Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Bob Dylan Political?

Tour of Duty

I was having a discussion with a few friends last night and one of my friends who is a big Bob Dylan fan said he didnt write political songs.

I always assumed he was very political due to the fact he would play with leftist artists like Joan Baez and the majority of his listeners were of the leftist movement.

I'm not too familiar with his beliefs/music so if anyone knows alot about him could you fill me in on any overtly political songs he may have written.

Your friend is remarkably ignorant.

Listen to the following songs:

Masters of War

Blowin' In The Wind

Talking WWW III Blues

Only A Pawn In their Game

Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll

Subterannian Homesick Blues

The Times They Are A Changin

Like a Rolling Stone

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall

My understanding is that Dylan was very political, but he did not protest. He would not join rallies and he wouldn't speak for causes and it pissed off other folkies to no end. However, his music was certainly political and/or filled with social commentary.

predicto - that's how he felt, doesn't mean he was political. Ask Dylan himself and it would a big old 'hell no'. I wrote a paper about just how anti-counterculture/political movements Dylan actually was.

Yes, he had an change of heart in the late 1960s and rejected the counterculture and the idea that he was writing music to reflect the political views of other people. Early on, however, he was a straight-up protest guy.

predicto - that's how he felt, doesn't mean he was political. Ask Dylan himself and it would a big old 'hell no'. I wrote a paper about just how anti-counterculture/political movements Dylan actually was.

This is the right answer. It was illustrated pretty well a couple years back when PBS aired "No Direction Home", Martin Scorcese's documentary about Dylan's rise as a folk impressario and switch to electric. Dylan disdained being called the voice of a generation, and was bemused by the diehard radical fans parsing every phrase he wrote.

For any Dylan fans, or anyone interested in him, I highly recommend viewing No Direction Home . One of the best musical biography/documentaries I've seen.

Especially as a follower of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger in his early days, he definitely held strong political views that went against much of the "establishment." But he wasn't one-dimensional. It was their heart and passion for their beliefs that also inpsired him. He didn't ever want to be a leader or a spokesperson, however, which is how he identified "being political" and that's what he has stated in his own unedited words. His writing often revealed powerful social (and hence, poltical) views (Hurricane, for example) he personally held, as well as the more basic human feelings all share.

Yes, he had an change of heart in the late 1960s and rejected the counterculture and the idea that he was writing music to reflect the political views of other people. Early on, however, he was a straight-up protest guy.

I think his songs were definitely political. In the 1960's he was at the center of the counter culture. Songs like "everybody must get stoned", and "the times they are a changing" were at the center of the counter culture and anti Vietnam movement.

Dylan back in the day was one of the earliy folk music acts two go to the electric guatar and a lot of the sixties grovey culture really condemned him for that.

I don't know if it's revisionist history or what, but Martin Scorsis documentary, "No Direction Home", Dylan denies he was ever political. He claims he considered himself an entertainer, rather than a person with the ansers.

In the Documentary they have Dylan complaining because every few months folks still come to his house to discuss the troubles of the world like he has answers. Dylan said he calls the police on them, and that really pisses him off.

So I would say, Dylan definitely was politcial in the 1960's and has spent the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's living down his association with that time. Today he plays down his role in the counter culture as he fights for commercial success in the 21st century.

I think that his lyrics were social commentary - not political.

Best lyric he ever wrote about people trying to make him into something he ain't:

They say sing while you slave

I just get bored

Named my daughter after that song (Maggie's Farm)

"Oh a false clock tries to tick out my time

To disgrace, distract, and bother me.

And the dirt of gossip blows into my face,

And the dust of rumors covers me.

But if the arrow is straight

And the point is slick,

It can pierce through dust no matter how thick.

So I'll make my stand

And remain as I am

And bid farewell and not give a damn."

• 4 years later...

His songs certainly spoke to his times but yes, as Jumbo stated, he didn't want to be labelled a leader of a movement. He was famously apolitical in a lot of situations. And how the heck did a journalist think he was gonna getaway with stealing his lines? Silly.

This is the right answer. It was illustrated pretty well a couple years back when PBS aired "No Direction Home", Martin Scorcese's documentary about Dylan's rise as a folk impressario and switch to electric. Dylan disdained being called the voice of a generation, and was bemused by the diehard radical fans parsing every phrase he wrote.

For any Dylan fans, or anyone interested in him, I highly recommend viewing No Direction Home . One of the best musical biography/documentaries I've seen.

Agreed - its excellent. Joan Baez is very clear in it that while Dylan felt support for liberal and some left wing views he was not at heart a politically driven person or artist in the sense of promoting a specific agenda or set of ideas. He rejected the attempt by the left to claim him as one of their own, like he rejected the constraints of traditional folk music.

---------- Post added July-30th-2012 at 05:40 PM ----------

Can I ask what you base this on? Have you actually listened or do you just buy into that old BS myth of 'you can't understand what he says'?

If folks don't like the voice or music, just read the words. They stand alone as poetry.

No Direction Home was excellent. Marty Scorcese loves himself good tunes. It's funny, and a bit off topic, but legions of folk fans thought that Dylan sold his soul when he went from acoustic to electric. It seems baffling to me but I wasn't there. Dylan seems awesome in each and every era he's had.

Guest Spearfeather

This is how I see it, also. In general, I would say no, he was not.

He certainly had some songs that could be seen as " politcal " but, I see a song like " Hattie Caroll " more about inequality or injustice in general.

All of the songs you listed Predicto , were writtten in a four year time period, very early on in his career ( as you aknowledge ). He did have a couple later on. He wanted nothing to do with the hippie movement, and did not tour at all between late 1966 through early 1974 after faking a motorcycle accident to get away from basically, everybody. Dylan was living in Woodstock, but as far as playing Woodstock. Not a chance.

After 1966, John Wesley Hardin.....Political? Not really. Nashville Skyline? No. New Morning? Blood on the Tracks? Nope. Then Desire ( O.K. the song, " Hurricane "). Then came four " Religous " albums.

Overall, I just don't see Dylan as " political ", or see why anyone would consider him " the voice " of anything.

Come you masters of war

You that build all the guns

You that build the death planes

You that build all the bombs

You that hide behind walls

You that hide behind desks

I just want you to know

I can see through your masks.

You that never done nothin'

But build to destroy

You play with my world

Like it's your little toy