Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Cooley wants to play in England

The Fourth King

COOLEY WANTS TO PLAY IN ENGLAND

Posted by Mike Florio on October 3, 2008, 6:02 p.m. EDT

A PFT reader in the U.K. tells us that Redskins tight end Chris Cooley wants to see his team play a game in London.

“Redskins fans would definitely be disappointed in losing a home game so I guess if it was an away game for us I would love it,” Cooley told BBC Sport.

“It would be great if we could come and spend a week there — even though we’re so busy it would be such a good experience for us. And it’s cool to see how our game affects people outside America.”

If/when Cooley gets his wish, we predict he’ll spend most of the week trying to figure out why everyone is calling him “Monty.”

And, yeah, we wrote this story for the sole purpose of using that line.

-------------------------

Would you guys be down for an England game?

link: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/03/cooley-wants-to-play-in-england/

Obviously not something that could happen this season.

I know the NFL is trying to expand its market, but I'm not really interested in playing games internationally. You get a fairly sloppy game from two jet-lagged teams in front of a crowd that really isn't sure what's going on.

Split on this.

As I'm currently in England, though won't be if or when the 'Skins get a game here, I guess, given, as TK alluded to, the vast army of 'Skins fans over here, it'd be a fantastic experience for one and all. And make NO mistake, International games are here to stay. The money the NFL made out of London last year confirmed that. They'll be more in London, probably Germany too in the coming years.

But as much as I'm all for the League expanding the game World wide, and the best way to do that is put out the full product, rather than exhibition games, I sway on the side I'd personally rather not have my team travel lock stock, on a shortened work week, overseas to suit the mighty $.

I see the pro's and con's to both sides of this, but as I said above, regardless of how anyone feels, overseas regular season games are here to stay. This is just the beginning. There's even muted talk from the league of taking the Super Bowl oversea's at some point, but that's a whole other can of worms.....

Hail.

According to my cousin, Football is getting huge in England. I wouldn't mind it expanding. It just means that more people get exposed to it and that other talented kids can learn the game. The NBA has become a better league because these foreigners are showing Americans how to play BBall the right way.

Hell no, Football is America's sport and should stay in America

I remember hearing about Goodell maybe getting a Super bowl in London, that would be the worst thing he could ever do

Plus last years game, the field condition was horrible, the entire environment was dead, they didnt know when to cheer, or who to cheer for. On a play as trivial as a first down run, which would get a lot of cheers at Fedex, they kept quiet. They only cheered on big plays or TDs

Archived