Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How would you fix the hole at WR??

jivelikenice

Ok, there's been a lot of debate on the board today on whether or not we should trade for Chad Johnson and my question to those saying don't trade for Chad is if we don't trade for him, how would you suggest addressing the WR position??

I don't know if anyone saw these stats on ESPN today, but our wide receivers were last in the league in the following:

Receptions (Last)

Yardage (Last)

Touchdowns (Tied for Last)

You cannot make the argument that we don't need serious help at the WR position. You can make the argument that its our biggest need considering our defense was well ahead of our offense. You can argue that #85 isn't the right move to make but I want to know what you would suggest is the right move that significantly improves our wr corp, and gives our young QB a go to receiver to work with.

Here are my thoughts on some guys:

1. Roy Williams- He could be the best option but I can't see Millen giving him up for anything less than a #1 since he was a top 10 pick

2. Jerry Porter- Is his mediocre performance a result of who he is or the Raiders offense? Age is also a factor but he could be had on the cheap compared to #85 and Roy W.

3. Javon Walker- Talented but serious injury concerns

4. Bernard Berrian- Will be expensive and is not the possession receiver we need. Reminds me of Lloyd

5. Fitzgerald-Would be the best option, but also carries the highest price tag. I would imagine it takes a 1 & 3 at minimum to get him.

6. Bryant Johnson- Can you really rely on him as the guy to turn this wr corp around? He had average results in Zona as a starter when Boldin or Fitz were out.

7. D.J. Hackett- Knows the system but is injury prone and not a provent starting wideout at this point.

8. Chad Johnson- Age is a factor but has at least 4-5 good years in him as wr's are now playing into their mid 30's. Would instantly become our #1 wideout and make other people on our roster better. Downside is the draft picks it would take to get him.

To me it has to be Chad, Roy or Porter if compensation can't be worked out with the first 2. I would try to avoid giving up a #1 and try to use a combination of a 2nd rounder and a player or '09 pick.

I cant 100% blame those stats on our wideouts. JC and the playcalling had alot to do with that. That said, I love Moss and ARE (& Cooley). I said, and have said - we need someone to move the chains similar to Welker and get us first downs.

I think we have players similar to Welker on our team already in Santana or Randel El. You can't ignore how much Randy Moss opened up things inside for Wes. If you take Moss away then he doesn't catch the amount of passes he did. We need the #1 guy to let Moss and ARE get those one on ones in open space.

I see two options coming our way Dan drafts a high caliper wide out or he lands Chad Johnson.

Johnson wants to come here but it will cost us dearly and a trade will have to come about so what high profile skin will be the one to get traded? Please don't say Moss but it might come to that. I don't see Johnson being worth it so who do draft Mr. Snyder?

Here are my thoughts on some guys:

1. Roy Williams- He could be the best option but I can't see Millen giving him up for anything less than a #1 since he was a top 10 pick

2. Jerry Porter- Is his mediocre performance a result of who he is or the Raiders offense? Age is also a factor but he could be had on the cheap compared to #85 and Roy W.

3. Javon Walker- Talented but serious injury concerns

4. Bernard Berrian- Will be expensive and is not the possession receiver we need. Reminds me of Lloyd

5. Fitzgerald-Would be the best option, but also carries the highest price tag. I would imagine it takes a 1 & 3 at minimum to get him.

6. Bryant Johnson- Can you really rely on him as the guy to turn this wr corp around? He had average results in Zona as a starter when Boldin or Fitz were out.

7. D.J. Hackett- Knows the system but is injury prone and not a provent starting wideout at this point.

8. Chad Johnson- Age is a factor but has at least 4-5 good years in him as wr's are now playing into their mid 30's. Would instantly become our #1 wideout and make other people on our roster better. Downside is the draft picks it would take to get him.

I agree. Because after those guys retire, there will never be any other recievers worthy of rinsing their jocks. They don't teach recieving in school anymore. And if some freak of nature WR is born, and he finds his way to the NFL, Vinny wouldn't be able to pick him out of a lineup.

In 5 years when these guys retire, the NFL will probably go back to the V formation and outlaw passing. I'll remember the old days fondly though.

Why does an old man like me have to tell you young punks that a team is built through youth, insightful player recruitment and teamsmanship? How many times do we need to try and buy a SB till you see it doesn't work? What team ever bought a trophy in the cap era? None have spent more money than Danny since the day he got here. By a large margin. It don't work that way.

I'm one that if I'm going to spend picks, I'd rather it be on younger players who will be here for a while. I don't think that 1) WR is our biggest need and 2) such a move is all we need to go over the top. That's why I'd rather go after Williams or Fitzgerald rather than Johnson.

Then again, if we figure out a way to keep Moss and ARE healthy, maybe such a drastic move isn't needed. No doubt, we have needs there, but that can be solved with complementary talent. That's where the lower-tier FA come in, like Hackett and B. Johnson.

Jason

This is perfect timing for the Skins to start respecting the draft.

New coach, new system, and nobody is expecting a Superbowl in 2008.

Just draft a wideout and let him learn this offense for a year with everybody else, and then explode on the scene in 2009.

We haven't drafted a WR since 1980 in the first round that was worth the draft pick. (e.g. Westbrook, Jacobs, Gardner, Howard, etc.). Getting a "me, first" type guy like Chad Johnson is the antithesis of Redksin players. Note how the Giants were a better team and Eli was a better QB when "me, first" Shockey was gone. The added pressure of the whiny superstar makes it tough, especially on a young QB. You can get away with it when you're Tom Brady or Tony Romeo. Their egos are already big enough to contain the sniping that comes from their superstar WR's. This would be bad for Campbell.

You couldn't get any more open than Moss was in the Seattle game. The problem was that Collins was being eaten by a Seattle linebacker and couldn't get him the ball. The same will happen whether you get Ocho Ego or the second coming of Art Monk and Jerry Rice. If the QB doesn't have protection, the best WR in the world doesn't make a difference.

I fully expect the FO to grant some of you your wish. This is the splashy type of play that makes Coach Dan and Vinny drool. Building the WR's up before doing the basics (drafting OL and DL) is a poor way to build a team and a really bad idea, but that never stopped them before.

Please, don't bring CJ. He's neither a possession reciever, nor a team player. If we're going to trade the #1, consider only Roy Williams (as I don't think L. Fitzgerald will be available). Williams has speed, size, and he can go over the middle. He's a team player. Maybe we package Shawn Springs and our #1 for Williams and #4. In FA, I'd look at DJ Hackett for the right price, maybe even Porter. Then draft Jordy Nelson in the 5th or 6th round, if he's still there.

With all the holes on this team we're gonna trade a 1st and 3rd for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams? And we're already with no 4th or 5th round pick? This fanbase has been Snyderized. Get whatever sounds good no matter what the cost.

This is the difference between the Patriots and the Redskins. They stockpile picks and end up trading a 4th rounder they don't even need for Randy Moss. We don't stockpile picks and end up trading 4th rounders we desperately need for Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett.

Draft your own WR. Maybe a Bryant Johnson in free agency for a decent price. Keep all the draft picks. Better yet, try to acquire more.

why does it have to be someone that we acquire from another team? there are some nice wr prospects coming out in the draft that would cost less. besides cincy wont take any less then a first and may demand a second as well for johnson. that is too high a price to pay for any player.

why does it have to be someone that we acquire from another team? there are some nice wr prospects coming out in the draft that would cost less. besides cincy wont take any less then a first and may demand a second as well for johnson. that is too high a price to pay for any player.

Why would you draft an unproven WR with the pick instead of trading it for CJ? Do I really need to list all the 1st round WR busts over the last few years? If you want a wideout it only makes sense to trade the pick for a GURRANTEED star instead of rolling the dice on something you have no idea how it's going to turn out.

Really, I'll start naming busts if I have to.

Go after the more economical FAs like Porter and Hackett.

Don't draft a WR, or at least don't use anything above a 5th rounder to do so.

I say that because in all his years with the Skins, Stan Hixon (our current WR's coach) has yet to develop any WR talent at the pro level. Heck, he wasn't even able to maximize the FA talent we brought in to upgrade our passing game over the last couple of years.

Frankly, I'm surprised Hixon is still with the team, as I long considered him the weakest link on the Gibbs coaching staff. Getting veteran WRs means we won't have to rely on Hixon stepping up his coaching of WRs.

If we are going to go the Draft Pick route. Which based on the way we do business here is my order of preference.

#1) Larry Fitzgerald. Young and a bona fide playmaker. If we give up multiple picks this would be the guy that would soften the sting of that for me.

#2) Roy Williams. Pretty much the same as Larry Fitz to me, except I don't know that he is quite as much of a deep threat as Larry.

#3) Chad Johnson. He's a pure stud, but also 30 and not worth a high pick. I'd be fine with him coming here for a Randy Moss level pick. I realize that won't happen. Chad is a proven commodity though. I'd have no reservations about our WR lineup with him in there.

I know we've had issues with giving up picks for bad talent. I don't think any of those three would be a Brandon Lloyd or Duckett level move. We gave up our picks for B.Lloyd because we thought we could be sneaky and get him for a mid round pick and get the productivity that the three guys are guranteed to give. We gambled and lost on that obviously.

I don't see giving up a pick for these as a gamble, where I have a problem with surrending a pick for these guys is the fact that we are sorely in need of depth on our two lines. These guys are going to be useless if we don't have protection to give JC time to throw to them downfield. Just my :2cents:

Ok, there's been a lot of debate on the board today on whether or not we should trade for Chad Johnson and my question to those saying don't trade for Chad is if we don't trade for him, how would you suggest addressing the WR position??

I would pick up Devery Henderson. The guy is young and has tons of potential. I really hope we look elsewhere before settling on Johnson.

LDE is my biggest concern. The first round pick should be used to address that, either with a trade or the draft. I would prefer the draft route, but a young proven pass rusher could be worth a trade.

I would like to see a second day draft pick used on a big physical WR, and also a cheap veteran from a WCO as a teacher on the field. There is no need to use a first day pick on a WR at this point, protection for JC is a bigger need as well.

I would feel comfortable heading into camp with the following:

Moss

ARE

Mix

*Rookie WR

*Veteran WCO (Maybe Thrash from his time in Philly)

*Undrafted free agents, Mike Espy, etc. Guys who have a shot to impress coaches.

Archived