Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you walk your kids to the bus stop?

Mr. S

Are things truly worse now than they used to be? Or are we just more informed and aware about things nowadays, creating the impression that things are worse?

With 24 hour news, the Internet, and other instant communication, we hear every horror story about an assaulted or abducted kid, no matter where it happens.

I do wonder if kids are really less safe now than we used to be, or whether because the news about incidents travels so much farther and faster, we're just more sensitive to the danger today.

THANK YOU!!! :notworthy

I do believe there is more crime, but not necessarily the ones that affect kids directly. If anything, people are more cautious now a days and it makes it more difficult for perps to "attack" kids.

Now a days, its the OTHER kids you have to be concerned about....weapons and suchs. As far as drugs, I don't think much has changed, we are more informed and connected as a society to the problems. I also believe more cases get reported to just by the media, but by the victims to authorities....like sexual offenses. I don't base that on just a gut feeling but from studying criminal justice for two years.

Are things truly worse now than they used to be? Or are we just more informed and aware about things nowadays, creating the impression that things are worse?

With 24 hour news, the Internet, and other instant communication, we hear every horror story about an assaulted or abducted kid, no matter where it happens.

That does seem like it's what contributes to more watching of our children. We can look up sex offenders online now, instead of remembering them when they moved in.

Local news also just seems to talk about these kinds of issues, but as far back as I can remember, they have always talked about these problems happening.

I get the feeling my tones will change whenever I become a parent. For now though, I think I just take more issue with those big gas guzzlers running while the milfs are watching their children at the bus stop, or waiting for the bus to come back.

Where do you draw the line? No I don't have kids. I do have every intention on having kids of my own. But you will not be there every second around your child. How many incidences happen at bus stops? How many more happen at school? Are you going to go to school with them too? You have to cut the cord at some point. I know i sounds extreme but i believe there is truly a lot more benefit of kids make their own way to school then by hand holding them.

Schools nowadays are extremely secure, so I am not too worried about my kids getting brutalized in the hallways on the way to the auditorium.

Out in "the world" it's a different matter. I'm talking about young kids too, not teens, where you can have at least a little sense of comfort sending them out on their own.

I appreciate the benefit of fostering independence, but the stuff our parents used to allow us to do simply will not fly anymore. It's more important to keep the little ones alive and healthy first and foremost.

And I strongly disagree with the notion that it's only increased media coverage that sensationalizes these cases. Violence against children in this country, and globally, is at an all-time high. It's a sick, sad world.

When I grew up, I went to the bus stop on my own. Cold or heat, whatever, we'd just keep playing with the other kids while getting home. Was it raining, who cares, we had umbrellas or used our backpacks.

Yeah the days of standing at the school bus and trick or treating on your own are gone. Blame the media for it. The media would have you believe there are child predators hiding in the bushes at every corner. :doh: Back then it was "safety in numbers"...now it is "safety in numbers with a paranoid soccer Mom". I want my kids to be safe but I think there is a bit of paranoia and overkill when it comes to safety.

With that said...we'll probably walk our kids to the bus. :paranoid:

I was driven to school everyday by my mom because my school didn't have a bus. And I'll readily admit, I have every intention of driving my future children to school or the bus stop everyday, or at least walking them there and waiting for them to get on the bus...no matter how much my future husband will make fun of me.

There might be only a small chance of something bad happening between the bus stop and home or school and home, but I'd never forgive myself if something did happen...:2cents:

There might be only a small chance of something bad happening between the bus stop and home or school and home, but I'd never forgive myself if something did happen...:2cents:

So I guess that also rules out taking the metro home alone with a quarter in his/her pocket. :silly:

So I guess that also rules out taking the metro home alone with a quarter in his/her pocket. :silly:

What, you got that feeling from my posts in that thread?!?! :laugh:

Hey, I'm the first to admit I'm the motherly caretaker type. I wasn't called 'mother hen' of my high school sports teams for nothing!

My response....

what do you care?

Everyone does with their kids how they see fit. Some people let their kids roam alone, some don't.

In the end I think most people do what's best for their children. I walk my kids to the bus stop, they appreciate it. Thats all that matters in the end.

What, you got that feeling from my posts in that thread?!?! :laugh:

Hey, I'm the first to admit I'm the motherly caretaker type. I wasn't called 'mother hen' of my high school sports teams for nothing!

Kids need a Mom with a good motherly instinct. You'll make a great Mom. :thumbsup:

My response....

what do you care?

Everyone does with their kids how they see fit. Some people let their kids roam alone, some don't.

In the end I think most people do what's best for their children. I walk my kids to the bus stop, they appreciate it. Thats all that matters in the end.

whoa man, don't get too offensive or anything. I was merely curious. On top, it ties into the general weakening of children in general. Despite not being the toughest or boy growing up, and for being more of a video game nerd when younger, I still had my share of nicks and cuts. I rode my bike into the woods and streams where kids nowadays wouldn't be allowed to. Many of us have been posting random threads of kids getting more and more pampering (no more dodgeball, parents complaining more, etc...).

I am in no way saying your kids are like this, and probably most people who have posted in here are probably good enough parents to not allow this to happen to their kids. But we both have seen those soccer moms sitting there complaining when anything happens to their kid, and I mean anything. I think it's great that from a family standpoint, you and anyone else can still walk your kids to the bus stop. That says a lot about their future relationships with you.

I let my kids walk to bus stop[one block away], i could hear them but not see them.

I walked to bus stop first two years, then to all 3 schools elementy and high was about 1.25 miles away jr high .4 miles away. Walked everyday except during heavy rain, always by choice

I do wonder if kids are really less safe now than we used to be, or whether because the news about incidents travels so much farther and faster, we're just more sensitive to the danger today.

for my 2 cents things have stayed the same [percentage wise], i remember kids disappearing back in the 50's and 60's. I had a star&post paper route when i was 12-15, and one morning some man tried to get me in his car, i ran home and from that time forward my dad followed me on my route

When i met my first wife,1970, they had just found a missing childs remains on his land in the woodbridge area, and lets not forget the Lyon sisters

.no matter how much my future husband will make fun of me.

It will be the other kids making fun or your kids

But we both have seen those soccer moms sitting there complaining when anything happens to their kid, and I mean anything. I think it's great that from a family standpoint, you and anyone else can still walk your kids to the bus stop. That says a lot about their future relationships with you.

There is a difference between walking your kid to the bus stop and spending time with them and the actions of the soccer moms.

The soccer mom syndrome is another story. :D That and the parents who are so naive and say "not my kid....he/she would never do that"

Archived