Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Old Is Your House

DeanCollins

The house that we moved into in april was finished in february of '70 and so was my olds 442. It made me think about how many beginning of decade ages and events, that are connected with my life. Grandmother was born in 1900, Dad in 1930, myself in 1960. The Arlington house that I grew up in (Dad's house) was built in 1930. My first house was built in 1960 (Dad and my first houses were built the year that we were born, respectively). And now I have houses that were built in 1950, 1960, and 1970.

When was the house that you're living in bulit, and how does that correspond to other events?

Aren't older houses better built than newer ones?

Some, yes, some, no.

But a "properly built" house 50 years ago, structurally, is probably going to have a lot more lumber in it. But it also is going to have cast iron plumbing, ****ty wiring, and plaster. So they can keep it as far as I'm concerned :D

But many people would say that older homes were built with a lot more pride and architectural detail, which I think overall is true. I think it's always neat to see older 1500 square foot homes with beatifully pitched roofs, extravagant brickwork, nicely trimmed out, mosaic tile, hardwood floors, etc. Nowadays, a 1500 sq foot home is going to be built as a starter home, with the least expensive materials possible. 4/12 pitched roof, basic interior trim, linoleum floors, carpet, etc. If you want nice detail, you're going to have to look at a much bigger home.

So in that respect, if you're in the market for a 1500 sq. foot home, you might be better off going old.

My house was built in 2005. I don't think I could ever have the patience to own an old home. As it is, I spend almost every weekend doing some sort of project. I can't imagine owning an old home, I'd go crazy trying to make everything perfect.

Built in 1951. Pluses and minuses there, as zoony pointed out. Our house has some interesting archetectural details, classic original hardwood flooring, brick fireplace, etc. But there is an endless supply of things that need fixing, refurbishing, etc. The wiring appears to have been done by a mad scientist.

Overall we love the house, though. We've done a crapload of work and improvements on it since we bought it.

Mine was built in 1985. The same year I graduated from high school. My car's are '07 and '01, '07 was the worst year of my life but that didn't happen till after I bought the car. '01 was a reasonably good year, got a promotion and work was going really well. I brought our mapping department from the 1950's paper to cutting edge modern computerized in a few years. I guess I was busy establishing the reputation that I'm kinda sponging off now. :D

:soapbox:A lesson, work your ass off while you can, because you might need those markers someday. I thank God I did it's been my saving grace.

• 1 year later...
*Bump*

The house I'm buying was built in 1955 with an addition in 2006.

Closing next month...advice?

Congrats man!

I just bought a townhouse in February, it was built in 98.

As for advice, make sure you have a really good inspector to go over everything in the house with you. There were things our inspector was checking that I never would've thought of. Ask him/her alot of questions and make sure you get the seller to fix whatever is wrong. Good luck!

Congrats man!

As for advice, make sure you have a really good inspector to go over everything in the house with you. There were things our inspector was checking that I never would've thought of. Ask him/her alot of questions and make sure you get the seller to fix whatever is wrong. Good luck!

Thanks! The house is a short sale, so were on the hook for repairs. However my wife's father is a master Electrician and Carpenter. He spent the better part of an afternoon going over everything and got a buddy who is in foundation repair to check that out. We're having a chimney guy out as well.

Some, yes, some, no.

But a "properly built" house 50 years ago, structurally, is probably going to have a lot more lumber in it. But it also is going to have cast iron plumbing, ****ty wiring, and plaster. So they can keep it as far as I'm concerned :D

But many people would say that older homes were built with a lot more pride and architectural detail, which I think overall is true. I think it's always neat to see older 1500 square foot homes with beatifully pitched roofs, extravagant brickwork, nicely trimmed out, mosaic tile, hardwood floors, etc. Nowadays, a 1500 sq foot home is going to be built as a starter home, with the least expensive materials possible. 4/12 pitched roof, basic interior trim, linoleum floors, carpet, etc. If you want nice detail, you're going to have to look at a much bigger home.

So in that respect, if you're in the market for a 1500 sq. foot home, you might be better off going old.

My house was built in 2005. I don't think I could ever have the patience to own an old home. As it is, I spend almost every weekend doing some sort of project. I can't imagine owning an old home, I'd go crazy trying to make everything perfect.

very true. i just replaced galvanized pipe plumbing. i take real showers now. :party:

our house was built in 1952, which doesn't carry any significance, really. luckily, our electric was updated before we bought the house in '03. plaster walls suck, though our exterior walls are a brick facade over masonry, so the shell can't even burn down. sucks for hanging pictures to have to get the hammer drill and masonry bit out. :ols:

to add to zoony's thoughts about being a lot of work:

we've replaced windows, the a/c system, updated the plumbing, done a few electrical upgrades (kitchen needed it bad, only one outlet when we moved in), replaced crawl space insulation (i'll never DIY again), pulled up the old carpet and sanded, stained and poly'd the hardwoods, painted every room, converted a window to french doors leading out to the addition, added attic access ladder and laid plywood for storage, installed a paver patio, cut down 8 trees that were either too close to the house or our driveway. i haven't even gotten into pool refurb / maintenance, landscaping, tree house.....lots of work. but we look out our living room picture window and the town park is across the street. it's quiet, we have great neighbors, we love it here.

Archived