Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to Fix Baseball's "Late Season Weather Issues"

KDawg

I say keep the same rules for regular season and playoffs. There is no reason why a game in June can be official after 5 innings but a game in October can't. You should never play under different sets of rules (regular season to post-season).
I could not disagree more. There is no validity to ending a world series game (or playoff game) early because of weather. It is different in the postseason: more umpires is an example.

Yep. If the Phillies were awarded the world title last night after a rained out game the media would have gone ballistic.....

Yep. If the Phillies were awarded the world title last night after a rained out game the media would have gone ballistic.....

Chase Utley even said it would have been a bogus WS. Nobody in Philly wants to win like that. I'd rather lose than win the final game if it was shortened by rain.

I could not disagree more. There is no validity to ending a world series game (or playoff game) early because of weather. It is different in the postseason: more umpires is an example.

Again, I disagree. Why is it any different? Rules are rules and this is an arbitrary changing of the rules for one reason...TV drama. MLB didn't want to crown a champion after a 2 hour rain delay. They want on-the-field celebrations and drama. That's fine, but it is not consistent.

Humor me...imagine if TB had not scored in the top of the 6th inning and MLB decided to suspend the game in the bottom of the 6th with Philly leading 2-1. They play tonight, TB comes back to win, and then wins the next two at home. Wouldn't you feel screwed if you were Philly? You won the championship fair and square by the rules that define your sport, but because this current commish decided that he wants every game to go 9+ innings, he changed the rules mid-stream, and you lose.

Can you end a playoff football game in a tie? Thought not.

Ridiculous point. Of course you need to name a winner in a playoff game. The difference is that baseball does not allow ties in the regular season. However, to me, this would be the equivalent of having a completely different overtime format in the NFL playoffs.

I tried to consolidate my reply, but this was posted as I was responding...

My issue is that they essentially changed the rule to cater to TV and the media.

Why don't they make this rule universal for all games (regular season and post-season)? If they did that, I'd be OK with it.

I just don't believe in playing under different sets of rules just because it's a playoff game. Does anything change in the NBA playoffs? What about the NFL playoffs (save for disallowing ties)?

This is just another example of MLB trying to change too much.

Again, I disagree. Why is it any different? Rules are rules and this is an arbitrary changing of the rules for one reason...TV drama. MLB didn't want to crown a champion after a 2 hour rain delay. They want on-the-field celebrations and drama. That's fine, but it is not consistent.

Humor me...imagine if TB had not scored in the top of the 6th inning and MLB decided to suspend the game in the bottom of the 6th with Philly leading 2-1. They play tonight, TB comes back to win, and then wins the next two at home. Wouldn't you feel screwed if you were Philly? You won the championship fair and square by the rules that define your sport, but because this current commish decided that he wants every game to go 9+ innings, he changed the rules mid-stream, and you lose.

If the scenario you described had happened, I would not feel screwed at all. There was an agreement on Saturday between the commish and the 2 teams that any games would be played 9 innings, no less, regardless of weather or how long it would take. That was agreed to -- and the commish has the authority to do that.

I tried to consolidate my reply, but this was posted as I was responding...

My issue is that they essentially changed the rule to cater to TV and the media.

Why don't they make this rule universal for all games (regular season and post-season)? If they did that, I'd be OK with it.

I just don't believe in playing under different sets of rules just because it's a playoff game. Does anything change in the NBA playoffs? What about the NFL playoffs (save for disallowing ties)?

This is just another example of MLB trying to change too much.

The NFL has longer halftimes in the playoffs. This is a huge difference. Halftime is longer for media purposes. So its not just baseball. And why does the super bowl start at 6:30 pm, when NO OTHER game all year starts at that time?

As an aside..the NHL has different overtime formats in the playoffs. Rather than going to a shootout after the first OT period (like they do in the regular season), they play multiple OT's in the playoffs.

To me, this whole issue isn't an issue. 1 postponed WS game in the 100+ year length of MLB.

But the series is starting later and later in the year now. I say get rid of the all-star break and start the series the end of September.

If the scenario you described had happened, I would not feel screwed at all. There was an agreement on Saturday between the commish and the 2 teams that any games would be played 9 innings, no less, regardless of weather or how long it would take. That was agreed to -- and the commish has the authority to do that.

I still disagree with the arbitrary rule change. Why not use instant reply on plays at the plate or tag-outs then?

I still disagree with the arbitrary rule change. Why not use instant reply on plays at the plate or tag-outs then?

I'm for doing whatever it takes to get the call right.

You can't tell me that you think allowing the deciding game of a WS to be called because of rain is doing what is best for the sport. Philly doesn't want that asterik, dude.

How about this:

To get the WS started in September (when the weather is typically much better - no guarantees though), start the season in mid-March, and play the first month of the regular season at spring training sites. Nobody goes to early season games anyway, except for home openers.

It's just baseball, what's the big deal? :)
Press the 'Delete' key on the sport?
Proves my point that baseball is played by a bunch of *******!! Football would have never done that unless lightning occured and the safety of everyone involved was at risk.

It's why I don't like baseball and don't watch baseball or even go to games

Stop being ******* and play in rain. Or, better yet, just stop playing baseball all together. :)
Abolish major league baseball and replace it with a manlier, more team oriented sport that actually plays in bad weather?

I usually try to ignore posts like these, but why did you clowns even look at this thread?

Oooh, baseball stinks, BURN!!!!!!! I showed everyone......

Just saw that tonights game is already postponed.

They're going to try to play tomorrow (night).

Dont' know if there will be a travel day Thursday should the Rays win......

Yep, they are going to try on Wednesday night. There is a lot of rain, sleet, and snow around here today. No way they can play tonight. Wed. night could be iffy too.

Yep, they are going to try on Wednesday night. There is a lot of rain, sleet, and snow around here today. No way they can play tonight. Wed. night could be iffy too.

Friday is a better day for the parade anyway. This works out well for the Phillies. A Friday parade on Broad Street! WOOO HOOO

I'm for doing whatever it takes to get the call right.

You can't tell me that you think allowing the deciding game of a WS to be called because of rain is doing what is best for the sport. Philly doesn't want that asterik, dude.

I'm not against instant replay or playing full games...I'm just against assigning different rules to the regular season and post-season. I've been pretty clear about that.

Can anyone give me a good reason why post-season games should be played by different rules?

To your point, why would it be OK to win a handful of weather-shortened regular season games, but not in the post-season? I'm not married to one way or the other, I just want it to be consistent.

They can't figure out who is best after 100 games? Why so many games? Seriously. Start the season later, end it sooner. You might even see an increase in interest because you're not sharing the season with basketball or football.

Archived