Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to Fix Baseball's "Late Season Weather Issues"

KDawg

Personally, I think the outrage about the game being postponed is a bit silly. For those of you that don't know (IE: You live under a bunch of rocks) The Phillies and the Rays ended after playing 5 and a half innings tied 2-2 due to a monsoon in Philadelphia. Bud Selig suspended play until tonight. He says he allowed the game to be played due to a bad forecast he received.

Okay, great, now, the media is crying and saying baseball screwed this up.

So how do you fix it? Do you fix it?

I have a few suggestions.

First, play double headers on Wednesdays during the summer. You'd eliminate something like 16 days by doing that of the season, plus if you play an afternoon game at say... 12 or 1, the kids can come to the games and enjoy them. Then play the next game in your normal 7pm (EST) time slot. You'd end the regular season in late September and allow the World Series to be played a bit earlier.

I've heard people saying to avoid the weather, you should move the World Series to a neutral site, and the feelings on that are a mixed bag. Some say that's ridiculous and it takes away from the fans, and I somewhat agree. But I also agree that the Super Bowl does great in a neutral site, issue being it's just one game. Baseball is seven. Would it even work? I think it could, but I think it would take some getting used to...

The solution is don't change a thing.

This was the first postponed WS game, ever.

Why? Why not change? I'm not saying I don't necessarily agree with you, but I want to know what people like about the system and what people don't. :)

Weather is definitely an issue, excellent point, Bostic. Not sure how they'd remedy that. There's got to be some kind of way to fix that issue, as well... But now we're getting really in depth with changes.

Not playing 162 games is a possibility as well. But then people will say things like records won't ever be broken due to less games. What do you do there?

The solution is don't change a thing.

This was the first postponed WS game, ever.

But there are OFTEN WS games played in bad conditions, even if its just COLD as HELL. An earlier WS is optimal, but they can't start the season earlier; April games in Philly usually suck now -- can't make them earlier. I dont' know what to do.

MLB Needs to fix the postseason schedule. That's the issue. WAY too many off days. Next years regular season ends on 10/4.

Using this year as a model, that means that the LCS' won't start until October 15th or 16th! For a reference point, 10/15/88 was the Kirk Gibson walk off home run game. Game one of the 1988 World Series.

A series that starts on the 16th, with the off days (including the stupid one between games 4 & 5 which has to be removed ASAP), would reach game seven on October 25th!

And now that FOX wants the World Series to start on Wednesday for ratings purposes, game one of the World Series will be 10/28/09. If it goes seven games, we're looking at November 5th, 2009.

MLB better hope that it's an Anaheim/Florida world series next year.....

Stop the games for lightning, play the game in rain or snow. The conditions are the same for both teams.

You can play in the rain, and they did. The question is if the ground becomes too slippery do you want the game to become a fiasco as in the later innings play would be dominated by errors caused entirely by unplayable field conditions. Do you want the World Series to be decided by some clowns on a slip-n-slide.

I don't care personally, but I'm not sure it's baseball any longer.

You can play in the rain, and they did. The question is if the ground becomes too slippery do you want the game to become a fiasco as in the later innings play would be dominated by errors caused entirely by unplayable field conditions. Do you want the World Series to be decided by some clowns on a slip-n-slide.

Well, since you put it that way...

:yes:

The fixes are very simple but MLB will never adopt them.

First the idea of some double headers sound good to all baseball fans, but it reduces TV revenue and gate revenue. Someone could come up with an idea to sell double header game day tickets at a higher price, then have the price reduced to a single game ticket after the first game is played, but remember this is baseball, where game balls need to be rubbed in "official MLB mud" (from New Jersey) before being used.

It would also make sense to schedule double headers in stadiums with roofs or "good weather" all year round like Arizona so a cancelation would not casue havoc. But Remember, this is an organization run by a group of men who thinks Bud Selig is a good leader.

They could also reduce playoff time. If a team can paly at home one day then travel across country the next day and play in the regular season, why can't it happen in the post season? After the regular season is done, give every team 1 day off then start all series on the same day. No other "travel" days until you win your series and go on to the next one.

With all these moves, baseball could take at least 1 month off their schedule and have the WS done by no later than October 20th. But again we are talking about baseball here, the same organization that will not start it's "half game tonight" until 8pm to bow to their TV obligations of the network showing all the commerical time it already sold.

Proves my point that baseball is played by a bunch of *******!! Football would have never done that unless lightning occured and the safety of everyone involved was at risk.

It's why I don't like baseball and don't watch baseball or even go to games

The safety of everyone was at risk. Especially considering how hard a few of those guys throw.

I say keep the same rules for regular season and playoffs. There is no reason why a game in June can be official after 5 innings but a game in October can't. You should never play under different sets of rules (regular season to post-season).

I could not disagree more. There is no validity to ending a world series game (or playoff game) early because of weather. It is different in the postseason: more umpires is an example.

I say keep the same rules for regular season and playoffs. There is no reason why a game in June can be official after 5 innings but a game in October can't. You should never play under different sets of rules (regular season to post-season).

Can you end a playoff football game in a tie? Thought not.

Archived