Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Jesus conceived during the rape of Mary by a Roman soldier?

China

Well, the eminent theologian and historian Paul Verhoeven (you may know him better as the director of "RoboCop") is espousing this theory.

Director's book disputes birth of Jesus

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- Film director Paul Verhoeven has written a book that contradicts the Bible by suggesting that Jesus might have been fathered by a Roman soldier who raped Mary.

An Amsterdam publishing house said Wednesday it would publish the Dutch filmmaker's biography of Jesus, "Jesus of Nazareth: A Realistic Portrait" in September.

Verhoeven is best known as the director of blockbuster films including "Basic Instinct" and "RoboCop," but he is also a member of "Jesus Seminar," a group of scholars and authors that seeks to establish historical facts about Jesus.

Marianna Sterk of the publishing house J.M. Meulenhoff said the book included several ideas that ran contrary to Christian faith, including the suggestion that Jesus could be the son of a Roman soldier who raped Mary during a Jewish uprising against Roman rule in 4 B.C.

The book also claims that Judas Iscariot was not responsible for Jesus' betrayal, she said.

The movie director's claims were greeted with some skepticism among those who have dedicated their careers to studying the life of Jesus.

One issue is that there is very little information about the life of Jesus outside of the Gospels. The Gospels as understood by Christians for nearly 2,000 years do not support Verhoeven's ideas.

William Portier, a professor of religious studies at the University of Dayton, in Ohio, said the Jesus Seminar was known for making provocative claims, but "they are real scholars -- you have to deal with them."

Click on the link for the full article

I don't see any reason to get excited. As the article mentions, there is practically nothing about Mary, Joseph, and Jesus' early life outside the gospels. So aside from the fact that some pinhead wrote a book, what's the big deal? I really don't think he has any evidence that's been missed by everybody else for 2000 years. It's just wild speculation and an attempt to be inflamatory. Nothing to see here, lets move on.

This is absolutely insulting. I dont understand why people feel the need or are allowed to come in here and insult something that is held so high by others.

Who in the hell are you to post something like this? This is nothing but an attack on my religious beliefs and you are ONLY doing it to cause problems.

An interesting theory but...Paul Verhoeven made Showgirls. Showgirls. Think about that for a second. Showgirls...

And we're supposed to assume he's some sort of authority on this subject? I mean I'm all for the questioning of religious dogma and doctrine as I don't tend to believe most of it myself, but I could pay some crack head 50 cents to write a story about Mary getting raped and pregnant with Jesus and sell it and it would be about as credible as this.

Guest ComebackKing

That's pretty weird... Not gonna buy it for a second.

I'll go with the 4 gospels. You know they were written at different times from different people in different places and yet they all tell the same story... Pretty crazy eh?

But "ohhh no let's figure out a way to prove Jesus wasn't who he was so I can feel all good about rejecting him."

This is absolutely insulting. I dont understand why people feel the need or are allowed to come in here and insult something that is held so high by others.

Who in the hell are you to post something like this? This is nothing but an attack on my religious beliefs and you are ONLY doing it to cause problems.

I shouldn't be allowed to post this? Ever heard of freedom of speech? Or perhaps your thinking is more in line with those Muslims who riot over a cartoon of Muhammed?

If you don't agree with the theory, fine. It should in no way affect your beliefs. Lighten up Francis.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, facetious or honest.

I shouldn't be allowed to post this? Ever heard of freedom of speech? Or perhaps your thinking is more in line with those Muslims who riot over a cartoon of Muhammed?

If you don't agree with the theory, fine. It should in no way affect your beliefs. Lighten up Francis.

Your personal attacks on my personal savior are out of line and done for NO other reason but to cause a **** storm.

This is blasphemous and out of line. I dont think this is freedom of speech, this is chicken **** attacking because you want to cause problems.

And stop with the Francis bull**** right now, this is not even close to funny to me.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion about things. That includes religion.

Doesn't make them crazy. Maybe wrong, but aren't we all sometimes?

this IS wrong and done for no other reason but to attack Christians and their beliefs. I take that as a personal attack. He is basically posting a thread that states my savior that I have spent my whole life worshipping was conceived by rape. That the Virgin Mary was raped by roman soldiers.

You cant see how that is insulting and out of line?

Your personal attacks on my personal savior are out of line and done for NO other reason but to cause a **** storm.

This is blasphemous and out of line. I dont think this is freedom of speech, this is chicken **** attacking because you want to cause problems.

And stop with the Francis bull**** right now, this is not even close to funny to me.

I'm with you... China never starts threads unless they specifically deal with undermining religion, especially your personal savior...

Oh wait... Doesn't China start about 5 new threads every day on everything throughout the spectrum?

China I'm pissed at you because I think I was raped by a ghost last night...

Did China write the article or post it?

You seem to be the only person even taking this seriously.

this IS wrong and done for no other reason but to attack Christians and their beliefs. I take that as a personal attack. He is basically posting a thread that states my savior that I have spent my whole life worshipping was conceived by rape. That the Virgin Mary was raped by roman soldiers.

Get over yourself.

What personal attack? He posted an article on a theory that is being circulated. I don't agree with it and frankly I think "could have been" is a pretty crappy basis for a theory to begin with.

I thought you had to be joking. At least I hoped...

If not, you got issues son.

Your first sentence may be correct. I don't know China, so I couldn't make that call. And there are other reasons to post the article. But -- possibly yes.

The second part doesn't hold water, though. Of course he can say that if he so chooses. In doing so, he's also choosing to expose himself to the consequences of posting it.

There's no such thing as a supposed "right" not to be offended.

What personal attack? He posted an article on a theory that is being circulated. I don't agree with it and frankly I think "could have been" is a pretty crappy basis for a theory to begin with.
Exactly, its pure speculation on Verhoeven's part.

Archived