Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Little Sumpin is a great IPA, I usually take a 6er with me anytime I go to the River. Very refreshing IPA when you are outside on a hot day.

Lagunitas is a pretty good brewery overall, too.  I realy like their Hop Stoopid brand.

I love Hop Stoopid. I also love Little Sumpin Sumpin and really really wanted to try Little Sumpin Wild. Don't know when I'll get the chance to get it now that i've missed my chance

Those shirts are great GoSkins561.  I see they are sold out per this link but will definitely get on when they are back in stock.

https://flyingdogbrewery.web-stores.biz/On-The-Warpath-Tee_p_192.html

Yesterday I went to a friend's house to watch the game.  I brought this.  These were behind the counter at Total Wine and limit 1 per customer.  I got the last one in the store.

a4ik.jpg

I don't get it.  Coconut IPA?  You couldn't taste any coconut at all.  It was a solid beer but it basically tasted like a typical Stone offering.  Would not buy again.

Edited by Southtown

At the one year anniversary of my friends burger place last night they had a few super rare and delicious beers.  First was the Lawson's Finest Liquids 'Double Dry Hopped Double Sunshine IPA', made specifically for the anniversary. Sean Lawson himself was there to tap the cask. I wish they would step up their capacity so it would be easier to get their beers.  

There was also a keg of the Hill Farmstead Arthur, one of the best saison's I've ever had.  And the Abner which is another incredible DIPA.    

I was a very happy man last night to say the least.

If you want to try a beer that definitely does have hints of coconut?  Try Maui Brewing Co's Coconut Porter.  It is kind of pricey at around $10 for a 4 pack, but it is delicious.  It must be a top seller for them too because almost every other beer they make comes in a six pack for about the same price but for some reason the coconut porter is only 4 packs.

picked up a sixer of smuttynose finestkind IPA.

I swear ive had an IPA from them before and didn't think it was anything special. this is my kind of IPA- full flavored, hoppy, and just heavy enough. I hate a 'light' IPA. actually, i'd probably be fine with it if I could find one. this may actually qualify, if i'm grading on the curve, anyway. not as heavy as torpedo, but heavier than most ive tried.

reminds me of a dogfishhead IPA with slightly more body.

pleasantly surprised.

A new brewery will be open very soon in maryland, cant have enough in my opinion, since its local I'll stop by to test them out once they open their doors to the public

They will be using bob hall as a distributor

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mullys-Brewery/140214105991473

http://www.mullysbrewery.com/

Edited by DButz65

If you want to try a beer that definitely does have hints of coconut?  Try Maui Brewing Co's Coconut Porter.  It is kind of pricey at around $10 for a 4 pack, but it is delicious.  It must be a top seller for them too because almost every other beer they make comes in a six pack for about the same price but for some reason the coconut porter is only 4 packs.

Do they sell this in stores now!? Where can you find it? I had this beer when I was in Maui this time last year for my honeymoon and thought it was absolutely delicious. I'm not the biggest porter fan but thought the coconut flavor in this beer was excellent.

Do they sell this in stores now!? Where can you find it? I had this beer when I was in Maui this time last year for my honeymoon and thought it was absolutely delicious. I'm not the biggest porter fan but thought the coconut flavor in this beer was excellent.

It's in stores here.  They do sell out of it from time to time but we get a regular supply of multiple brands Maui Brewing Co.'s beer.

Distribution is pretty inconsistent I've noticed when it comes to where you happen to live, it is almost a crap shoot regarding what your region gets. 

Everywhere seems to get, Dogfishead, Shipyard, Stone, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Lagunitas, Red Hook, among others, but the thing is a lot of these micro-breweries are in fact very small operations which makes it difficult for them to get distribution outside their region.

I'd "kill" to get my hands on Southern Tier's Pumking, but it doesn't have any CA distribution.  And I think shipping beer is illegal, or at least the laws are so weird and vary from state to state.  I know beeradvocate.com  has a sub-forum dedicated to beer trading though so I think I need to look into that.

Anyone here use the untapp'd app on ios?  Basically a social media app for checking in the different beers you are trying out, with the option to attach a pic.....pretty cool!  I am SudsBud916 on it. Add me!

NoCalMike said:

I'd "kill" to get my hands on Southern Tier's Pumking, but it doesn't have any CA distribution.  And I think shipping beer is illegal, or at least the laws are so weird and vary from state to state.  I know beeradvocate.com  has a sub-forum dedicated to beer trading though so I think I need to look into that.

-----------------

Shipping beer isn't illegal...you just can't use USPS.  With FedEx and UPS its fine.  I have two people I currently trade with and shipping isn't an issue.

A 6 bomber box costs about $20 to ship via FedEx or UPS.  With tax, Pumking is about $7.41 out the door.  With shipping it works out to about $10.75 a bottle ($64 for the box).  A site like letspour.com probably has a similar price if you use a coupon code. 

You would probably have some luck on beeradvocate for trading.  They would die to trade for something as "easy" as Pumking...and since you're in California you'd probably have a lot to offer other parts of the country. 

Edit:  Just checked letspour.com  You can get 6 bottles for $69.  I'm almost positive there is a $10 off coupon code for new customers if you dig a bit...so $59 to your front door. 

Edited by Southtown

Ok, tell me more about letspour.com 

Is it the website itself doing the shipping of beer, or is it merely facilitating two people who want to trade?

To clarify, if I wanted to order pumking, do I simply place an order on letspour, or do I go on there and find a specific user who has access to that beer and setup a trade?

Ok, tell me more about letspour.com 

Is it the website itself doing the shipping of beer, or is it merely facilitating two people who want to trade?

To clarify, if I wanted to order pumking, do I simply place an order on letspour, or do I go on there and find a specific user who has access to that beer and setup a trade?

letspour is a retail site.  You are buying the beer from them.  I just checked and they still have $10 off your first order and free shipping if you order 6 of any bottles.  (the bottles are marked up to offset the shipping)  So $59 for 6 bottles to your front door.  $ for $ that's going to be easier than setting up a beer trade. (and without the labor and fear of the dreaded UPS "package damaged in transit, merchandise discarded" update)

Here's another one for the Coffee/Chocolate Stout lovers.

137286.jpg

Flavor is amazing. I've heard Drake's Porter is good too, but more on the coffee side, where as the stout is a solid mix of Chocolate/Coffee.  I had passed this one up on the shelf so many times due to being at the beer store for something specifically, I'm glad I finally picked one up because it was great.

Drake's is out of San Leandro which is just south of Oakland, 5 mins away from where the Oakland Athletics play.  I'm seriously thinking of picking up some bleacher seats for a Saturday evening game, and hitting up Drake's Brewery first, they have an impressive list on tap, including a nItro milk stout, something I have yet to ever try but hear amazing things about.

Nice to see we don't have a bunch of beer snobs here-- I sell brew for a living-- lots of craft brews from all over the Country --have cases of samples and I prefer a good old American Domestic Lager over the pricey alcohol ramped up stuff-- gimme a Yeungling Bud or Boxer any day over a Sierra Nevada 

I can finally get into the pumpkin conversation.  Good Lord!  Check out that Good Gourd!

e1yd.jpg

Cigar City has been having distribution issues (possibly intentional) and its been tough to get any of their bottles.  A friend was coming down from Tampa and I had her stop by the brewery.  Scored some Good Gourd and a few others.  My favorite pumpkin beer.  Reviews here:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/47020/?sort=serv&servT=1&start=0

I can finally get into the pumpkin conversation.  Good Lord!  Check out that Good Gourd!

e1yd.jpg

Cigar City has been having distribution issues (possibly intentional) and its been tough to get any of their bottles.  A friend was coming down from Tampa and I had her stop by the brewery.  Scored some Good Gourd and a few others.  My favorite pumpkin beer.  Reviews here:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/47020/?sort=serv&servT=1&start=0

Consider me jealous! Most of the best pumpkin beers I have read about are coming from the East Coast, and other than Dogfishhead and Shipyard (which are badass) it is often hard to get the smaller breweries to ship all the way out here.

When I get paid next week I will be picking up a local breweries pumpkin ale, just started stocking 'em on shelves this week.

So far for 2013 I've had Shipyard's Pumpkinhead (an all-time fave), Uintas Punk'N(Good if you are into a straight up "tastes like I took a bite out of an actual pumpkin" flavor), and New Belgium's Pumpkick.(mildly flavored, easy to drink,)

Red Hook's Pumpkin Porter is due here sometime in next few days, so hopefully by this time next week I will have added 2 more to the roster.  Every year I usually take a group pic of the different pumpkin beers I was able to try....Will be doing that once inventory is becoming depleted in late October!