Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Cooley wants to play in England

The Fourth King

Gibbs Hog Heaven. Why are there so many Skins fans in England?

Goe's back to the '80's, when the broadcast's started in UK. The first televised Super Bowl was the '84 Raiders loss when that great '83 team sadly fell one game short. Miami, the '9ers, Dallas to an extent, (that DARN Star again), and the Redskins stuck and drew the biggest fan support, which still stands today. The game went a little "cultish", bit like trying to foist soccer on the States, but that loyal band stayed, and now it's getting a rebirth of sorts with more exposure and a whole new generation of fans.

One more reason to thank a man named Gibbs. :notworthy

Hail.

Yes, if

1.) It was an away game for us

2.) It preceded our bye week, giving us plenty of time to recover for the following game.

3.) Even better if a Thursday night game preceded it, giving us extra time before AND after to prepare and recover and get adjusted

But the chances of that happening...absolutely silly.

As much as I wouldn't want the team burdened with the travel, etc., midseason how can you really condemn the idea when we have such a solid contingent of fans here from the UK? They deserve a shot at seeing them too.

there are like 10 on the board, dude. and you answered your own question as to why one could condemn the idea.

Being in Europe, It would be awesome to attend a Redskins game, but I'm not sure about playing regular season games outside America. I wouldn't mind a pre-season game though. I'd rather wait to get the opportunity to come to DC and make it to FedEX, tailgating with skins fans,....that's the real deal!

Ya, look what it did to the giants last year :doh:

Just because the giants won the superbowl doesn't mean that the trip didn't have adverse effects on them. You have a brain, so try to use it. Any unnecessary trips that could potentially fatigue the team are pointless. Football is tiring enough without trans-atlantic flights and time zone adjustments.

there are like 10 on the board, dude. and you answered your own question as to why one could condemn the idea.

I am pretty sure there are more than 10 of us . The Redskins despite the years of mediocity the lack of media love ( Thank you Mr Carlson) are still one of the top franchises in the UK . There have been a whole bunch of New England fans pop up thanks to their success, and last years Wembley game generated new Giants and Dolphins fans .

I was scratching my head when they announced the most recent game would be the Saints Vs the Chargers, because neither of those teams have an inbuilt support over here . I do not think I have EVER met an English Saints fan and I have seen about 3 Gates Jerseys and yet that game is almost sold out with 79,000+ fans buying tickets ( how many american fans went to Texas stadium last week 67,000?) at prices even the most diehard American fan would choke on .

Last year a friend of mine bout the basic entry tickets no where special and they set him back over £140 for 2 tickets which was about $280 and then he had to buy drinks going over $10 and had to travel from Manchester .

If the Skins came over it would be a sea of B&G if it was an away game .

People ***** and whine about the travel but the distance is comparable to a game in San Fransico or Seattle but no one complains about playing them .

I am pretty sure there are more than 10 of us . The Redskins despite the years of mediocity the lack of media love ( Thank you Mr CARLSON) are still one of the top franchises in the UK .

*Mike Carlson, dude from Connecticut, self appointed guru of football in the UK, some time good analyst, more time jackass, and rival to Cowturd in the hater stakes this side of the pond. There's constructive criticism where's it's due, but Carlson's stuck on Snyder's early days and uses that as a point of reference to form any opinion he pretty much has. If this run continues, it will only be grudging respect we'll get from him. Man do I NOT like that guy.

Hail.

Maj..<tsk,tsk>... you can do better than that.

There is a very large Skins fanbase in the UK and a game there would be a valuable element in addressing the lack of attention and respect the Skins get in the media. Don't act like there is no upside to this. It would be hard to ignore it if Wembley was a sea of B&G the way Canton was.

I do agree with comments that I have seen stating that teams should only go in conjunction with their bye week though.

Goe's back to the '80's, when the broadcast's started in UK. The first televised Super Bowl was the '84 Raiders loss when that great '83 team sadly fell one game short. Miami, the '9ers, Dallas to an extent, (that DARN Star again), and the Redskins stuck and drew the biggest fan support, which still stands today. The game went a little "cultish", bit like trying to foist soccer on the States, but that loyal band stayed, and now it's getting a rebirth of sorts with more exposure and a whole new generation of fans.

One more reason to thank a man named Gibbs. :notworthy

Hail.

I am sure the coverage started on Channel 4 the season before when we beat the Dolphins in the Superbowl. That's what got me following the NFL and the Redskins.

Was it '83? I kept looking at that after i posted and trying to think back. I know i got the bug in '83, just the main memory that stuck was being real hurt after waiting up through the Raiders game. (Well, more sneaking downstairs after everyone else was had gone to bed and being dog tired and REAL pissed the next day in school, but ya' know, had to be done.).

Apologies for getting 1 year ahead of myself. My bad, those 25 years have blurred my memory.

Hail.

Obviously not something that could happen this season.

I know the NFL is trying to expand its market, but I'm not really interested in playing games internationally. You get a fairly sloppy game from two jet-lagged teams in front of a crowd that really isn't sure what's going on.

oh please, enough with the cliches. There are many thousands of fans of NFL in the UK, most of whom have been fans for a long time. I'm sure some "curious" people turned out for the first NFL game over here as a spectacle, but that's to be expected. I've been a fan since the 1982 team. The majority of fans who will turn out for the UK games will know exactly what's going on, and PLEASE, let's stop pretending it's oh so complicated. 4 downs, 10 yards, forward passes, jesus, we're not an island of retards as you may think. I don't see how jet lag is a serious issue, it's a similar flight from the East Coast to the UK as it is to fly over to the West Coast. These guys are used to getting on planes every week and crossing time zones.

I understand you guys don't want to lose any home games, maybe the season will get expanded to 17 games one day to allow an away day for every team, but if the NFL wants to continue to generate worldwide interest and potential revenue and development, then it's credit to them they are willing to sacrifice the somewhat selfish views of the home fans now and then,

Personally, I would LOVE if "soccer" developed enough over there that the big teams from here would play in the US. What would happen is instead of all the whining, the die hard fans would actually fly over there for a holiday and see the game anyway, and enjoy it on TV and being marketed over there, if they thought it was expanding the game. I certainly would anyway.

an East Coast flight to the UK wouldn't cost you that much. If it bugs you that much, let me know, you can crash at mine for free lodgings. YOu might even enjoy yourself if you get across your borders once in a while :-)

. The majority of fans who will turn out for the UK games will know exactly what's going on, and PLEASE, let's stop pretending it's oh so complicated. 4 downs, 10 yards, forward passes, jesus, we're not an island of retards as you may think.

That made me laugh, thanks

You would take football away from the rest of the world? Those poor, lost souls?

I'm in Austria...

The one thing that Europe needs now IS football(American football)!

They got soccer going on here EVERYDAY in Europe.I would think they would welcome a new unfamiliar sport.I wear my Redskins stuff here everyday but nobody knows what a Redskin is.:doh:

Archived