Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OffSeason Moves Thread: POST YOUR THOUGHTS HERE- DO NOT CREATE NEW THREAD

SkinsNoles21

Reaches here.

1. Campbell, sure keep him. But sign him to a 1 year deal.

2. Blow up the O-line. Keep an eye on Samuels. He will have various surgeries in the off-season. Jansen will retire. Keep Rabach and Thomas for continuity.

3. Randel El should be kept. As a #4. No punt returns.

4. Trade Cooley. Very unpopular, but the right thing to do. Get cap space. Get a quality lineman. Get a starting job for Davis. All wins.

5. Keep the K and P. Forget this year. They are not that bad.

I'm not even going to touch the Cooley point you made because I think it's that outrageous.

We have the worst punting in the league. Kicking has been sub-par to say the least.

You do understand that the first point you made about JC isn't possible right? You can't just sign someone to a 1 year deal because you don't feel like giving him more. Agents don't allow that. This league's contracts are all based on precedents, i.e. all those guards getting $40 million contracts last offseason. JC gets a 5 year deal or more, otherwise his agent isn't sitting down to talk.

Reason, those last two posts were dead on. You are correct; you cannot gut the team and at the same time not get mauled by the salary cap. I do not know the exact numbers but I know management has painted ourselves into the ever-popular corner.

And I have (and will) always believe that the foundation to a Super Bowl caliber team starts on the offensive and defensive line. It just kills me that these guys seem to get beaten/submit half way through the second quarter. It's just my opinion but (a majority but not all) the team just doesn't project itself like they care. You see it at the end of average or busted plays on offense and not much display of emotion on the bench. At the end of plays where our guys screw up the other team mocks us. Our guys just shrug their shoulders and turn away. There just doesn't seem to be any passion. Sorry for my rant just really frustrated.

My question is HOW?!?!?! What do .....I'm not disagreeing that it needs to be done. I just don't think you can trade Portis for anything higher than a 4th, and you'd be lucky to get that. I don't think that we have anything to trade, because if we can see these guys are washed up, other GMs see it as well.

So how the hell do you rebuild all in one year? It's going to take time, just because of the lack of draft picks and lack of salary cap space.

And I don't really trust Vinny to do it right the first time.

Agreed on the Portis trade. Too many carries to garner a favorable offer. Now had he continued at his MVP pace, perhaps a different story. I think the more interesting scenario has passed but should have been explored. After Betts filled in for Portis during the playoff run in 06', his value was at a peak. Probably could have gotten more for him then than Portis now.

With such an emphasis on the lines in this thread and rightfully so, I think Vinny and Co. won't be as aggressive in the draft as many would like. They obviously don't think it's a glaring weakness based on the 08' picks and their preference for BPA picks. Staying with the line theme though, DT would be my highest priority. Getting an impact end would be great but unlikely given the teams likely draft position and the problem of what to do with Taylor and Carter.

With the OLine, I'd be concerned with a draft pick helping right away based on the teams use of Rhinehart. Why isn't he playing? How bad can he be if he can't work his way into a line that has played average at best and poorly when it counts. Heyer was supposedly a diamond in the rough, yet can't get past Jansen who looks lost in pass protection at times. I'm all for drafting along the lines but if they don't get on the field, what's the point other than depth which only is of significance after injury and if your starters are good enough to compete against good teams and win when it counts.

I cannot argue with any of the OP's statements. We need a center and have for several years. Rabach gets out of position and holds at the worse possible times. I think we need a replacement. Kendal while he hasn't been bad, he's just old. We need a replacement.

The D-line is awful. Evans and Carter are the ONLY ones I would keep. Sorry Corn, but you are injured and probably past your prime. You played excellent while you were here but the Skins need to get younger. Montgomery and Gholston... Take your pick. No idea but the coaching staff will evaluate. Everyone else, Gone. Need to find some monsters in the draft or possibly go after Haynesworth?

I have a strong feeling you are right about JC.......

I echo your sentiments. The great investment made in JC is returning nothing!

Would add Carlos Rogers to the get rid off or trade list.

Cooley stays! Redskins for life...

im not at all in favor of "blowing up" the team we have

have we really forgotten that this same team was 6-2 just a few weeks ago?

i would like to keep anyone who has performed for us in the past...but let them know we will draft young talent and let them battle it out...

we saw a lot of turnover in 06 and it did not turn out good, we ended up losing Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, Walt Harris (lol pro bowl), Lavar Arrington....take a second and think about our D with these guys still in it...(not walt harris)

Alot of the guys you all are calling for are core redskins who ARE good enough.

Just replacing people is NOT the way to go (frost) (Trent Green)

with that said, there are some guys who need to go

Shawn Springs....hurt WAY too much, huge cap hit, and we have Hall now...

The rest should stay...they have all done their jobs in the past, there is no reason to have a knee jerk reaction and rebuild

We have a team who can win be 8-8 possibly 9-7, that is not 0-13 or even 4-12....

we have a good team that with a little line help can be great! not some piece of crap team who needs to be torn down!

I agree with virtually everything that the OP said. I do feel the need to defend Smoot though, as always. The man is a solid #2 CB, and one of the better Nickelbacks in the league. To say you could take him or leave him is a bit insulting. I think it is pretty obvious that our secondary is set as of now because we sure as hell know that the D-line aren't the ones getting it done. Carlos, D.Hall, Smoot, Landry, and Horton is a pretty impressive secondary, IMO.

im not at all in favor of "blowing up" the team we have

have we really forgotten that this same team was 6-2 just a few weeks ago?

i would like to keep anyone who has performed for us in the past...but let them know we will draft young talent and let them battle it out...

we saw a lot of turnover in 06 and it did not turn out good, we ended up losing Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, Walt Harris (lol pro bowl), Lavar Arrington....take a second and think about our D with these guys still in it...(not walt harris)

Alot of the guys you all are calling for are core redskins who ARE good enough.

Just replacing people is NOT the way to go (frost) (Trent Green)

with that said, there are some guys who need to go

Shawn Springs....hurt WAY too much, huge cap hit, and we have Hall now...

The rest should stay...they have all done their jobs in the past, there is no reason to have a knee jerk reaction and rebuild

We have a team who can win be 8-8 possibly 9-7, that is not 0-13 or even 4-12....

we have a good team that with a little line help can be great! not some piece of crap team who needs to be torn down!

I think the Clark and Pierce situations were a bit different, involving contracts and neither side wanting to budge on what they wanted (which is also why Smoot left here for the Vikings). Plus, Williams convinced that his system was more important then skill players, which isn't always the case. It really helps to have blue chippers in certain key roles, such as your LT and DTs.

In this case, I believe there is a clear argument that we severely need to upgrade key positions in the off season.

Sometimes good enough will not suffice to make it to the top, especially if they cannot stay healthy. Some of these "good enough" guys will probably face the role of being solid backups.

We don't have to get rid of everyone, but we need to place heavy emphasis on rebuilding the lines. That, and shoring up one or two other spots where we could have some improvement or healthy youth.

I don't think it is fair to blame Sameuls' play as of late as a sign of his demise. He has been battling tough injuries for a while now, and is gone for the season. I fully expect him to be back next year as one of the elite LTs he usually is (and was for the first half of this year).

As for the rest of the O...

OL:

LT:Samuels. The most underrated Redskin of his time. Not even close. People will realize this once he is gone for good.

LG:Kendall. He is still playing solid ball and him and Sameuls work well together.

C:....Jansen. Yea, Jon Jansen. I think there was more to Jansen taking snaps at C in training camp than they let on. Jansen's problem is in open space. Whenever he gets isolated in pass pro. with no help, he looks horrible and gets abused. But when it comes to run blocking, he still is a solid run blocker and I think he can be a very good center for us for the next couple of years. I think he also would be able to do a pretty good job pass blocking on the inside of the line.

RG: Thomas/Rhinehart.

RT: Heyer. Most people hate on the guy because his physique looks no where close to that of a NFL lineman. But the guy did a great job in pass pro his rookie year (Seattle playoff game not withstanding) and is improving both his physique, and in the run game. I think with another offseason under his belt, he will be an adequate RT for us (although I was hoping we'd sign Willie Anderson but too late anyways).

I think shuffling our OL up, especially with Rabach GONE COMPLETELY and Jansen moved to the inside (where he won't have to be exposed in space too often) can potentially make our OL A LOT better in pass pro and even a bit better at run blocking (Jansen is a much better run blocker than Rabach....I hate Rabach lol).

QB:Campbell with Colt as the #2.

RB: CP, Betts (I really dont like him but he is signed on the cheap) and I pray to God that Rock is finally gone (his ST play has dropped off significantly and no way can he play RB). I'm hoping we sign a POWER back, a guy that can get us those third and shorts, so CP doesn't have to take those vicious hits (Sellers, as much as I like him, is sadly not a good short yardage back).

FB: Obvious.

WR: Moss. Love the guy. When healthy, is a GREAT #1. Teams focus solely on him in the passing game and he still puts up #s/makes plays.

WR2: Thomas/Kelly. Rotate the two. [Note to Zorn: LET THEM ****ING PLAY BEFORE YOU DETERMINE WHETHER YOU CAN ****ING TRUST THEM!!!]

Slot: ARE. Not a big fan of his, but I don't think he leaves (btw, you can thank Joe Gibbs for his signing, as Randle El is an extremely devout christian).

#5WR:ANYONE BUT TrashThrash. McMullen would've been nice to have this year...(The day that Trash and Rock are no longer a part of the Redskins, I'm going to throw a huge ****ing party.)

As for D, I don't think we have many holes actually. Lets not forget they were ranked #3 overall not too long ago. But the #1 priority on Defense needs to be a pass rushing DT.

Anthony Montgomery is a great run stuffer, and I have no idea why Blache decided that it was a good idea to bench him in favor of Gholston, who is average in all aspects and only good for depth. A pass rushing DT paired up with Montgomery would make our DL look A LOT better. Honestly, I'd be willing to give up our 1st rounder to Tennessee for Haynesworth. I think that he is going to be our #1 FA target this offseason. And if we do get him, our DL can be downright friggin' nasty!

DE: Carter, Taylor(the guy was Defensive POY 2 years ago and suffered a major injury in the preseason...a bit too soon to quit on him), Evans and Daniels. If we keep another DE, Erasmus James(if he shows anything). Wilson has been a disappointment after how he came on last year.

MLB:Fletcher should be our MLB until he has to walk around with a cane.

WLB: Rocky. He is young, developing and next year will be his second year coming off his ACL/MCL injury.

SLB:....Ray Lewis. I know it sounds crazy, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if he were to end up here. The Ravens are cheap, and there has been a lot of talk that this is his last year in Baltimore. Welcome to the U North, Ray! (BTW, yes I know he is old but he still is easily one of the best, if not the best, LBs in the game)

DBs:Keep everyone. Rogers/Hall will develop into a great starting CB duo. Smoot/Springs would be great at nickel, with Springs switching time between NB/S, and taking less snaps.

As for the draft(if we have any picks left lol), I would try to trade down and/or draft developmental players who have a pretty high upside(OL/DL, of course :) )

One last thing, while most of us Skins fans are pretty pissed off at how the season is heading, just remember that pretty much NO ONE (including many/most skins fans) didn't expect us to do much this year, with all the coaching/FO/system changes and all.

While some may not want to believe it, there still is hope in this team. Hell, we're still technically alive for the playoffs this year, no matter how you see it. Keep hope alive! LOL

great post man. i agree with everything you say. ive been preaching for shaun suisham to be out of here and last offseason i got killed for it. he'll be gone, and im happy about it. this is a position we address in free agency. no more stupid rookie busts (a.k.a. durant brooks)

Agreed on most points. Disagree with following:

Smoot and Rogers should go. Rogers once again is being beat more then contributing and he cannot make an INT if it hits in the hands, the gut, etc. I hate the love affair some fans have with him. He is average at best.

I agree we keep Hall he is decent.

We also need a speedy returner and it is not Randal El or Rock Cartwright.

Much as I love Buges he goes and we revamp the line with new innovative line coach.

Seeing how the Dolphins got Parcells to be with the organization and seeing what he is doing with them, how about someone like Marty Schottenheimer or Jimmy Johnson? Now to go and bash me to much, but I think these guys are pretty smart football wise and could probably change the direction of this franchise. I really liked Marty when he was coach here, didn't like to see him go. jmo

Seeing how the Dolphins got Parcells to be with the organization and seeing what he is doing with them, how about someone like Marty Schottenheimer or Jimmy Johnson? Now to go and bash me to much, but I think these guys are pretty smart football wise and could probably change the direction of this franchise. I really liked Marty when he was coach here, didn't like to see him go. jmo

Um, Danny has already fired Marty once, you think that he'd come back?

And Johnson hasn't done squat in the last decade, and doesn't want to come back.

Vermeil would be an interesting idea, if he wanted to come back.

Otherwise, I don't know. Somebody who is with the Patriots or Colts..

Archived