Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you walk your kids to the bus stop?

Mr. S

When I was home the last few weeks, there is one thing I noticed. Every day I'd see the kids waiting at the bus stop in the morning with their parents there. In the afternoons, I'd see three or four monster SUV's waiting by the bus stop.

Sure, I do live in a pretty wealthy neighborhood with tons of stay at home mom's, but it surprises me that soo many of them don't let their elementary and even middle school aged kids walk to the bus stop alone, in probably one of the safer neighborhoods in the area. On top of that, they just sit there in those giant SUV's wasting gas, only so little Johnny or Jane doesn't have to walk home in the cold or heat.

When I grew up, I went to the bus stop on my own. Cold or heat, whatever, we'd just keep playing with the other kids while getting home. Was it raining, who cares, we had umbrellas or used our backpacks.

So do you parents here walk/drive your kids to the bus stop, and if so, is there a specific reason other than the weather?

I was the same as you growing up...rain, cold, whatever I was walking and waiting at the bus stop. But I don't think it has to do with weather. I think parents are more concerned about all the freaks in the world these days. I have a few years before my child will go to school so I'm not sure what I'll do yet. We live in a safe neighborhood but you still just never know.

I don't, but in this county, the buses stop in front of practically every kid's house. Literally. You get driving behind a bus here, and you stop every 500 feet or so.

My son's stop is about 25 yards from my door.

~Bang

Well, my kids have the luxury of having the bus stop at the end of our street, so they only have to walk 150 feet to the stop. Of course, that's the way it is around here for the most part...the bus stops every 20 feet because kids can't walk a half-mile anymore :) (actually, they don't let them walk due to lack of sidewalks). But my wife will stand outside until the bus comes and makes sure they get on safely. But if they had to walk some distance to the bus stop, I am sure one of us would walk them there and wait with them. To many kooks around nowadays.

Same thing with riding bikes...my kids have a perimeter where they are allowed to ride and do not go beyond it. Whereas I used to ride mine all over the city when I was a kid. I live in the same city I grew up in but things have changed quite a bit...unfortunately.

I don't understand this madness either. I now live in a very nice neigherhood with literally no crime in Olney, but there is a group of moms, I should say MILFs, that chat it up on the corner with a bunch of kids every morning with their SUV's and minivans, that they don't know how to drive. It seems like a social event for them. I personally feel that they are making their kids to depedent.

I was raised by a single mom so I was taken to day care in the morning untill about fourth grade when I then began taking the school bus. I lived a now crappy but then decent apartment neighborhood. ALL the kids went to the bus by themselves. Unless they were very little like K-2, but even then they would have one of the other kids look after him/her.

Once I hit middle school, I was made to ride my bike or walk to school if i was late, never got any slack from the old woman.

Well when I was a kid my mom use to walk me to the bus stop all the time all the way to the 6th grade. Never had to walk in the rain because she was right there when I got off the bus. My friends use to joke me about it and the kids on the bus were even worse. Saying things like "there's your mom again Chris and she brought her umbrella" just to get a rise out of me. She stopped because one day I blew up and told her I was old enough to walk myself to school by myself. I know I'm better off that way but I handled that situation poorly. I really miss those times walking home with her.

Anyway I can understand why parents walk the kids to the bus stop and back. I live in a very nice neighborhood and witness the same thing with the SUVs waiting for their kids. These are different times than they use to be and I'm only 26. Crazy people would love to get their hands on those children.

I don't understand this madness either. I now live in a very nice neigherhood with literally no crime in Olney, but there is a group of moms, I should say MILFs, that chat it up on the corner with a bunch of kids..

I can look out my Kitchen window and see the same thing. The bus would arrive around 7 am and the mothers are talking for atleast an hour everyday after the bus leaves.

Kids are too young for the bus, but I intend on driving them when they are older. If they have to take the bus (blechh) I damn sure plan on driving them back and forth to the bus stop.

It has ZERO to do with coddling, socializing, or any of the other inane reasons people (childless no doubt) are speculating about.

It is about the EPIDEMIC of child violence that is sweeping this country. You can't turn on the TV or open a newspaper without reading about some poor child that got kidnapped, raped, murdered, etc. by some sick pedophile.

They are literally thousands of crazed, perverted scumbags trolling the streets for unattended kids EVERY DAY in this country.

How many times have we heard parents say this?

"I only took my eyes off him/her for a second!"

That's all it takes. Unless you live in a gated community with an electrified 20 foot razor wire fence, your kids are going to be prime targets for these degenerate freaks. And even then you have to worry about day laborers, repairmen, etc who come and go freely throughout the development.

I realize this rant is exceedingly alarmist, but you really do need to have that sense of alarm in today's world. If my paranoia helps keep my kids safe, it's worth it.

I never had anyone drop me off or pick me up from the bus stop during my time riding a school bus. But there are many things that are different from my childhood.

We rode bikes and never wore a helmet. We rode our skateboards without elbow pads, knee pads, wrist guards or helmets.

One other thing that I find a little disconcerting:

When I was growing up I remember the familiar mantra " when the street lights come on, you have to be in the house." You could not keep me inside the house as I would much rather be outside playing with my friends.

Today, you can't seem to get the kids outside for more than a minute or two. They would much rather play video games on the XBOX, PS3 or computer.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is not healthy. Is it any wonder why so many kids are overweight or even obese these days?

I got rides to the bus stop my freshman year in high school from either my dad or my neighbor's mom. Our high school bus stop was almost halfway across the neighborhood and up and down some serious hills. Thinking back now, it was probably no farther than my current walk to the metro, but the hills would have been killer every morning, and having to be there at 645 would have meant waking up way too early.

Kids are too young for the bus, but I intend on driving them when they are older. If they have to take the bus (blechh) I damn sure plan on driving them back and forth to the bus stop.

It has ZERO to do with coddling, socializing, or any of the other inane reasons people (childless no doubt) are speculating about.

It is about the EPIDEMIC of child violence that is sweeping this country. You can't turn on the TV or open a newspaper without reading about some poor child that got kidnapped, raped, murdered, etc. by some sick pedophile.

They are literally thousands of crazed, perverted scumbags trolling the streets for unattended kids EVERY DAY in this country.

How many times have we heard parents say this?

"I only took my eyes off him/her for a second!"

That's all it takes. Unless you live in a gated community with an electrified 20 foot razor wire fence, your kids are going to be prime targets for these degenerate freaks. And even then you have to worry about day laborers, repairmen, etc who come and go freely throughout the development.

I realize this rant is exceedingly alarmist, but you really do need to have that sense of alarm in today's world. If my paranoia helps keep my kids safe, it's worth it.

Where do you draw the line? No I don't have kids. I do have every intention on having kids of my own. But you will not be there every second around your child. How many incidences happen at bus stops? How many more happen at school? Are you going to go to school with them too? You have to cut the cord at some point. I know i sounds extreme but i believe there is truly a lot more benefit of kids make their own way to school then by hand holding them.

Where do you draw the line? No I don't have kids. I do have every intention on having kids of my own. But you will not be there every second around your child. How many incidences happen at bus stops? How many more happen at school? Are you going to go to school with them too? You have to cut the cord at some point. I know i sounds extreme but i believe there is truly a lot more benefit of kids make their own way to school then by hand holding them.

I agree. I understand reasons such as distance, or if they are running late. Shoot, extreme rain/snow, if you are home, then may as well go pick them up.

I also definitely see all the milfs just standing around. I mean, my neighborhood is not that big. I don't care how hot or cold it is, but do the honestly need to drive a big SUV to the bus stop unless it's like a mile away? At least walk them.

I can also understand if there are only 1-2 kids at the stop. I would definitely not want my kid standing there alone.

Maybe I will change my tone, but when I was younger, I wouldn't want my parents around or it would just make me get laughs. I don't intend on taking my kids to the stop after 1st or 2nd grade. What happened to good ole fashioned "don't talk to strangers" and "don't accept candy from any old person unless its Halloween?"

I know times are different, and there are more scumbags around, but is it really that much more in proportion to the increased number of children? Seems like children are just as much at risk at home alone or in the mall. Again, I could definitely be wrong, and I may change my tone, but so long as there are a good amount of other kids at the stop, it seems alright to let them go.

I agree too, bus stops are increasing and becoming shorter in distance between.

For me that line changes on a weekly basis it seems....

I wish my kids grew up in the world I did where the things McMetal mentioned in his post weren't as prevalent as they are today. I absolutely understand the need to cut that cord, but every time I go to cut it, something happens :laugh:

I let my kids go over to the local park to play, then someone sends me a link of all the registered sex offenders in my area and I pull back on that cord a bit...

You drop the kids off at a youth activity (church, scouts, baseball, you name it) and then you see a leader of that organization busted for selling dope, giving alcohol to minors, etc (all things on the local news), and it becomes harder to let go of that cord.

Like I said, I understand the need to let go...but knowing full well that if I do "let go" and something were to happen, I would have to live with that for the rest of my life. I try to let go of that cord more and more as they get older, but it's never an easy decision. I'm not sure I'll ever to be able to draw a definitive line in the sand and let go completely....even when they are 40 :silly:

Are things truly worse now than they used to be? Or are we just more informed and aware about things nowadays, creating the impression that things are worse?

With 24 hour news, the Internet, and other instant communication, we hear every horror story about an assaulted or abducted kid, no matter where it happens.

I do wonder if kids are really less safe now than we used to be, or whether because the news about incidents travels so much farther and faster, we're just more sensitive to the danger today.

Are things truly worse now than they used to be? Or are we just more informed and aware about things nowadays, creating the impression that things are worse?

With 24 hour news, the Internet, and other instant communication, we hear every horror story about an assaulted or abducted kid, no matter where it happens.

I do wonder if kids are really less safe now than we used to be, or whether because the news about incidents travels so much farther and faster, we're just more sensitive to the danger today.

I agree that's part of it...

However, if I forget about national news and just focus on the local news I hear I find stories just as frightening...

Over the last 6-8 months in towns close to mine, we have seen bus drivers arrested for fondling children, another charged with sexual misconduct and a third charged with DUI while driving the bus (and that's just the bus drivers, whom you should be able to have some degree of trust in...nevermind the kook who might be walkking by the bus stop)

I would love to be able to say "that doesn't happen around here" but unfortunately it does...

I live right next to the elementary, middle, and high schools so I walk my son to school. On occasion, he will ride his bike and I'll watch until I see him enter the school. You just don't know who the sickos are.

Archived