Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whatever happend to (ES Poster)??

WVUforREDSKINS

I have nothing against that site; I even have an account there I used maybe five times. But posting there makes you 30 percent duller. I don't really understand it. Even Sarge is boring there.

I lurked on there, but never find time to actually sign up. I agree with you about the 30 percent duller over there.

I have nothing against that site; I even have an account there I used maybe five times. But posting there makes you 30 percent duller. I don't really understand it. Even Sarge is boring there.

Overall, it's cool there but I swore off the politics/non-football forums. IMO they suffered from a severe prevalence of a single viewpoint and I think without the back and forth of both sides it was a lot like the Faux News echo chamber. That said, I think their Skins forum is better than ES (no offense) because they have a lot fewer posters and the fact that they're pretty bright folks helps a lot too. Not that many of the folks around here aren't bright. :paranoid:

I like the games over there on the site, but I don't post much because there usually isn't alot of people in the forum at any one time. I don't care for how the pages download. One member who is one of the founders is hell bent on owning every high score in the game section. More power to ya bud.

Overall, it's cool there but I swore off the politics/non-football forums. IMO they suffered from a severe prevalence of a single viewpoint and I think without the back and forth of both sides it was a lot like the Faux News echo chamber. That said, I think their Skins forum is better than ES (no offense) because they have a lot fewer posters and the fact that they're pretty bright folks helps a lot too. Not that many of the folks around here aren't bright. :paranoid:

On a related note, yesterday I had another member who shares time with another 'skins forum, discuss via PM how things had got "way lefty" here (tailgate--and no mod bias accusations, just about posters) and they had quit participating (though he expressed the thought it was "getting better" in here again). I pointed out that the other forum he had become "fine with" in political discussions was reliably reported by a few folks (and as I had also seen in the few visits I made over the last few years) as having been a dominantly “righty” echo chamber for some time. I also mentioned that many who have voiced distaste for a proliferation of one bias are (of course) just fine when it's their "side" that owns the noise level. :)

I do understand that with the much larger traffic we have here than many other Redskins sites, there is more "white noise" as some of us call it (particularly in the stadium), and just more posts to "wade" through, but I think there are counterpoints--like also having that many more "smart" football posters, including all the great newer guys, or ones that were here but have really developed into more prolific and informative posters the last 2-3 years especially.

That said....

I think it's best to avoid extended critiques of other Redskins sites or the people who post there, especially in such specific manner (i.e. naming names as opposed to more generalized ways when it fits the topic). Just not seeing a real upside if it continues---also given past experience including what I and others have observed on sites where the same has occurred. ;)

Many do have such conversation in PMs or elsewhere, more than in open threads, and I know why it can be of interest to compare views on such, so don't get me wrong. But let's move on.

I'll add I know there so many ES'ers who love this place (not considering those ejected from ES via rule violations or whom left over personality conflicts) and are very grateful that so many others of their fellows also still find this an important and worthwhile place to be.

I can guarantee you that having such a large and significant body of supporters, many of such quality participation as we are fortunate to receive, really does mean a lot to all ES staff. :helmet:

I think it's best to avoid extended critiques of other Redskins sites or the people who post there, especially in such specific manner (i.e. naming names as opposed to more generalized ways when it fits the topic). Just not seeing a real upside if it continues---also given past experience including what I and others have observed on sites where the same has occurred. ;)

No problem on that. That's boring talk anyway. Unless you are me and can make any topic interesting.

No problem on that. That's boring talk anyway. Unless you are me and can make any topic interesting.

That, or I can do an early dump of all the juicy material (skeletons galore for most all concerned) I've been saving from e-mail and PM since I joined the staff on "inside ES staff, members, and the site, past and present." TK knows a lot of what I have saved. :)

I have been planning on holding it back until I retire and write my tell-all blog (assuming I ever learn how to make a blog).

On a related note, yesterday I had another member who shares time with another 'skins forum, discuss via PM how things had got "way lefty" here (tailgate--and no mod bias accusations, just about posters) and they had quit participating (though he expressed the thought it was "getting better" in here again). I pointed out that the other forum he had become "fine with" in political discussions was reliably reported by a few folks (and as I had also seen in the few visits I made over the last few years) as having been a dominantly “righty” echo chamber for some time. I also mentioned that many who have voiced distaste for a proliferation of one bias are (of course) just fine when it's their "side" that owns the noise level. :)

I do understand that with the much larger traffic we have here than many other Redskins sites, there is more "white noise" as some of us call it (particularly in the stadium), and just more posts to "wade" through, but I think there are counterpoints--like also having that many more "smart" football posters, including all the great newer guys, or ones that were here but have really developed into more prolific and informative posters the last 2-3 years especially.

I suspect since the America **** Yeah! attitude of post-9/11 has mostly died down, people have come to their senses again and embraced other ideals other than hunting down them furrriners and killing them. Plus, with the mod-hammering of some of the known bigots, it probably does look a little more left on this board. How can it not?

Plus, with the mod-hammering of some of the known bigots, it probably does look a little more left on this board. How can it not?

To be fair, there's been a few bigots on the left that no longer post here as well.

I think some even got their exit tickets fairly recently.

To be fair, there's been a few bigots on the left that no longer post here as well.

Yes there are, however, the loudest voices of the old days from this board were predominantly extremely to the right (or at least they appeared to me that way).

:evilg:

I don't think people ever got booted for their views.

They got booted because they wouldn't follow the rules, because they were hostile and rude, because they wouldn't stop mouthing off to the mods and so on. Moreover, when they were warned, they wouldn't stop, but doubled down. That kind of clueless behavior runs the gamut from Chomerics on the left to Nelms on the right, and has nothing to do with political persuasion.

Anyone who claims that they got the heave for having the wrong political views is kidding themselves, and almost surely is blind to the obnoxious behavior that really got them in trouble.

I don't think people ever got booted for their views.

They got booted because they wouldn't follow the rules, because they were hostile and rude, because they wouldn't stop mouthing off to the mods and so on. Moreover, when they were warned, they wouldn't stop, but doubled down. That kind of clueless behavior runs the gamut from Chomerics on the left to Nelms on the right, and has nothing to do with political persuasion.

Anyone who claims that they got the heave for having the wrong political views is kidding themselves, and almost surely is blind to the obnoxious behavior that really got them in trouble.

Keep posting like that & I'll make you a Mod. :)

It's true, though some big-profile lefty problem-children were sent packing years ago. cavalierman and crazyhorse1 are two prominent examples. We also have one well-known libertarian and one well known independent conspiracy nut to add to the demographics of the departed (but I did undo the ban on the conspiracy guy).

But I have a new fun story about human behavior and these matters coming up (if I decide to do it).

(love the choice of video clip, P)

Ooh, do tell! :munchout:

Btw do you ever answer your phone anymore?

Damn! I told Rick that was probably you--I will get back to you. Tomorrow around noon?

For now, I decided to hold off on the post (it's written) as fun as it may be for some. But I'll share one part from it I know you'd like (hell, you'd love the whole story and you'll get it even if I don't post it).

But here's the part (refers to a msg I received about the subject's latest brainstrain about ES/me) and I'll underline the line where I was thinking of you when I wrote it:

This features one of the members of the Perpetually Clueless and Eternally Butthurt Club of The Perma-Banned, remaining dedicated to giving me, other mods, and ES free space in their head years after the fact. This is a guy who seems (always has seemed) needier of attention than most leaders of North Korea and is apparently on about 37 “social sites.”
:D :evilg: :ols:

Hmm, who could that be? :)

In meetings until 3 pm eastern, how about 2pm your time

I'm going to be buying a new assault (tactical) shotgun on sale (being apparently a lefty-biased but multi-gun-toting knife-loving reaver) in the bordering state and seeing an old buddy (ex-Vietnam vet with lots of bang bangs) right around that time but I think that will work. If it sounds like I'm in a firefight, it may be the case.:)

Me too. (just in what I've experienced there, at BGO), if one even remotely supports the POTUS, the ACA, etc., you're red meat to be eaten. (Some of the recipes in the "What's for Dinner" thread may include me as an ingredient).:evilg:

it would be kinda cool for this forum to have a virtual iron fence, on which to hang the severed heads of the dearly departed.

a simple wall, with user name, number of posts, and date of "departure" would be a good start.... and perhaps a link to their last post on the site?

(someone contributing a witty one paragraph post-mortem eulogy would also be nice... but i realize that THIS is asking too much ;) )

I don't think it's a big deal where one resides on the internet football forums. For those who like it here, fine. For those who like it elsewhere, fine. I have a preference and it is certainly not a secret. I have friends in several Redskins forums (including here) and enjoy talking with them on a regular basis. I like it here and will stop by on occasion (mostly The Stadium) just to add a word or two to a discussion.

There are about six or seven Redskins forums that appeal to the masses and fans make choices on what they like/dislike. It has nothing to do with a forum competing against another forum. No one is forcing you to be a member of this forum, BGO, Warpath, TheHogs, ESPN, etc. Choose one (or more) that best suits you and enjoy the experience.

Archived