Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How would you fix the hole at WR??

jivelikenice

You fix it without gutting the rest of your team. Offer Bryant Johnson a reasonable contract with little up front. Make him or whoever we get earn their money before giving them the bank roll. Don't give up a first rounder to get Ocho Cinco because he won't be the same here. Roy Williams is actually a better fit and would be cheaper but I'm not sure if I like that route either. Take a late round pick and get a WR. There are a couple of big guys such as Monk expected to go late.

Take a late round pick and get a WR. There are a couple of big guys such as Monk expected to go late.

I could see Jerry Jones taking Monk to get us back for taking Landry and Dallas Clark last year. :mad:

My brother is a cowgirl and he was so pissed that we got Landry.

:laugh:

That IMO is the worst option. Trading a 1st for Chad or Roy lands you a known commodity. Drafting a WR in Round 1 to me is a waste. Use your 1st rounder on premium positions like DE and Corner....

He didnt mention which round, did he?

I'd draft one too, but it would be on day 2. I would spend the first day on Oline and Dline, and probably the first part of day 2 on them as well.

This is perfect timing for the Skins to start respecting the draft.

New coach, new system, and nobody is expecting a Superbowl in 2008.

Just draft a wideout and let him learn this offense for a year with everybody else, and then explode on the scene in 2009.

DING! We have a winner!

:cheers:

I'll also add that you give Mix a chance to see what he can do and develop. he doesn't have to be the fastest guy on the field if he can just make the catches that move the chains. He came in late as a developmental guy last year but he's a guy that most people think really has potential.

My 2 cents...

We package Moss and Lloyd or a late round draft pick for Roy Williams.

We trade our #1 pick for Ocho.

Keep ARE.

Use all the rest of our picks this year for guys in the trenches and a stand out saftey or CB (possibly move Springs to FS)

Release dead cap guys and non performers (as long as it does not directly reflect insubordination in the locker room)

Make a move for Briggs (we are going to need a saftey net if Rocky cant make it back next season. IDK... Its very possible that Blades could fill this roll. I would love to see the dwarves playing side by side! :))

Thats it for now... more later

With all the holes on this team we're gonna trade a 1st and 3rd for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams? And we're already with no 4th or 5th round pick? This fanbase has been Snyderized. Get whatever sounds good no matter what the cost.

This is the difference between the Patriots and the Redskins. They stockpile picks and end up trading a 4th rounder they don't even need for Randy Moss. We don't stockpile picks and end up trading 4th rounders we desperately need for Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett.

Draft your own WR. Maybe a Bryant Johnson in free agency for a decent price. Keep all the draft picks. Better yet, try to acquire more.

Last I checked we have our 5th this year. we lost our 4th Next year due to playing time of one Pete Kendall.

It irritates me slightly that everyone suddenly wants to butcher the WR corps.

I say we need to add a guy, but not at #1. I think that we need to bring a guy in at #3 that's skilled enough to run slant routes - kind of like a Wes Welker type - because Moss' and ARE's speed, if utilized correctly, will leave the third guy open over the short middle continuously with very few worries about a safety coming upfield and crushing him. I think, before we make any drastic moves, we should give a guy or two that are on our practice squad a shot. Remember - we don't need to have Patriots WR depth because we've got Cooley as well as a decent running game.

Give Jason a year to work with some of the guys we've got. THEN, if they don't work out, start making drastic changes.

And DON'T TRADE SANTANA OR ARE. NOT YET.

2. Jerry Porter- Is his mediocre performance a result of who he is or the Raiders offense? Age is also a factor but he could be had on the cheap compared to #85 and Roy W.

If it was my job to make the decisioin this is what I would do. He is a local guy and I think he was a victim of being a Raider much like Randy Moss. He is not going to be the number 1 or 2 guy so he is affordable and adds some size. I think Randel El is coming off a career year and will only excel more in the WCO. He is so good at coming over the middle and getting YAC. I think he is on the verge of another big year and we dont need to get a star receiver like Chad Johnson.

Ok, there's been a lot of debate on the board today on whether or not we should trade for Chad Johnson and my question to those saying don't trade for Chad is if we don't trade for him, how would you suggest addressing the WR position??

I don't know if anyone saw these stats on ESPN today, but our wide receivers were last in the league in the following:

Receptions (Last)

Yardage (Last)

Touchdowns (Tied for Last)

You cannot make the argument that we don't need serious help at the WR position. You can make the argument that its our biggest need considering our defense was well ahead of our offense. You can argue that #85 isn't the right move to make but I want to know what you would suggest is the right move that significantly improves our wr corp, and gives our young QB a go to receiver to work with.

Here are my thoughts on some guys:

1. Roy Williams- He could be the best option but I can't see Millen giving him up for anything less than a #1 since he was a top 10 pick

2. Jerry Porter- Is his mediocre performance a result of who he is or the Raiders offense? Age is also a factor but he could be had on the cheap compared to #85 and Roy W.

3. Javon Walker- Talented but serious injury concerns

4. Bernard Berrian- Will be expensive and is not the possession receiver we need. Reminds me of Lloyd

5. Fitzgerald-Would be the best option, but also carries the highest price tag. I would imagine it takes a 1 & 3 at minimum to get him.

6. Bryant Johnson- Can you really rely on him as the guy to turn this wr corp around? He had average results in Zona as a starter when Boldin or Fitz were out.

7. D.J. Hackett- Knows the system but is injury prone and not a provent starting wideout at this point.

8. Chad Johnson- Age is a factor but has at least 4-5 good years in him as wr's are now playing into their mid 30's. Would instantly become our #1 wideout and make other people on our roster better. Downside is the draft picks it would take to get him.

To me it has to be Chad, Roy or Porter if compensation can't be worked out with the first 2. I would try to avoid giving up a #1 and try to use a combination of a 2nd rounder and a player or '09 pick.

First, we have to settle "CAP" issues and we have to do that internally. At present we do have players that are becoming "long in the tooth". In free agency, it seems as tho we've always given up more than we received, case in point "LLOYD", a "sham artist" that really took the team for a ride, and cost us dearly.

In our up-coming operations covering "the cap, free agency and the draft", we have to use "due dilligence".

Remember that Joe said that he would be retained as an advisor,and also remember that he will continue to advise Dan as his mentor. !!! :)

1. Hire a WR Coach that can teach the position and a history of good results.

2. Give Anthony Mix a legit shot at the other starting WR slot.

3. Give Brandon Lloyd a legit shot under the new regime

We cannot afford to put more money into the WR position. We need to get out of this free agent frenzy thinking and get back to training the guys you draft to become the players you need.

Mix looked really good on special teams and I think he has earned a shot working for the starting WR slot. At 6'5, 230 pounds he is already here and he presents all kinds of matchup problems for DBs.

Seriously though I would take 2 or 3 WRs in day 2 that are 6'4 or taller. Then I'd take the rest of the undrafted WRs that are that tall and see how they pan out. All we need is a good tall WR for moving first downs and fade routes to the end zone like T.O. or Plaxico. There's a bunch of these guys waiting to get their chance.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/wr.html

It irritates me slightly that everyone suddenly wants to butcher the WR corps.

I say we need to add a guy, but not at #1. I think that we need to bring a guy in at #3 that's skilled enough to run slant routes - kind of like a Wes Welker type - because Moss' and ARE's speed, if utilized correctly, will leave the third guy open over the short middle continuously with very few worries about a safety coming upfield and crushing him. I think, before we make any drastic moves, we should give a guy or two that are on our practice squad a shot. Remember - we don't need to have Patriots WR depth because we've got Cooley as well as a decent running game.

Give Jason a year to work with some of the guys we've got. THEN, if they don't work out, start making drastic changes.

And DON'T TRADE SANTANA OR ARE. NOT YET.

I am not into butchering the WR corp either, but facts are facts. Moss was a stand out for one year here. 2005. Before that and after that he has not proven to be a go to guy. Plus... he is always injured. I would rather have a guy with 3/4 of Moss's talent if they can play 16 games straight.

I want to keep ARE. He is our Welker... well, he could be. He has the speed and route running ability.

My 2 cents...

We package Moss and Lloyd or a late round draft pick for Roy Williams.

We trade our #1 pick for Ocho.

Keep ARE.

Use all the rest of our picks this year for guys in the trenches and a stand out saftey or CB (possibly move Springs to FS)

Release dead cap guys and non performers (as long as it does not directly reflect insubordination in the locker room)

Make a move for Briggs (we are going to need a saftey net if Rocky cant make it back next season. IDK... Its very possible that Blades could fill this roll. I would love to see the dwarves playing side by side! :))

Thats it for now... more later

so where did all this salary cap come from to take the cap hits on trading lloyd and moss, and cap hits that williams and ocho would cost us.

on top of all this, you have us signing briggs?

the cap is an issue!!!!! we are 13 over at this point....we can restructure and make cuts to get a few million under the cap to sign a couple free agents and our draft pcks....but you would add like 20 million to our cap w/ your trade plans and added on salaries.

Archived