Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OffSeason Moves Thread: POST YOUR THOUGHTS HERE- DO NOT CREATE NEW THREAD

SkinsNoles21

Just curious what people think.

What picks would teams be willing to give us for Campbell? I'm not thrilled about the idea, but I think he holds a significant amount of value in the league and trading him would be VERY cap friendly.

I think we all agree that building through the draft is the way to go and regrettably we only have 4 picks this year!

What we have going for us heavily in our favor is that this year's QB class sucks so that market is dry. On the other hand, the FA market is kinda deep, but Cassell, Orton, and others probably wouldn't want to go to Detroit. I think because Campbell had such a great first half and because we can blame his crappiness on the OL, we can swindle the Lions out of the Dallas pick they got in the Roy Williams trade or their 2nd rd pick (#33) and a Day 2 pick.

When team wants to get rid of their "QB of future," it's not a good sign unless the team thinks there's a better option already on roster. No way other teams will offer 1st or 2nd. Why. They could use the 1st or 2nd to draft a young QB instead. 3rd pick if we are lucky. More likely, 4th or 5th.

I've always liked Portis and his contributions to this team. Not too pleased with how things with him and Zorn went down. I think he's a hell of a running back but may be on the downside of his career. He has played hard, but has had so many nagging injuries throughout his time here. The Skins are and always will be a team built around run. We win and lose based on it. And he reminds me of Terry Allen during the norv years. Great back could break big runs but once those injuries set in he lost that breakaway ability. Could still break good runs but not the 40-60 yard kind of an elite back. When Allen would get hurt, though we had a capable Stephen Davis the coaches tend to steer away from the run or when it struggles early. And just by default if you were gonna make a trade he is no doubt the guy we would get the most trade value for. Id hate to lose CP. But i really want to see a bright future. This team needs some youth, motivation, leadership, and emotion.

We're in a situation where our biggest need aligns with the strength of the draft. I wouldn't be against us trading a 2010 pick to get another first or second rounder this year. If that happened and our draft netted us Jason Smith and Alex Mack or Max Unger plus whatever DL help we could get in the later rounds I'd be quite happy.

At the very least we'd then be in a position to better evaluate JC and Zorn's abilities as an OC. If we then had to get rid of either or both we'd at least leave the new QB/coach with a good OL to work with.

When team wants to get rid of their "QB of future," it's not a good sign unless the team thinks there's a better option already on roster. No way other teams will offer 1st or 2nd. Why. They could use the 1st or 2nd to draft a young QB instead. 3rd pick if we are lucky. More likely, 4th or 5th.

not when those 1st or 2nd rd possibilities are guys who would be late day 2 picks in most drafts. furthermore, we could blame trading campbell on regime change (give some bulll**** excuse like "he doesn't fit the scheme")

Portis is a great player and while we may be able to get picks for him I don't think it's a wise idea to trade him. Not only that, but Dan loves him so he's not going anywhere.

Jansen could get us a late round pick

Griffin maybe

Springs, I'm CERTAIN will get some attention but maybe not at his contract...

Lets face it we don't have much that another team would give up draft picks to acquire.

Biggest needs in the draft IMO are ORT and DT. I would be thrilled if every single pick we have (which is 4 IIRC) was used for lineman. That is where we need to get younger.

QB needs to be addressed as well and I think there are some trade options out there.

Yupp, we should use all those picks next year for the lines. Thats where building a team starts, and it seems we have to start from the beginning with our line's ages

In theory I wouldn't be averse to trading JC. However the problem is that it would leave us without a QB. Collins, Colt? :no: Neither one of these guys is the long-term answer. We simply have to stick with JC who has only started the equivalent of about two seasons and hope the light switch goes on for him this offseason.

Not now. Colt is still very much an unknown entity. If JC doesn't pan out over the next season or two and Colt proves that he can be consistently successful, then maybe we start talking trade. But even that scenario doesn't take into account the duration of Campbell's contract.

At the very least we'd then be in a position to better evaluate JC and Zorn's abilities as an OC. If we then had to get rid of either or both we'd at least leave the new QB/coach with a good OL to work with.

I like this idea the best so far. Zorn and JC each need another year with an upgraded O line. JC I'm not entirely sold on, but lets at least see what he can do. The first half of the season the O line was relatively healthy and the entire team functioned well. Portis put up huge numbers and JC actually had some time to throw the football.

not when those 1st or 2nd rd possibilities are guys who would be late day 2 picks in most drafts. furthermore, we could blame trading campbell on regime change (give some bulll**** excuse like "he doesn't fit the scheme")

That's your opinion. Think QB draft position is fine this year. Bradford & Stafford could both go in top 10. And, there could be to be a few no names breaking into late 1st or 2nd round after draft workouts.

As for JC, nobody is going to give 1st or 2nd to guy projected as late 2nd 4 years ago. Especially, when he's done **** since then. For his to value increase, you need reasons. Not excuses. Like, Colt obviously performing better in games. He's stuck behind all-pro. And, so on. Teams that want to trade for JC will probably be **** teams. Ones with new coaches = schemes, bad OL, bad WRs and so on. Excuses won't fly there. They will take a risk on him for low picks, but nothing more.

Seeing how the Dolphins got Parcells to be with the organization and seeing what he is doing with them, how about someone like Marty Schottenheimer or Jimmy Johnson? Now to go and bash me to much, but I think these guys are pretty smart football wise and could probably change the direction of this franchise. I really liked Marty when he was coach here, didn't like to see him go. jmo

Schott would be a good one. You won't get bashed mentioning Schott. Many of us here the last few days have mentioned how we wish he had stayed.

Portis is a great player and while we may be able to get picks for him I don't think it's a wise idea to trade him. Not only that, but Dan loves him so he's not going anywhere.

Jansen could get us a late round pick

Griffin maybe

Springs, I'm CERTAIN will get some attention but maybe not at his contract...

Lets face it we don't have much that another team would give up draft picks to acquire.

Jansen will get us nothing. No one wants him. He barely cuts it on our ****** line-- What makes you think another team wants an injury-prone guy who was BENCHED by his own coach?

Griffin. Again- no way. Injuries, age, too much $$$. Teams generally like to have younger D-lineman on their depth charts, and although I love Cornbread-- I don't see him stealing too many starting spots around the league.

Springs- Maybe... but like you said, no one wants to pick up his crazy contract. With his age though, Springs would be likely to take a smaller salary next year if he was signed to a shiny new 3 year deal somewhere. It won't happen in DC- so we might as well give it a shot with another team.

I personally believe that Dan Snyder should go after Josh McDaniel the Offensive Coordinator from the New England Patriots and bring Matt Cassel along with him. Josh McDaniel comes from a winning franchise that has had their share of injuries to the offensive line and team but they have managed to win games and score a lot of points. I believe that Matt Cassel understanding the system that Josh McDaniel puts into place will make for a quicker transition rather than having lets say Jason Campbell learn an entirely new system.

Josh McDaniel joined the Patriots on March 1, 2001 as a personnel assistant in the scouting department and assisted the defensive coaching staff for three seasons. He began serving as the Patriots' quarterbacks coach in 2004 and was named offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach on January 20, 2006.

In his role as quarterbacks coach, McDaniels has worked closely with Brady. In four seasons working with McDaniels, Brady has compiled the top four passer ratings of his eightyear career – 92.6 (2004), 92.3 (2005), 87.9 (2006) and 117.2 (2008).

Archived