Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jlc -- Colt May Be Number Two On Saturday

Hooper

Well, this should drive the mancrushers crazy, even if it really means nothing.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Jim Zorn said he might rotate his quarterbacks differently Saturday than he did in the preseason opener. Starter Jason Campbell will again open the game with the first team, but rookie Colt Brennan might go in next instead of back-up Todd Collins.

Zorn wants to see Brennan operate in different aspects of the offense, considering that a few weeks from now Brennan will be banished to holding a clipboard for another year as he develops. "We may mix and match here as we go on," Zorn said.

Regardless, Collins and Brennan will be playing a lot again, with the starters out there for three series, tops.

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Edit: I think Zorn is doing this on purpose. Throwing Colt in after the 1st series against 1st and 2nd string competition will be a reality check for him. You have to knock them down before you build them up and mold them in your image.

When you think about it...last pre season Todd Collins jumped Brunell on the depth chart...

Granted, TC DID come in and play remarkably well down the stretch leading us into the playoffs...but how much of that was the "system" that was in place?

If Colt lights it up against 1st and 2nd teamers....things might get interresting...as far as our #2 spot goes...

Does it mean nothing? I wouldn't call myself a mancrusher and I find it intriguing, especially considering how abysmal TC has looked in camp and in the game last week.

CB hasn't looked better than TC in camp by any stretch of the imagination. TC had a solid performance when he played last week. He took less snaps so didn't have the opportunity to throw two touchdowns like CB did.

Its a good idea for the simple fact that it allows coaches to further evaluate CB. They already know what TC is all about.

Does it mean nothing? I wouldn't call myself a mancrusher and I find it intriguing, especially considering how abysmal TC has looked in camp and in the game last week.

I think Zorn understands the importance of having a vet QB as #2. He probably also saw Collins make better decisions than Brennan during the game, which will weigh heavily on his confidence at having Collins remain the #2 QB. Collins leapfrogged over Brunell last year because both were veteran QBs so it didn't really matter which one was behind JC.

Now, if Collins continues to look mediocre while Brennan continually improves, that's another story.

I hope Colt looks horrible against the second team. :doh:

Seriously though, as a Redskins' fan I hope that he has a good showing, but I can just imagine how many, "Colt should be our starter" or "QB Controversy" threads that will show up. Sheesh! I don't understand how people can be so excited over minor things that probably will have nothing to do with us playing in January. :doh: Be optimistic sure, but not ridiculous. There is a fine line.

this is not a big deal.....TC15 will be the back up in 2008 no matter what

a few reason why zorn is doing this:

1) zorn wants to see what colt can do with guys that will be here week one (cc47, sm89, are82, ect) and see how he adapts to the guys up front that will start week 1

2) he already knows what he is getting in TC15, who will be this teams back up NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS THIS YEAR

3) wants to see how colt does against guys that will be playing week 1 in buff on D, and have also game planned for him some what....

bottom line this is a MONSTER test for CB5.....

now the results in the stat sheet might not be as good, but i can bet 100% that zorn is not looking at the stats at all....

zorn will be looking at, and im sure in this order:

footwork

reads

delivery (not how, but WHEN)

handle the huddle

this is not a big deal.....TC15 will be the back up in 2008 no matter what

a few reason why zorn is doing this:

1) zorn wants to see what colt can do with guys that will be here week one (cc47, sm89, are82, ect) and see how he adapts to the guys up front that will start week 1

2) he already knows what he is getting in TC15, who will be this teams back up NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS THIS YEAR)

3) wants to see how colt does against guys that will be playing week 1 in buff on D, and have also game planned for him some what....

bottom line this is a MONSTER test for CB5.....

now the results in the stat sheet might not be as good, but i can bet 100% that zorn is not looking at the stats at all....

footwork

reads

delivery (not how, but WHEN)

handle the huddle

Yep...Spot-on iMO

I think Zorn is doing this on purpose. Throwing Colt in after the 1st series against 1st and 2nd string competition will be a reality check for him. You have to knock them down before you build them up and mold them in your image.

my thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't say he's going to be the number two on Saturday. It'd be more accurate to say Brennan to rotate with Collins.

It's not like he's competing for the #2 gig.

I wonder if part of this is Zorn wanting to see Brennan against better players and to, maybe, re-enforce the importance of mechanics.

I like Colt, a lot, but he has qualified his play with a "as long as it works" type of statement. I don't think Zorn would mind the results being not as impressive and a message being sent to Colt that he has to apply good technique in games.

(Incidentally, the outburst from this thread has been from the people fearing the outburst from the enthusiastic CB fans. Amusing.)

Edit: I think Zorn is doing this on purpose. Throwing Colt in after the 1st series against 1st and 2nd string competition will be a reality check for him. You have to knock them down before you build them up and mold them in your image.

Ding. :)

This is a win-win for Zorn.

If Colt does bad, it will motivate him to work harder.

If Colt does good, Zorn will pat himself on the back.

As some of us are.....I think Zorn is very curious how colt will do against guys that actually play in the NFL.

What if it backfires and he does great, though? lol...Gonna be a little harder to "knock him down" if he's tossing three TDs with his side-arm/frizbee delivery and awkward foot movement in the pocket. :laugh:

I think he just wants to see Colt go up against a little stiffer competition (along with a little better stock of team mates) for no other reason that to further his evaluation.

Archived