Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to Fix Baseball's "Late Season Weather Issues"

KDawg

They can't figure out who is best after 100 games? Why so many games? Seriously. Start the season later, end it sooner. You might even see an increase in interest because you're not sharing the season with basketball or football.

you know, you might be on to something with that last line.

They can't figure out who is best after 100 games? Why so many games? Seriously. Start the season later, end it sooner. You might even see an increase in interest because you're not sharing the season with basketball or football.

Completely agree. Once July hits, baseball is so boring until September. Cutting a significant number of games would be nice.

Nice try, but baseball, more than any other sports, is about tradition. 162 games = a season. I know, they bumped it from 154 a number of years ago, but losing a bunch of games 1) kills historical stats and 2) what owner wants to lose home game revenue for like 30 games? Never happen.

NBA & Hockey are boring in the regular season too. And I LOVE hockey. I like Hoops too, but the Knicks blow so bad I can't watch them......

True, but the nature of the sport (contact) requires that they play less frequently than baseball players. You could play 100 baseball games in 4 months (with each team still getting more than one day per week off), instead of the 6+ months it takes to complete the current schedule.

I'd be all for basketball condensing its schedule (and the playoffs) as well. That's one sport that seems to take just as long to get through the playoffs as it does to complete the regular season.

it's warm in the spring.

play 3 games, then top 2 to the world series...best of 1, over in april. bada boom bada bing.

You die. You die and you go to hell.

People watch basketball?

Nice try, but baseball, more than any other sports, is about tradition. 162 games = a season. I know, they bumped it from 154 a number of years ago, but losing a bunch of games 1) kills historical stats and 2) what owner wants to lose home game revenue for like 30 games? Never happen.

I agree it won't happen...but it should.

Go back to 142 games, re institute the 5 double headers they used to play. Season over 2 months earlier. The WS should be played in September, the second half of it. April 1-Sep 1 should be the reg season.

WC (Best of 5):

Game 1 - 9/3

Game 2 - 9/4

Game 3 - 9/6

Game 4 - 9/7

Game 5 - 9/8 (No travel day for the final game)

Division Round (Best of 7; 2-2-1-1-1 format - this 2-3-2 gives the away team a HUGE advantage if they split games 1 & 2):

Game 1 - 9/10

Game 2 - 9/11

Game 3 - 9/13

Game 4 - 9/14

Game 5 - 9/16

Game 6 - 9/18

Game 7 - 9/20

World Series:

Game 1 - 9/22

Game 2 - 9/23

Game 3 - 9/25

Game 4 - 9/26

Game 5 - 9/28

Game 6 - 9/30

Game 7 - 10/2

Screw the whole NFL/MLB conflict. Nowadays, we have a remote control that has a last button so we can flip. Only the home teams fans will miss that option.

But then we don't have October baseball. Thus, no Mr October.

Wow, the first time in the history of baseball a playoff game has been postponed and everyone is going tits up . . .

First time due to rain. It was suspended for 10 days in '89 due to the earthquake.

Baseball/MLB will be 8-10 teams tops, within 10 years. I feel so fortunate that I will see an end to the prominence of this non-sport within my lifetime.

Oh, and my solution to the "Late Season Weather Issues"? Some combination of the College World Series and the latin winter leagues should satisfy the masses. Or at least the 20,000 people in the world that will still be able to get baseball on TV in 2015.

Baseball/MLB will be 8-10 teams tops, within 10 years. I feel so fortunate that I will see an end to the prominence of this non-sport within my lifetime.

Oh, and my solution to the "Late Season Weather Issues"? Some combination of the College World Series and the latin winter leagues should satisfy the masses. Or at least the 20,000 people in the world that will still be able to get baseball on TV in 2015.

lol, sorry to burst your bubble, but baseball's popularity has been growing the past few years. Especially given the fact that smaller market teams like Tampa Bay and Colorado can get to the playoffs.

lol, sorry to burst your bubble, but baseball's popularity has been growing the past few years. Especially given the fact that smaller market teams like Tampa Bay and Colorado can get to the playoffs.

Keep working on your fastball and learn spanish. And, MLB TV ratings are at an all-time low. Look it up.

Hope someone remembers to bump this in 10 years. ABSOLUTELY NO WAY this happens. Hell, the NHL hasn't even contracted one single team yet and you think MLB will get rid of 20+ in under 10 years? You loco, homeboy.

I don't see why everyone is making such a big deal of this. If the game gets rained out, play it another day. There are plenty of gaps in the World Series schedule to make up a game. If the game gets rained out after five innings and it's a tie game, suspend it like they do in the regular season and play it the next available time.

It's not rocket science. Just do it like they do in the regular season.

Archived