Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OffSeason Moves Thread: POST YOUR THOUGHTS HERE- DO NOT CREATE NEW THREAD

SkinsNoles21

We need someone that actually has a vested intrest in the team. Hell, Mark Murphy is the president and ceo in green bay, and ozzie newsome is doing a good job...so its not a stretch for a former player to hold the position. The next GM CANNOT be a yes man. DS personality and reputation will keep many good GMs away. Of course the big names are out there, but I dare to ask....if DS rehired cerrato, why cant he rehire Casserly? Can he be any worse?? Not advocating that he does...just asking the question.

If Cerrato was given the axe, a former Redskins player who played during the Super Bowl glory years would make a great GM for the Redskins. Maybe Joe Theismann or Charles Mann. Who knows?

What in the world makes you think either of these two men have any skill in evaluating talent?

Actually I think we have an up-and-comer in our FO already. I'd give Cerrato one more year to allow Morocco Brown to be groomed and then Vinny gets the axe.

he gets my vote....its not a coincidence that our late rounders turn out to be good along with our undrafted free agents. Too bad vinny and zorn wont let them get on the field before other team pick them off our practice squad. but morocco brown should be our next gm

Um, Danny has already fired Marty once, you think that he'd come back?

And Johnson hasn't done squat in the last decade, and doesn't want to come back.

Vermeil would be an interesting idea, if he wanted to come back.

Otherwise, I don't know. Somebody who is with the Patriots or Colts..

Actually, Marty and Dan have made ammends and apparently are on really good terms.

Actually I think we have an up-and-comer in our FO already. I'd give Cerrato one more year to allow Morocco Brown to be groomed and then Vinny gets the axe.

This. x10000000

Considering Morocco was the one guy Marty kept on his staff from before, considering all the accolades he got, considering Chicago did their best not to lose him.

This, again, x10000000

What I wouldn't mind is Scott Campbell as EVP of FO and Morocco as GM...like a Parcells/Ireland thing

Would Danny ever let a GM do his job? I've always had the impression that Vinny is just a yes-man/eunuch/lap dog/figure-head/Segfried to Danny's Roy/empty suit and that Danny really calls all the shots (maybe some of the true insiders on this board can imform on that topic). If we could bring in a guy like Pioli or Newsome and let him do his actual job that would be a HUGE step in the right direction. Of course I've been hoping this for years now, maybe someday it can happen.

If not a QB, and I have been convinced otherwise, the truth stands that next year is the year of the OLT. OLT are always the safest pick and always go high in the draft.

We need to get one of these OLT, Plug them into the RT spot until Samuels retires. Even if we have to trade up and get them, Oher, Smith and Monroe are the class of this great OLT class.

Here is the breakdown of the top OL in 2009 thanks to: www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2009/top-nfl-prospects-for-2009.cfm?pos=OL

1. Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi - 6'5- 320
    Oher would have been a first-round pick this year, but he liked Mississippi's hiring of Houston Nutt and decided to return for his senior season. The massive offensive tackle paved the way for running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis to amass 1,000 yards on the ground in both 2006 and 2007. That earned him second-team All-Southeastern Conference recognition from the coaches... Read More
  2. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama - 6'4- 340
    Smith and fellow SEC offensive tackle Michael Oher (Ole Miss) are leading the way in what should turn out to be an extremely strong offensive linemen draft class in 2009. That will almost certainly remain the case throughout this college football season as long as Smith stays healthy, which is a bit of a concern at the moment. An ankle sprain Smith sustained in Alabam... Read More
  3. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia - 6'6- 315
    After Mississippi's Michael Oher and Alabama's Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe will be the third offensive tackle on most lists. Monroe went through the 2007 season at Virginia pretty underrated and off the radar. But that will not last much longer and Monroe will get plenty of recognition after he wraps up his senior season with the Cavaliers. At 6-6 and 315 pounds, Mo... Read More
  4. Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma - 6'5- 335
    It is not everyday that a true freshman plays a role on Oklahoma. But Duke Robinson played in ten games at left guard in 2005 and even some saw action at left tackle. By his sophomore campaign, Robinson was a staple at left guard and took more snaps than any other linemen on the team. For his efforts he earned All-Big 12 honorable mention accolades. As a junior, Robin... Read More
  5. Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State - 6'8- 313
    Alex Boone is one of the top tackle prospects for the 2009 NFL Draft. Boone is a huge, mountain of a man who practically lives in the film room according to his coaches. Boone is the leader of an offensive line that is averaging 163.5 yards rushing per game in 2008, even without the services of Chris "Beanie" Wells for most of the season. The Buckeye offensive line (w... Read More
  6. Alex Mack, C, California arrowup.gif - 6'4- 316
    Alex Mack has been rated by many experts as the best offensive lineman in college football. Because he plays center and not guard or tackle, he may not be a top 10 pick in the 2009 draft. Mack is a very intelligent player who is capable of making all line calls. He always plays with his head on a swivel and is the anchor for one of the top running attacks in colleg... Read More
  7. Ciron Black, OT, LSU - 6'5- 320
    LSU's offensive line (and defensive line for that matter) looks like it belongs in the NFL, and Black is literally a big reason why. Compared to fellow lineman Herman Johnson he might seem small, but Black still brings a 6'5 and 320-pound frame to the offensive tackle position. For a man of size he has solid speed, having run close to a 5.2 in the 40-yard-dash. Speaki... Read More
  8. Max Unger, C, Oregon arrowup.gif - 6'5- 305
    Unger is a very versatile offensive line prospect from the University of Oregon. He has started every game since setting foot on the Oregon campus, starting his freshman and sophomore seasons at left tackle before switching to center for his junior season. He is listed as a tackle prospect by ESPN, but will likely be a better center in the NFL. He is not a road gradin... Read More
  9. Herman Johnson, OG, LSU arrowup.gif - 6'7- 355
    Johnson is an absolute mammoth of an offensive linemen. Even in a day and age when all of the guys up front are nothing less than massive, Johnson can be an intimidating physical presence at guard. He is 6'7 and a weight of 355 pounds might even be an understatement. While Johnson's size clearly sets him apart, it's the rest of his game that really makes the LSU star ... Read More
  10. Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina arrowup.gif - 6'5- 298
    If NFL teams are looking for an offensive lineman to come in and contribute immediately, they can look no further than this South Carolina Game****. To say Meredith is high on the experience factor would be an understatement. He redshirted as a freshman after playing in one game, and coming into 2008 he had started 28 consecutive games; 29 in total dating back to his ... Read More
  11. Jonathan Luigs, C, Arkansas arrowdown.gif - 6'4- 314
    Luigs was one of the unsung heroes for Arkansas last season as Darren McFadden and Felix Jones rushed into stardom, but his play up front did not go completely unnoticed. In fact, Luigs won the Rimington Trophy as the nation's best center and he was a consensus All-American. Regardless of how talented the running backs are, the accolades are well-deserved when you pav... Read More
  12. Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma arrowup.gif - 6'8- 337
    There are not many tackles as big as Phil Loadholt. At 6-8 and 337 pounds, he is big even for a lineman. His road to Oklahoma went through Garden City Community College where he spent his freshman and sophomore seasons dominating the juco ranks. In 2007, Loadholt stepped into the starting role at left tackle with the Sooners. His size alone could make him a first ... Read More
  13. Anthony Parker, OT, Tennessee arrowup.gif - 6'3- 300
    Parker has a lot of things going for him, but also a lot of things going against him. First the good: he started 12 games as a sophomore in 2006 and all 14 of Tennessee's games as a junior last season. Parker has been used at right guard and left guard. Paving the way for an extremely successful rushing attack in Knoxville last year, Parker was name a consensus First-... Read More

Biggest needs in the draft IMO are ORT and DT. I would be thrilled if every single pick we have (which is 4 IIRC) was used for lineman. That is where we need to get younger.

QB needs to be addressed as well and I think there are some trade options out there.

Biggest needs in the draft IMO are ORT and DT. I would be thrilled if every single pick we have (which is 4 IIRC) was used for lineman. That is where we need to get younger.

QB needs to be addressed as well and I think there are some trade options out there.

I agree with you. I think this year we need to get a top OLT to play RT who can fill in as Samuels is getting old.

There should be some good NT in the second round if we can move back there and pick one up

There was this good article outlining why drafting for the OL isn't always the best idea. Some high draft picks become major busts, and injuries can totally squander your investment. It backed its assertions up with many examples, contrasting the high of draft day and the down of how it eventually panned out.

I definitely want a powerful offensive line... its when you take everything into consideration that you realize going for the OL is not a gimmie.

I personally think drafting the best player on the board is probably the best way to go... when the draft is over you can then sign players to fill areas that were not met. Of course, this idea is best when you aren't changing the offensive playbook at least once every a couple years... :doh:

Archived