Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

another jon jansen thread (and merged too--x5 now--MET)

shakinaiken

Ok here is the deal. I was at the game and saw much more clearly than I usually do on TV because you are able to keep focus on the play and particular players (like Jansen) for more than the 3 seconds the cameras have on him during the play.

He is absolutely a monster when it comes to running because he is able to use his body and weight in motion to block. How many times did we run right? TONS. Portis was able to get CHUNKS of yards while running stretch plays around Jansen. I'm talking 8 + yards a pop especially in the fourth quarter.

But the problem is during pass blocking. It's obvious his injury and age has greatly diminished his bull rush. Just simply holding defenders back at a stand still has become very difficult for him. I watched play after play when Jansen gets pushed back immediately as the ball is snaped. If you take a look at the game again, you will see the pocket collapsing WAY too fast (on Jansen's side) and Cambell's timing is off even on quick slants because of it.

The is THE main reason why Zorn was not able to call multiple deep balls because he was afraid his QB would get his head knocked off from a blitz from that side.

The coaches see it, the players see it, and the fans see it. We HAVE to get Heyer healthy to have a chance.

:logo:

I guess that you are new here.

Just FYI...you have just repeated something that a thousand people here have said a thousand times over.

However...welcome.:cheers:

Leonard Little is a fantastic speed rushing DE, and pretty much the worst matchup possible for a guy like Jansen.

JJ may still be able to get the leverage in the running game, but elite speed rushers are just too fast and strong and he has to roll them outside. That leads to blitzes as there is often a RG/RT gap for a LB or corner to shoot inside.

After two very solid starts, Jansen was pretty mediocre in the passing game. He had a tough draw and just didn't get it done. Though I think Skins fans are putting too much of the blame on Jansen for the O line's problems. Samuels and Rabach were giving up pressure often as well.

At this point, we have to pick our poison:

Heyer: Better pass blocker, Avg Run Blocker, youth

Jansen: Better run blocker, medicore(deteriorating) pass blocker, but does have "experience"

So essentially. from everyones standpoint:

Better run blocker = Better run gaming

Better pass blocker = Better pass protection

Bad run blocker = Less to no yards per carry.

Bad pass blocker = Hit on QB, QB pressure, Sacks, fumble

At least from this viewpoint, I'll take the player with the average run blocking cause if we wanted to run, we could go the other direction. Unfortunately, pressure is pressure which makes going with player with less pass protection skills very risky.

I think it is more important to keep JC healthy this year. I'd go with Heyer, mixing Jansen in enough so his presence is not a dead giveaway of a run.

I totally disagree.

If a player is unable to perform, then he should not play. He should either sit the bench or be cut. You can call it being "thrown under the bus" if you want to, but this is all about putting the best player on the field and winning football games...not being nice to a player.

It's more about respect, not a matter of cutting him or not. Which wouldn't even make sense.

Man someone here either has'nt been reading the threads, or didn't use search. There has been talk about jansen the last two weeks. He's done okay if you ask me. I think the one screw up he had might have been a protection failure that wasn't entirely his fault.

Archived