Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

another jon jansen thread (and merged too--x5 now--MET)

shakinaiken

In the game chat, there were people blaming Jansen for that one blitz which was not his fault (he wasnt even near the play.) I'm getting tired of people OVERstating what might be a somewhat reasonable argument.

But even Siragusa pointed out our success running behind Jansen. We've been WINNING BY RUNNING and by protecting well enough overall.

You are kidding right? What about the play where L. Little ran around Jansen like he wasn't even there and sacked Campbell? There were others that resulted in pressures at least but that's just off the top of my head.

Jansen is still a beast in the running game. However he just doesn't have the footspeed to pass protect as an OT anymore. Either he moves to OG this offseason or he's a post June 1 cut.

You are kidding right? What about the play where L. Little ran around Jansen like he wasn't even there and sacked Campbell? There were others that resulted in pressures at least but that's just off the top of my head.

Jansen is still a beast in the running game. However he just doesn't have the footspeed to pass protect as an OT anymore. Either he moves to OG this offseason or he's a post June 1 cut.

While I'd generally agree with you, my point is about people overstating it. The problem also is that he is not the reason we didn't throw deep or take advantage of their 3 healthy corners on the roster secondary (after one guy got hurt.) Jansen did get beat a few times. The pure speed guys like Little give him problems. I've seen Samuels get beat a few times like that too. The problem is, that was not Campbell's blind side. He should have throw the ball and avoided that one Little sack.

Plus, if we can't run to teh right side anymore, that's going to really limit us offensively. I'm not saying Heyer can't runblock but it's not as if heyer lit it up in pass pro vs. the Giants or made no other mistakes. If Portis' output goes from 150 yards to 50, you'll forgive the pass pro breakdowns.

Jansen is a decent run blocker and a very good short yardage run blocker. His pass protection has really dropped off and he is very vulnerable to a speed rush off the edge. It's not like he's at the point in his career where he is going to get faster, but Heyer is at the point in his career where he is going to get stronger.

As soon as Heyer is healthy I expect that he get back his starting job. They just give up too much in pass protection with Jansen in there and that is more important for Zorn.

ps...now that there is some film available of Jansen playing this year I expect that teams will be looking to exploit his reduced mobility in coming games if he is still playing.

why does everyone think hes incredible in the run game? he might be better than heyer...might be

The yards per run on the right side are dramatically better since Jansen came in at RT. I don't have the stats handy but it's obvious watching the games. They probably jumped from 2ypc to 5ypc with Jansen in the game. He helps in all the running plays. Unfortunately, while he did fairly well in pass protection against the Cowboys and Eagles he didn't do well today. I don't think Jansen will be out on the street next year. He potentially could play Guard as that position requires less athletic ability.

Here's the problem with having Jansen as a better run blocker vs. Heyer as a better pass protector. A failed run rarely looses you more than a couple or three yards. However a sack looses 6-10 yards, potentially results in a fumble, possibly gets your QB hurt, and can change the complexion of your offensive gameplan. For an example of the latter, just look at today's game again. If we had Heyer in the game I'm sure we'd have done more to exploit their depleted CB corps.

Jansen's still a good run blocker -- but he isn't even a mediocre pass blocker anymore. Watch the tape -- he gets pushed back or beaten at least half of the time. There's a reason we don't go deep a lot. It's the same reason Zorn has been itching for Heyer to get healthy. He simply doesn't trust Jansen to do his job.

Jansen's still a good run blocker -- but he isn't even a mediocre pass blocker anymore. Watch the tape -- he gets pushed back or beaten at least half of the time. There's a reason we don't go deep a lot. It's the same reason Zorn has been itching for Heyer to get healthy. He simply doesn't trust Jansen to do his job.

That's another thing I like about Zorn he is NOT torn by loyalty to any player.He will put the best guy in for the job in and I for one apperciate it.

I like Jansen but he is hurting the team and Heyer gives JC better pass protection.

If anyone watched the game today, Jon Jansen doesn't deserve to be the starter anymore. He stunk the whole game, especially in pass coverage. He was getting manhandled the whole game. I hope heyer gets healthy quickly to take over the spot.

Where was this "bench Jansen" talk after the Dallas and Philly games?

:logo:

Archived