Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

You might not want to drink 'em yet, but I suggest picking pumpkin beer up as soon as you can, even just to store it cause once it is gone you will always regret not having picked up more to last you longer into the year.

Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin is out here already so I picked one of those up, it is probably a top 3 pumpkin beer I have ever had.

Also picked up this guy, first time I ever saw it.

beer_pk_prod.png

It was decent, pretty mildly flavored for a pumpkin beer though. I only saw it in an 12 pack or singles, so I picked up a couple singles at $1.50 a piece. It is pretty easy to drink due to the mild flavor.  This brewery makes Fat Tire, probably what they are most known for.

Picked up some other usual stuff, but my PRIZED PIECE of the haul?

96035.jpg Black Butte Porter is one of my favorite Porters, so I had to jump on the chance to get on of their anniversary editions.  It is pretty steep at $12.99, something I don't spend on a single beer often, or lightly, but this is definitely one of those "get it now or you will never see it around again" type things.  A local bar here has last year's XXIV on tap, they have been aging it for a year, so I hope to try and get out there and try some before it is gone.  Deschutues is quickly becoming a "can't-miss" brewery for me, and since it is in Oregon, we are lucky enough to get most of their standard and special releases down here!

I almost picked up the New Belgium Pumpkick yesterday, but opted for DFH Raison D Etre. Glad I did, because reviews I read generally call it a run of the mill pumpkin beer. And that's cool if you like the spectrum of pumpkin beers, I just can't get in to them after having the heavy stuff. Heavy pumpkin beer is some of the tastiest stuff on planet Earth. I will be seeking out the Shipyard Pumpkin beer, good lookin' out NoCal.

The Stone Espresso RIS might be gone for the year, unless you can find a local shop where they just happen to have some inventory left. It was a special limited release version of the regular RIS, but with all the great feedback I am sure they will do another batch of it for 2014 and when they do I will definitely be picking up more than a couple bottles so I can have some to store for awhile.

d0ublestr0ker0ll, make sure you get Shipyard's SMASHED PUMPKIN.  They also do another one called Pumpkin Head which comes in six packs, but it is lighter and just ok.  Smashed Pumpkin is the really great one, $7.99 (about) for the 22 oz. bottle depending on where you get it. A lot of times people get them confused because the names are familiar

PugSmashPump_HR.jpg1_96121126_3.jpg

You want the one on the left.  The one on the right isn't awful or anything, but if you like the full body taste and a heavier flavor, Smashed Pumpkin is worth the extra money.  I usually buy Smashed Pumpkin to drink, and Pumpkin Head to do Pumpkin Pie bombers which is dropping a shot of whipped cream vodka into pumpkin beer (also done wiht cheaper pumpkin beer like shock top pumpkin)

I've done a lot of beer drinking this summer and brewery visiting.  Some of my favorites of the summer:

Sam's Porch Rocker- great session beer, perfect when I want something light 

Port City Porter- Probably my favorite porter right now.  Great flavor (PS this is a GREAT brewery to visit if you haven't gone)

Sea Dog Hazelnut Porter- was in Maine last week and visited the brewery, tried this and really enjoyed it

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar- probably my favorite beer, maybe tied with Alesmith (San Diego) Nautical Nut Brown.

Obviously I like heavier, maltier beers.  Especially with a nutty flavor.

If you have one to recommend, I'm all ears :)

Also, if anyone is on Untappd, you can find me under "zapato"

I love Sam's Porch Rocker. To me, I think it's the perfect summer beer.

I haven't been able to find 6-packs lately, and it makes me sad. I have only found them recently at Wegman's.  I usually pick that up and their Blackberry Wit if I'm in a summery, fruity mood.

Edited by MissU28

I love Sam's Porch Rocker. To me, I think it's the perfect summer beer.

I haven't been able to find 6-packs lately, and it makes me sad. I have only found them recently at Wegman's.  I usually pick that up and their Blackberry Wit if I'm in a summery, fruity mood.

I think it's done now. I've been seeing all the Sam's fall beers out now. Which is sad because I really like Porch Rocker.

Hi Folks,

Wanted some advice as I am coming over to watch the Bears game in October. As it's a short visit (Thursday-Monday), I should have plenty of room in my suitcase for stashing some craft beer to take back home. I'll be staying at Rosslyn Bridge in Arlington and wondered what I'd likely be able to find in the area, both in terms of where to buy and which breweries are likely to be stocked.

In terms of US beers, I'm well familiar with Brooklyn & Sam Adams lagers, Goose Island's Honkers, IPA and 312 wheat, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Porter, Anchor Steam and Porter. I can quite easily get hold of these in the UK, so these aren't what I'm looking for. I appreciate Stone's Arrogant **** and Ruination, but Sierra Nevada's Torpedo took me the whole of the second half of a superbowl to get through and I didn't care much for it (which is a bad sign, as I'll drink almost anything once I've had a few).

In general, I do like my beer how I like my women - dark and with a bit of body, but like most styles and drink according to circumstance, so I'd prefer to try a wider variety, including some of the seasonals (will Oktoberfests and pumpkins still be widely available in October?)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Folks,

Wanted some advice as I am coming over to watch the Bears game in October. As it's a short visit (Thursday-Monday), I should have plenty of room in my suitcase for stashing some craft beer to take back home. I'll be staying at Rosslyn Bridge in Arlington and wondered what I'd likely be able to find in the area, both in terms of where to buy and which breweries are likely to be stocked.

In terms of US beers, I'm well familiar with Brooklyn & Sam Adams lagers, Goose Island's Honkers, IPA and 312 wheat, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Porter, Anchor Steam and Porter. I can quite easily get hold of these in the UK, so these aren't what I'm looking for. I appreciate Stone's Arrogant **** and Ruination, but Sierra Nevada's Torpedo took me the whole of the second half of a superbowl to get through and I didn't care much for it (which is a bad sign, as I'll drink almost anything once I've had a few).

In general, I do like my beer how I like my women - dark and with a bit of body, but like most styles and drink according to circumstance, so I'd prefer to try a wider variety, including some of the seasonals (will Oktoberfests and pumpkins still be widely available in October?)

Heavy Seas is a great (fairly) local brewery.  They're located just south of Baltimore, MD, so about an hour away from DC.  Pretty much anything by them is worth a try, and they have offerings that run the gamut of styles.

Hi Folks,

If you can get Deschutes on the east coast (Brewery out of Oregon) I highly recommend their Black Butte Porter.  Full bodied porter with all the right hints and aromas. If you are able to splurge and pick up a bottle to save for a special occasion the XXV special release is in stores now. (I posted a pic of it in this thread) Some bars buy a keg and save it a year (A place around here is now pouring last year's XXIV). It is about $12.99 for the 1 pint 6oz bottle but not sure if it would be priced higher due to longer shipping all the way out in the east coast.

Well I'm still enjoying the Summer,but just doing so having 1or 5 of these. ;)

I am hit and miss on the Octoberfest.  Sometimes they are really good and sometimes they are o.k.  But, I had a couple pints the other day at a local pizza place, it was on tap, and it was the best it's ever tasted.  Made me think, hmmm, this could be my favorite beer.  I will pick up some this weekend at the store and probably be disappointed.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale on tap......served in the official brandy snifter.

Honestly, do yourself a favor with this one.

BTW, for those who know about the Stone's Russian Imperial Espresso Stout, I found a Stone's Russian Imperial Stout but it doesn't say anything about espresso the bottle is 2012 I'm wondering if is just a labling thing or if this is a different beer.

*edit*

Just saw NoCalMike's post thank you.

*/edit*

2nd from the right.

9530587842_4117c1c127_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

AshburySkinsFan, there could still be some Espresso out there.  I took NoCalMike's advice last night and it worked!  I'm usually loyal to Total Wine because its huge and they have so much inventory...but I did a Yelp search for liquor stores and found a small one that was reviewed as having "a small but impressive craft beer section." 

Got the last two on the shelf:

7nlh.jpg

(Mega Liquors on University/Sawgrass in Coral Springs, FL if anyone in the area is reading.  They had other Cigar City inventory too that Total is sold out of)

Edited by Southtown

Southtown, awesome that you were able to track some of the Espresso IRS down! Hope you enjoy it, lemme know!

Stone's IRS and Espresso IRS are two different brews.

The standard IRS is just that, and the Espresso version is the IRS but brewed with coffee beans.

The standard IRS is very solid, you still can't go wrong with it, IMO (nor will you go wrong with Stone's Smoked Porter, either), however IMO, the Espresso IRS is just on another level.

Ashbury, the bottle all the way to the left of that pic you posted is Wil Wheaton's Woot Stout.  If it is still there, pick up a bottle. It is very good, and once the first shipment out here sold out I haven't seen any since, so maybe pick up 2 bottles if possible, drink one, age the other, perhaps?

:ph34r:

Edited by NoCalMike

yesterday, I had a 'brew free or die IPA' http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/735/20781 and a lagunitas sumpin sumpin ale http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/49789

i'm really a little too picky with my taste in beer (loving loads of hops and little else....its a curse.), but both of these beers were really good. too many ales and IPAs have some hop flavor with nothing behind it. both of these had the body and pleasant aftertaste to back it up.

good stuff.

This IPA is fantastic.

yqtk.jpg

I had seen Head Hunter on a few top 10 IPA lists but never bothered picking it up.  I've only seen it on rozis.com and with shipping it just didn't make sense to order.  Anyways, saw it at Total Wine this weekend.  Appears they now have limited distribution in Florida. 

Will definitely put it in the rotation if I can keep getting it.  While it doesn't taste exactly the same...I put the first sip right up there with the feeling I get when I sip a Maharaja or a Lagunitas Sucks.  You know right away you've got a good one.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19544/50564

Edited by Southtown