.

QB: Campbell
Not the full problem, will get another year, needs a better supporting case. Colt and TC will return to their roles. Hopefully Colt can beat TC out for the backup job next training camp.
RB: Portis
Yes, but they have to get a complementary back in the off season. I like Betts, but he's basically the same type of back. I would like a change of pace back, somebody with true speed that they could put in there every now and then. My guess is both Betts and Portis are back.

Rock Cartright is an interesting question. Clearly they don't think he can play RB, because Sellers was taking snaps there last night instead of Rock. So he's only a ST guy. I think Rock might be gone, and that might be where they bring in a speedster back.

FB: Sellers
He's the only FB on the team, so he stays, and he's a beast, and is starting to be my favorite player on the team. For his blocking. Not for running or catching.
WR: Moss
He is the ideal #2, they don't have a #1 currently on the roster.
WR: Randle El
If he could be the slot/gadget guy, he would be terrific. They're asking him to play out of position, he knows it, they know it, and he's giving it his best, but he just doesn't have the skills to be a starting WR in the NFL.
WR's: Thomas, Kelly
These guys have to be #2 and #3 on the depth chart next year. HAVE TO BE. If they are not, it's going to be a catastrophe.

WR who's out is Thrash. Love him, and he might make the team on ST again, but I think it's time to cut ties with James. Sadly.

TE:Cooley, Davis, Yoder
All three will come to Training Camp, and everybody will hope that Davis beats out Yoder for the #2 job. Then they'll probaby only keep 2 TEs on the roster next year, leaving Yoder out.
LT: Samuels
- Samuels is back
LG: Kendall
Interesting here, he's actually the oldest of the linemen, but the one playing the most consistently. So it's tough to get rid of the most consistant guy. The problem on the line is Tackle and Center. Not Gaurd. He might compete with Rinehart in camp for the job.
C: Rabach -
Done. He's gone.
RG: Thomas -
Stays.
RT: Jansen -
I see him going with a pat on the back and a thank you very much for all of your service. He's given his body to this team, but I don't think he's got it any more. Heyer will be given an opportunity to win that job, but they'll probably bring in competition as well.

Summary: Needs are Center and RT, maybe RG if Rinehart beats Kendall out for the job. They need to find backups for Samuels and Thomas. The skill positions will not get addressed in this off season, Kelly and Thomas have to step up. So does Davis.

DE: Taylor, Carter -
Daniels is also coming back, I think. They aren't great. But I don't see adding another DE this off season.
DT: Peace out, every single one of you. Maybe you keep Golston and Montgomery as depth ... but this spot needs to be revamped BAD. Ravens brought in Neal last night to eliminate fletcher and that's when your DT's should man up. They didn't, we lose. We need a 330lb. monster.
I coldn't agree more with this entire statement.
LB: Fletcher, McIntosh, Blades, Washington -
Fletch stays, McIntosh stays, Blades is a backup, Washington is gone. This is a need area, but not a big one.
SS, FS: Landry, Horton -
They both stay.
CB: Rogers, Hall, Smoot, Springs, Tryon -
Springs is out. Hall will get re-signed. Everybody else stays. this is not a need area, t's a strength.
K, P:
They are both gone. Bye Bye.
Coach Zorn:
He gets at least one more year. Should get 2 in my opinion, because the roster is just not as good as people think it is, and it's going to take 2 off seasons to revamp all the pieces that need revamping.

Upgrade O-Line, D-Line, starting with DT, and RT, and I think that's where you'll see the biggest improvement.

Noteable players who will probably no longer be on the team:

Rock Cartright

James Thrash

C. Griffin

S. Springs

S. Suisham

T. Yoder (I'm calling that Davis beats him out in TC.)

J. Jansen

Either D. Evans or Wilson, one of the two if not both won't be back.

Either Golton or Montgomery will not be back.

Danny Smith should also be fired.

Reaches here.

2. Blow up the O-line. Keep an eye on Samuels. He will have various surgeries in the off-season. Jansen will retire. Keep Rabach and Thomas for continuity.

4. Trade Cooley. Very unpopular, but the right thing to do. Get cap space. Get a quality lineman. Get a starting job for Davis. All wins.

No way are we trading Cooley.

And yes, the P and K are pretty terrible.

I don't know what the average percentage is for an NFL team in terms of year to year turnover, but I think you're asking for a lot in just one year. For instance, you want to replace 3/5 of the O-line, both DT's, and a DE. I assume like many, you also want the K/P combination gone. And you have questions at LB and WR. Unless you're planning on filling those holes by trades (less draft picks) or free agency (less cap space) I don't think you're going to be able to do all that in one offseason. Replacing 10+ starters is asking an awful lot.

My suggestions. For one, keep Pete Kendall, he's been fine. He and Samuels were creating great running lanes on the left side earlier in the year. May as well keep Jason Taylor, we owe him money and we can rotate him with Demetric Evans. Stick HB Blades in at Marcus Washington's spot and let him earn it or lose it. Giving cheap players an opportunity isn't a bad thing. That saves us a draft pick for now.

I think you have it right as far as getting a D-Tackle first. I really think that's our major weakness on defense, not running the QB's into our defensive ends. One thing to consider...at some point, we need to find out if Erasmus James is going to fulfill his potential, because I seem to remember he was pretty highly rated. He'd be a cheap fill in if we can get him on the field.

At this point, I'm tempted to say we go DT with the 1st rounder, OT with the 3rd rounder, another O-lineman of some sort with the 5th, and then BPA with the 6th. Although our perfect scenario will of course be to trade back and pick up extra picks again, just like last year...and hopefully stop trading them away.

May as well keep Jason Taylor, we owe him money and we can rotate him with Demetric Evans. Stick HB Blades in at Marcus Washington's spot and let him earn it or lose it. Giving cheap players an opportunity isn't a bad thing. That saves us a draft pick for now.

One thing to note on Taylor. There is no consequence of cutting him from a salary cap perspective. None. The Dolphins paid his signing bonus and had to eat whatever hit there was there when they traded him. He did not sign a new contract in DC.

The only thing you lose by cutting him is that you're 2009 2nd round pick is really a bust. But if it's a bust with him here or a bust with him not here, it really doesn't make any difference.

I'm just gunna add in a small thank you for this thread so far. With all the whining and complaining about the problems with this team it was so nice to finally read a well thought out thread where the ideas are supported or have reasonable back up (whether or not I completely agree) as opposed to just screaming he sucks or blaming one or two people in a heat of passion angry rant.

Thank you for the refreshing breath of common sense, it's much appreciated. This is more along the lines of what this board should be.

Hail.

I'm just gunna add in a small thank you for this thread so far. With all the whining and complaining about the problems with this team it was so nice to finally read a well thought out thread where the ideas are supported or have reasonable back up (whether or not I completely agree) as opposed to just screaming he sucks or blaming one or two people in a heat of passion angry rant.

Thank you for the refreshing breath of common sense, it's much appreciated. This is more along the lines of what this board should be.

Hail.

Happy to oblige, and thanks to the thread creator as well. This was a good thread to start. :)

What's the over under before somebody hijacks it with a JC sucks/Fire Zorn/I Hate Vinny comment?

Ummmm... Last I checked, Cooley's contract isn't counting against the cap very much. Not to mention he is has been willing to renegotiate his contract whenever we have asked him.

WR's: Thomas, Kelly - These guys have to become starters ... Rookie receivers take time (see Steve Smith, Giants.) And because we chose to build our receiving corp. through the draft, we have to wait on them and hope they pan out. They are a key to the offense's future success.

good writeup. though im not entirely sold on your example. smith missed most of the season due to injury his rookie year. but as soon as he stepped on the field, he was running crisp routes and was a 3rd down conversion machine in the last few games and all through the playoffs. so im not exactly sure that smith was a good name to use when referring to rookies needing time to develop.

QB: Campbell - Last nights game proved this guy isn't the problem. What is the problem is that he has no time to throw the ball, and he's a 6'5 qb looking for 5'9 targets. He's not a superstar and he is still learning ... but that's to be expected. But he is the right guy and he needs help. Quit wasting your time complaining about the qb, its what everyone does. We have much bigger problems than our qb.

Actually, I created a post breaking down protection. On 27 pass attempts, Campbell had over 3 seconds to throw. The majority of the time, the offensive line is okay. The issue is, when they have breakdowns in their protection schemes, they have MAJOR breakdowns. When the Ravens got through, they got through almost flawlessly. That's the problem. As a whole, the OL is fine. They need to get better at those other plays.

But Campbell is to blame partly. I like the guy, I think he's our QB of the future (though, the future is next season for now) but he also needs to get better, read the field more and release the football.

RB: Portis -

Where's Betts? I've never been a Ladell Betts fan, and probably never will be. I like what he gives us in the passing game. He's really good at getting YAC and making plays there. I hate what he gives us in the running game. That said, I doubt we get rid of him. Our RBs will stand pat next season (including Rock).

Absolutely he stays.

WR: Randle El -

I think El is one of those guys that catches flack for the sake of catching flack. I think he's solid. But like you mentioned, paired with Moss, it's not a good thing. I think Randle El is gone, unfortunately. I like him. Just not as a punt returner.

LT: Samuels - Yes he gets beat, but only by the games elite. Stays ... but we plan for his downfall/retirement now and find a young backup.

According to my analysis, he got beat 4 times last night. The team high. Of course, it's an inexact science when you don't know the protection schemes, but four plays seemed to fall directly on to Samuels. That said, we need to keep him around.

Not sure why everyone is so high on a guy that hasn't even been activated. Kendall goes, though, only because he's an FA and up there in age.

C: Rabach - Goes ... we need a better replacement to help Campbell. Someone who can be a field general and not get knocked back as soon as the ball is hiked.

Got beat 3 times last night. And they were either all complete inability to pick up a blitz or getting blown up at the snap. Must be replaced.

DE: Taylor, Carter - What the hell Carter, you were a beast. I say Carter stays and we hope he picks it up. Taylor ... damn you ... he goes. Evans and Wilson stay as backups ... any other de's go and we find some youth. Wilson could go too and I wouldnt be hurt, but Evans should definitely stay.

Carter was a beast because he had an end opposite of him that wouldn't loop around the outside and in turn wouldn't give the QB anywhere to go. Daniels pushed linemen into the pocket, forcing the QB to roll out of it and directly in to Carter. With two of the same type of player on the outside rushing, you get a huge gaping hole on both sides because they both do the same thing.

Golston, Montgomery and Alexander need to be here as a part of a rotation. But we need someone else here.

LB: Fletcher, McIntosh, Blades, Washington - Fletcher stays as long as he wants ... McIntosh stays, Blades stays, Washington Goes. We find a replacement for Washington, Blades is the number four and waiting in the wings for Fletcher. This unit has masked some of the d-line problems.

Yup.

Priority 1: Danny Smith fired. Every one of our special teams unit sucks. Our coverage teams have allowed a few TDs, field goals keep being missed, punt return is horrible, and we all know the punting is atrocious.

Priority 2: New Right tackle.

Priority 3: Big time playmaker at Defensive Tackle.

Priority 4: If we want to make our big splash free agent then get Anquan Boldin. He and Moss would be a nice tandem.

Reaches here.

No one give this guy the reigns ... trade cooley but keep suisham and plackemeir ... ahhhh.

Priority 1: Danny Smith fired. Every one of our special teams unit sucks. Our coverage teams have allowed a few TDs, field goals keep being missed, punt return is horrible, and we all know the punting is atrocious.

Priority 2: New Right tackle.

Priority 3: Big time playmaker at Defensive Tackle.

Priority 4: If we want to make our big splash free agent then get Anquan Boldin. He and Moss would be a nice tandem.

Yea give Danny Smith the boot. Is Boldin a FA? I mean if he is and we get him im stoked ... then you give thrash and randle el the boot ... and make your four receivers Boldin, Moss, Thomas, Kelly ... beautiful ... but its not gonna happen.

In what universe will trading Cooley result in more cap space?????? he just signed a 6 year contract extension. Other points are valid. Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs and to a lesser extent C. Griff and ARE need to be gone.

Good post. I agree with almost all of it.

I'd add this:

Danny Smith and Joe Bugel need to go. I don't know what to make of Sherman Smith. Zorn is calling the plays so it is hard to tell what Smith is bringing or not bringing to the table.

I used to love both Smith and Bugel, but it is time for a change their. The O-line has underperformed for a while know if you ask me. I'd bring in a zone blocking type of coach. If I were Snyder I'd ttry to make Alex Gibbs the highest paid o-line coach ever. Go get that guy.

And I'd give up almost anything to add Boldin.

RB: Portis - No brainer, backbone of the team.

WR: Randle El - Randle El would be a solid 4th option on the team ... and a guy we could bring in to run the occasional trick play. He's a God awful #2, especially when paired with Moss. Either he stays, we eat his salary and his role is diminished, or we give him the boot. Oh, and no more punt return duties after this season.

TE:Cooley, Davis, Yoder - Cooley Stays. Period. Get Fred Davis on the field. I don't care about anything else, he is another weapon that needs to be on the field regardless of the circumstances. Yoder can stay but I don't want to see him unless we are pounding it in from the one.

RG: Thomas - Stays ... Same as Samuels ... prepare for future when hes not here.

RT: Jansen - Goes. At least as a starter ... We love you Jansen ... but your finished. Give the job to Heyer, or if Heyer isn't the guy ... go find the guy.

On offense, only the offensive line needs to be revamped. Our future is already on the team we just have to get these guys to gel. Kelly, Davis and Thomas need to become factors ... and people need to get off Campbell's back and let him progress. Starting from scratch only puts us back at square one. Continuity above all else is what this team needs ... especially at qb.

SS, FS: Landry, Horton - Great young duo, doesn't make up for what we lost, but they are certaintly not the problem.

CB: Rogers, Hall, Smoot, Springs, Tryon - Rogers and Hall are your future starting tandem. Smoot ... Love the guy but can take him or leave him as the number three ... stays for now because we have bigger problems. Springs ... PEACE. Tryon ... Jury is still out.

K, P: They both go ... NOW. Nothing worse for a struggling offense than a terrible kicker and a terrible punter.

Coach Zorn: Stays. Gotta give him an offseason or two to find out what hes truly made of.

Order in which we pursue holes:

DT- Yes, our offense is far worse. But that's exactly why we need a star DT. The d-line is what creates turnovers, short fields ... HELPS the offense. We have a solid D, but one that doesn't make many plays. That's because when you give any NFL qb a pocket to throw in, he's going to do OK, even if hes not very good. We need a monster dt blowing up the middle, helping the rest of the d get out there and make plays.

Oline- Three holes to fill. Potentially two filled with Heyer and Rinehart. Need depth and need to draft over the next two seasons ... don't need to spend a first rounder yet.

DE- We need a DE, someone who can get consistent pressure. A lot of that will come with have a solid DT, but we need to find someone to fill Taylor's spot.

Offensive Playmaker - I don't care what or how we get one, but we need another playmaker. Maybe a Running back with speed who can also return punts ... someone to put pressure on the defense and can help out the rest of our team. Can never have too much youth and speed.

OLB - Marcus Washington's replacement. Not a top priority.

Bottom line - O-line and D-line are what's keeping this team from being a consistent playoff team. I won't discuss play-calling here, this is strictly a personnel thread. Bottom line is ... if you want to win in the NFL you dominate at the point of attack. Everyone knows it and we are very weak there. Time to get some humongous 330lb monsters of both sides of the ball to start ***** slapping people around so we can compete in the NFC East.

I completely agree with EVERYTHING. Great post:applause::applause::applause:

Agree 95%. What I would change:

First, put oline above DT as a priority. Our defense has played pretty well without a pass rush all things considered, including last night when we got two turnovers in scoring territory. Only one panned out because we have absolutely ZERO protection. The defense can be the best in the league but unless they're scoring 3-5 TDs a game, we have to ensure offensive production. The oline is our number one priority until its fixed.

Excellent point, I agree, the O-Line has to be our top priority this offseason.

Archived