Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Led Zeppelin might tour without Robert Plant

BigMike619

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/30/led.zeppelin.singer.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- Led Zeppelin may yet reunite and tour -- and they'd consider doing it without Robert Plant.

John Paul Jones, the group's founding bassist, told the BBC that he and his fellow band members would consider looking for someone to replace their lead singer.

"We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get and get out there," he told the British radio program in an interview broadcast Monday. "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert."

Led Zeppelin's spokesman Chris Goodman declined to comment Wednesday on plans for a possible reunion.

now far be it from me to defend Led Zep, but how in the HELL do you tour without the lead singer? This is one of the biggest bands in history, so how do you do this?

Plant's doing his own stuff, got some good reviews too (not that I've heard anything of it), but I'd guess he just doesn't need the cash.

I'd love them to reform with Bonhams lad on drums as I was too young to see them before they broke up, but having said that tickets would probably be close to £100 ($200) which would price me out of going.

I'll be in the minority here but...

Plant's voice is a shadow of what it used to be - the guy from Jason Bonham's band could do more justice to the material. I also think John Paul Jones had far more to do with the sound of Zeppelin than most realize. Page picked him before anyone else when he was re-forming the Yardbirds because he knew from their studio days Jones was an excellent arranger.

I'll be in the minority here but...

Plant's voice is a shadow of what it used to be - the guy from Jason Bonham's band could do more justice to the material. I also think John Paul Jones had far more to do with the sound of Zeppelin than most realize. Page picked him before anyone else when he was re-forming the Yardbirds because he knew from their studio days Jones was an excellent arranger.

All true enough. But in my mind, when JB died, so did Zeppelin. With JB's son, and the surviving members, you can just slightly get by with calling them LZ. Without any additional member of the originals, it's impossible. They'd just be a cover band. Just like the farce that calls themselves Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Saw the real McCoys. LZ 3 times, LS 4times. Wouldn't go to a free concert by either of the Imposters.

Heard "Surf" on the radio yesterday hint that Steven Tyler has been rumored to be the step-in. Plant and Allison Krauss have been pretty darn successful and Robert wants to keep that going. I think it's better for him, at his age, to sing those low-key songs with Kruass rather than trying to pull off songs from Zeppelin 1, if I do say so myself.

As far as Tyler; the Aerosmith concert I went to back in the day at MCI center is still the best show I ever saw. They ENDED the show with back to back Zeppelin tunes. Not Dream On, not Dude Looks Like a Lady -- Zeppelin's Heartbreaker and Livin' Lovin' Maid. A band of Aerosmith's popularity respects Zep so much that they encore with their tunes. That just gave me shivers. That said, I would love for Steven Tyler to get with Page, Jones and Bonham Jr., but it'd rub me the wrong way that they would be called "Led Zeppelin". They have kept that band-name clean of bandmember switch-a-roo disease, only allowing a thankfully-forgetable Live Aid fling with Phil Collins, and of course Bonzo's son to step in. Now they're just going to roll out the welcome mat to be the leader of one of the most recognizable music acts in history? One shouldn't be weiry of it tainting their legacy, but a distracting sour taste should surface on our tongues when we see Mr. Walk This Way singing "How Many More Times". The first step to avoiding this would be to simply make a new name. AeroZep, ZeppelSmith, LedoSmith, Led ZepSmith, AudioSlave..

The second step is to limit the amount of Zep songs they play. Only do a few that Tyler can really compliment.

i saw them on their no quarter tour and the subsequent rock tour and i must say i will pay any price to see these guys again..... but not without plant!!

robert will come around .... his new album is ok but it isnt worth blowing this event for the fans....

i saw them on their no quarter tour and the subsequent rock tour and i must say i will pay any price to see these guys again..... but not without plant!!

robert will come around .... his new album is ok but it isnt worth blowing this event for the fans....

that's what I was thinking, they'll bluff Plant into it. As a fan, I'm a bit outraged that Plant is not willing after all these years. No Quarter sucked imo.

There is no way they should try and do this without Plant. They all did one big concert a few months ago and should leave it at that as I believe Plant himself said.

Led Zeppelin touring without Robert Plant, is like making a pizza without cheese or a tailgate without beer.

Plant doesnt owe anyone anything. He was in a successful band and now he is doing something else. If the best musical idea other members of that band come up with is to reform and regurgitate songs from 30+ years ago that their singer, frankly, cant handle anymore due to age etc, well let them get on with it. Just dont expect me to go and see it.

Deep Purple - my personal all-time band - still tour with Ian Gillan who's voice is falling apart. He cant come to terms with the idea that In Rock, Machine Head and Made and Japan were over 30 years ago and still trys (and fails dreadfully) to sing like he did then. Hearing Gillan with a band so important to me is bad enough without having to drag Plant through it just so someone can say they have "seen Led Zeppelin".

doublestroke, I saw Aerosmith with Kid Rock a few years ago and he still has a great voice. The guy can still sing and dance and he still is a great frontman.

TK nailed it though, if anyone should be replacing Plant its the guy who originally did. David "still of the night" Coverdale

Take it for what it's worth, because I can't remember where I heard this rumor, but apparently Myles Kennedy from Alterbridge is being considered to replace Plant for this tour. I think I heard this being discussed on Sirius Buzzsaw, Channel 19.

Personally, if not Plant I think Kennedy is a great choice. His vocal style is very close to a young Robert Plant.

• 2 weeks later...

At least they won't be touring under the name Led Zeppelin..

"Last year’s Led Zeppelin reunion concert wasn’t the end for Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham — but it looks like it was for Robert Plant. The three musicians have been holding rehearsals with singers including Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler (it didn’t go well, one source has heard) and possibly Myles Kennedy, lead singer of Alter Bridge (who has covered Zep songs onstage and has a formidable vocal range). But Page wants to make one thing clear about the new project. “Whatever this is, it is not Led Zeppelin,” says a rep for Page’s management company, QPrime. “Not without the involvement of Robert Plant.” "

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/11/13/could-a-robert-plant-free-led-zeppelin-tour-succeed/

Archived