Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I freaked out for a little bit tonight. I totally forgot that November was the month of the backwoods **** limited release. I started scrambling, calling a few stores around here to see if they had any in stock. First three stores I called were sold out. Last store I called had a handful of four packs left. Grabbed myself a pack ( they were only allowing one per person).

My night was made. Easily my favorite beer. If anyone is a fan of scotch ales / wee heavys, I would highly recommend checking it out.

I also found this for $5.50 which is a steal:

where dd you see it at that price? whole foods?

i recently had some hop wallop victory IPA and some double wide IPA from boulevard brewing company. both really good, full flavored IPA's with not too much sweetness. hop wallop was 19.99 a sixer.

yikes!

where dd you see it at that price? whole foods?

i recently had some hop wallop victory IPA and some double wide IPA from boulevard brewing company. both really good, full flavored IPA's with not too much sweetness. hop wallop was 19.99 a sixer.

yikes!

Yea whole foods. Green Bullet Green Flash triple IPA bomber 10% for 5.50. That's insane

Picture doesn't show up for me.  What did you get for $5.50?  I might have to ask my parents if they can pick some up for me before they come over tomorrow.  #*^&&$ Maryland not allowing the sale of beer in grocery stores.

Edit: NM, just read the post above mine.

Edited by dfitzo53

Yea whole foods. Green Bullet Green Flash triple IPA bomber 10% for 5.50. That's insane

i just saw some at my local beer store. i think it was either 16 or 19$ for a 4 pack. 

of course, i live in MD, where i dont think any whole foods sell beer. grrrrr.

anyone live in germantown or gaithersburg know any cheap places to stock up on good beer? on a related note, anyone shop at total wine and more? how are the prices?

Had Leinie's Orange Shandy and Dominion Morning Glory Espresso Stout last night. Great times. Leinies is really underrated, not sippin beers, delicious to swig. That Orange Shandy was good, I could drink 20 of 'em in a session. The Dominion Morning Glory is the best deal as far as beer goes, for me at least. $9.50 a 6 pack? The only beer I can think of priced that well is the Sierra Nevada Torpedo at $9.50 as well. The Morning Glory is very chocolatey, with coffee sharing the spotlight.

Can someone recommend a good dark beer?

You want a national brand,specialty or local ?

Rochforte trappistry,Black Butte Porter,Samuel Smith oatmeal stout,Stones **** line,Guinness,Shiners black lager,Optimator.

Dos equis amber,newcastle brown ale,Samuel Adams cream stout

I love dark beers, depends on how sweet,strong or bitter ya want

i just saw some at my local beer store. i think it was either 16 or 19$ for a 4 pack. 

anyone live in germantown or gaithersburg know any cheap places to stock up on good beer? on a related note, anyone shop at total wine and more? how are the prices?

I live in MD too, shop at total wine and the perfect pour.  I don't ever see Green Flash at $16 or $19 for a 4 pack.  That's insane.  I think you need to look closer.  LOL.  I think you might need glasses.  Most IPA's are about $10.99 at the most for a 6 pack.

I just tapped a keg of Yards IPA the other day.    I've only ever had it in bottles.   

I can see it being a regular in the kegerator rotation, (the other's being Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, Victory Hop Devil & DuClaw's Hellrazer)

The only "issue" is, with an ABV of 7%, it's not exactly a session beer.     It has a slightly higher ABV than the Hop Devil & Hellrazer, and a slightly lower ABV than the Loose Cannon.

It's one of the better balanced IPA's that I've ever had.   Plenty of hops, but not over-the-top, and enough of a malt presence to make it very drinkable.    If you're a hard-core hop-head, this might not be for you.      

Edited by Skinsfan1311

That's a terrible price for the Green Flash.    A quick Google search showed 4-pack for less than that.

As far as beer prices go, IMO, Total Wine prices are just okay and not worth a long drive.  If I'm in the neighborhood, I'll go in one, but I won't go out of my way.    I can get similar, and better, pricing closer to home, (Glen Burnie) 

We can take a 15 minute drive to Arnold, hit up Fishpaw's or Dawson's in Severna Park, both of which have big beer selections, (though Dawson's has the bigger selection of the two), and good prices.   The bonus is that I can hit Broadleaf Tobacco on the way back home and pick up a couple of cigars :D

Brought home Boston Beer Company's Winter Sampler pack and, so far... all winners.

I guess if you bring that to a gathering, the completely unadventurous friend can drink the mega pedestrian Boston Lager. I mean, you'd think they'd toss in the Boston Ale or something else, at least.

I really like the old Fezziwig, though!  

Why?  I've had three or four different brews from them and they've all been good.

I’ve never had their beer. I’m sure it’s good. I’m from the same area as the brewery and know the family that started it. They’re pretty much ***holes, your stereotypical rich snobs in a more rural area. Also, when they started the brewery my perception was that it was pretty disingenuous of them. Blue Mountain Brewery opened in 2007 in an area that I never could have imagined would be successful for a brewery, and I guess they decided that “hey, if they can do so can we.” And so Devil’s Backbone opened a year or so later.

Anyway, personal consumer choice, nothing more.

(Blue Mountain is also a tremendous brewery fwiw)

I guess if you bring that to a gathering, the completely unadventurous friend can drink the mega pedestrian Boston Lager. I mean, you'd think they'd toss in the Boston Ale or something else, at least.

I really like the old Fezziwig, though!

Boston Lager > Boston Ale

Cherry Chocolate Bock > Old Fezziwig

Just my opinion of course. Boston Lager is the popular beer, but it's also a legitemately decent craft brew. The Boston Ale is a mundane amber, probably my last choice when it comes to ambers. Didn't like. Old Fezziwig was boring too, but I spoil the hell out of myself when it comes to dark beers in the winter time.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Boston Lager > Boston Ale

Cherry Chocolate Bock > Old Fezziwig

Just my opinion of course. Boston Lager is the popular beer, but it's also a legitemately decent craft brew. The Boston Ale is a mundane amber, probably my last choice when it comes to ambers. Didn't like. Old Fezziwig was boring too, but I spoil the hell out of myself when it comes to dark beers in the winter time.

We may not be on the same page as the Cherry Chocolate Bock was probably my least favorite of their seasonal box!  :lol:  The cherry flavor was a little overpowering and sweet for me. 

Fezziwig isn't my favorite winter warmer/spiced beer by a long shot, and I'd rather go with something stronger, but if someone brings a box to Turkey day on Thursday, I'm snagging that one first!