• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
      ES Coverage Cowboys vs Redskins 2019

9/15/19

Do I look like I'm playing? I'm not playing. This is the Washington Redskins versus the Dallas Cowboys. If you are a fan of this game, and this one does not get you excited you might want to check your pulse.

Hello my friends it is I, JimmiJo, back for another year of this wonderful thing we call Redskins Football. This makes season 14 for me. I am joined by The Spaceman Spiff who will hereafter be known as "The Spaceman Spiff." 

Where's that dude that gets the big tattoos on his back? There's his next one.

So how important is this game? I don't know. What is the different between 1-1 and 0-2? The difference between batting .500 and zippy?

Throw in that this is their 2nd division game to start the year AND a home game and you have a critical match.

And once again they contend with critical injuries to start the year. Last year it was  their rookie star running back. This year its their 2nd year star...well you get the rest.  Darrius Guice is gone and not coming back this year. I think this really hurts him moving forward. Not sure who will build a scheme around him given his first two seasons.

So it is down to the veteran Adrian Peterson. I have no worries of ring rust for hum. None whatsoever. He knows what to do.

Anyway, almost time. Please share your thoughts.

Stand by...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 23 CB Quinton Dunbar
      o   No. 31 Fabian Moreau
      o   No. 64 C Ross Pierschbacher
      o   No. 67 G Wes Martin
      o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed
      o   No. 93 DT Jonathan Allen

The Cowboys declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Tavon Austin
      o   No. 37 S Donovan Wilson
      o   No. 57 LB Luke Gifford
      o   No. 61 C Adam Redmond
      o   No. 69 G Brandon Knight
      o   No. 79 DT Trysten Hill
      o   No. 97 DE Taco Charlton

Follow along in-game at Twitter @Skinscast 

JimmiJo

Head coach Jay Gruden said it is not time to press the panic button when asked if staff changes could occur on the defensive coaching staff. It may not be for him, but he might want to pay attention to the sounds coming from the owners suite at Redskins Park.

For example the sound of shouting and heavy objects striking walls could portend an early offseason for someone.

The Washington Redskins are now 0-2 to start the season. They are 0-2 in the division.

If that is not panic-inducing, they face a Chicago Bears football team (themselves in need of a solid win) on Monday Night Football next. A series they do not typically do well on.

In both games to open the campaign the winning teams had the game well in hand at the start of the fourth quarter, despite Washington taking leads in each of the games.

Against Dallas, the team began well again; taking a 7-0 lead into the second quarter. This was not quite the 17-0 start they had in Philadelphia. Nor did it take until halftime for the Cowboys to adjust.

It happened on Dallas’ fourth drive. Starting at their own 3-yard line at 9:44 in the 2nd period, the Cowboys employed a combination of runs up the middle and quick outs in the flats and sideline to advance the ball 97-yards in 7 plays and tie the game.

Following a three-and-out by Washington, Dallas went 74-yards on 11-plays to take the 14-7 lead at halftime.

The 3rd Quarter began with the Cowboys receiving the ball at their own 25. Nine plays  and 75-yards later they were leading 21-7.

The Redskins made it interesting with their own 11-play, 70-yard drive to cut he lead to 7.

But Dallas responded with a field goal. And would add another touchdown in the fourth quarter to extend the lead to 17.

Washington’s consolation score with just under 3-minutes remaining allowed rookie Terry McLaurin to add a touchdown to his debut season.

The Redskins have developed a reputation for not responding well to adjustments. They had little answer for the adjustments Dallas made to their offense. Ditto the game in Philadelphia.

In both, Washington had a lead to protect and could not.

Coming into the season the defense was expected to the be the strength of the team. Yet in two games they have surrendered 910 yards (445 per game) and 63 points. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Statistically the Redskins defense are near the bottom in points allowed and yards surrendered.

The coach wants to blame injuries. Not only the their excellent young nose tackle in Jonathan Allen, but also to the secondary which has already gone significant realignment to accommodate injuries to Quinton Dunbar and Fabian Moreau.

Still, with the specter of a season going off the rails after only two games, the fans want someone to blame.

Wont be the quarterback. Case Keenum has completed 68.2 percent of his passes. He has thrown 3 touchdowns against no interceptions.
      Ditto other skill positions. Adrian Peterson did not his best outing but the team abandoned the run early. The receivers are doling their own, with guys like McLaurin shining.

And as bad as the collapse was last week and the home loss this, it feels too early to call for the head coach.

That leaves those in charge of the defense. Specifically, Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky.

Fan ire seems more and more to be falling on Manusky, if sentiment on twitter and sports radio means anything.

But they don’t decide who stays and who leaves. That is the job of the head coach who so far, is backing his guy.

But there is a higher authority at Redskins Park. Legend has it owner Daniel Snyder once put a gallon of vanilla ice cream outside a Redskins defensive coordinator’s door following a poor performance by the defense.  

Given the start to this season, Manusky could be hearing the ice cream truck in his sleep. And that would be better than what many of the fans are wishing for him.

ACW

All Things Boxing

this....he never started the fight back up and wasn't even paying attention.

Ortiz got exactly what he deserved. You intentionally headbutt someone in the mouth you better put your hands up because that guy is going to try t take your head off.

WWE scripts it better.

Ortiz's headbutt was completely out of character.

And after Mayweather's first cheap shot, he didn't react at all. Just waited.

Whole thing was hilarious

Except I paid for it.

Edited by Hooper

That is all your opinion.

My opinion is that I'd take watching so many MMA fights over the best boxing matches. Hell, I like watching some jiu jitsu matches over the best boxing matches. It's to the point that when I watch boxing, I can't believe these guys are only using their hands. After drilling hand to hand combat techniques that can be used in real life situations, watching a boxer is almost unbearable. I constantly see openings for kicks, knees and takedowns. When the ref separates the boxers from a 1 second clinch I just laugh and change the channel at this point.

So why do you watch it at all then ? It's like going to a restaurant that you know sucks over and over and expecting it to be better. Personally, I would watch little league world series over MMA any day of the week. And I grew up on martial arts.

Ortiz got exactly what he deserved. You intentionally headbutt someone in the mouth you better put your hands up because that guy is going to try t take your head off.

/fight.

/thread.

It was a good fight but Ortiz knew he was fighting Floyd's fight and no matter how hard he tried Floyd sucked him right back in. Enter headbutt.

Floyd knew as well, knocking him out will result in a) a win + b)controversy + c) making him even more of a bad guy (hence the threats at the end...hate me more people!) = a bigger payday next fight, which now doesnt even have to be Manny.

Floyd = best fighter alive and most fiscally creative/intelligent athlete on the planet.

So why do you watch it at all then ? It's like going to a restaurant that you know sucks over and over and expecting it to be better. Personally, I would watch little league world series over MMA any day of the week. And I grew up on martial arts.

I catch it when I'm channel surfing. A lot different than getting dressed, intentionally driving to a bad restaurant, and spending money.

I still enjoy classic boxing matches, just not as much as great MMA fights or great jiu jitsu matches. My opinion.

Just curious what martial arts you did as a kid. When I was growing up all there were around here were Karate dojos. A few of my friends and I would spends days in the boxing gym at the boys and girls club in the summer, but I only had a handful of fights. I loved boxing because I believed it to be the most useful form of hand to hand combat. Luckily for me I didn't maintain a blind faith in boxing, and moved on to accept all martial arts useful for hand to hand combat.

This is an argument between opinions, and I'm doing it in the boxing thread...sorry if I'm coming off as a troll, but it rubs me the wrong way when fans of punching try to crap on the rest of the world of martial arts.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

You can paint this anyway you want to but the 5 minutes of boos tell the story. Everyone in attendance knew that was **** and everyone with an ounce of intellectual honesty is willing to admit the same. The ref's mistake was large enough to end his career. I feel bad those that paid for that absolute joke of a fight.

You can paint this anyway you want to but the 5 minutes of boos tell the story. Everyone in attendance knew that was **** and everyone with an ounce of intellectual honesty is willing to admit the same. The ref's mistake was large enough to end his career. I feel bad those that paid for that absolute joke of a fight.

At this point, the only fight I'm willing to pay for is Floyd/Pac, nothing else. I was contmplating whether or not to order this fight too. I would've been pissed.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

A bad boxing fight is still a fight. That's why. As for the little league world series... It's baseball. It's the same overrated boring crap no

matter how old the players are.

In the end, who cares how it ended? It's still the same situation that Floyd looks like a punk dodging the one fighter that can beat him. I'm not saying it as a slight to his skill, he's the second best fighter in the world...but if you run from the one guy better than you, you don't really deserve respect.

Just like he refused to show up to court and defend himself after he talked **** about Manny using and got sued....so he hides from that too.

Names were sometimes Americanized back then, but Judo, Taekwondo, Thai Boxing (Muay Thai), some weapons training ( I grew up as a military kid). I love the Art of fighting, not the game of it.

To me MMA is more of a game. Boxing is more art.

I know a little j j but not enough to really think I know much, same as I know the Russian language.

And it is a little trollish, same as I did when I used to go in your MMA threads. I can watch some fights but when an opponent is defenseless it goes against almost everything the art is about.

wow you have horrible taste in sports

Names were sometimes Americanized back then, but Judo, Taekwondo, Thai Boxing (Muay Thai), some weapons training ( I grew up as a military kid).

That's actually pretty darn respectable, hard to understand your blunt hatred for MMA.

I love the Art of fighting, not the game of it.

To me MMA is more of a game. Boxing is more art.

Well it is called Mixed Martial Arts. Boxing is one martial art, and MMA is several martial arts infused in to one. Kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling demand an incredibly high level of craftiness and technique to be considered "great" at.

And it is a little trollish, same as I did when I used to go in your MMA threads. I can watch some fights but when an opponent is defenseless it goes against almost everything the art is about.

Well I believe letting a guy continue on after receiving a concussion and a standing 8 count is even worse. At least when a guy goes out in MMA, the ref ends it ASAP. On the whole, boxers will always have more debilitating brain conditions than mixed martial artists. My signature is not the norm, for sure.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

This.... and I didn't see Joe Cortez say "Time In".

At this point, the only fight I'm willing to pay for is Floyd/Pac, nothing else. I was contmplating whether or not to order this fight too. I would've been pissed.
Pac will destroy the guy. That's IF Floyd ever mans up, and actually agrees to fight.

Its Amazing Floyd Mayweather is recieving heat after this fight. It was an good fight Mayweather was dominating, Ortiz was trying he was fighting hard and then a head but I have never seen one like this before THE SUPERMAN BUTT. After the Butt Ortiz went over to Mayweathers corner and Kissed him TWICE!!! and gave him a hug how gay is that. Then the reff "who screwed up should have started time first" restarted the fight and ORTIZ went in for another kiss and got KTFO.

Letterman really hates Floyd Mayweather and he got what was coming too him at the end. CRAZY night MAYWEATHER did his job I am disappointed the way it ended but thats totally on Ortiz for nothing protecting his self and trying too kiss the man for the 3rd time after a very bad very stupid head butt.

Pac would be destroyed hes going to get countered ALL NIGHT! Marquez whooped him twice WHO is a excellent counter puncher but half the fighter Mayweather is.

---------- Post added September-18th-2011 at 02:17 AM ----------

Merchant my bad but he hates Floyd too

IMO, Floyds defensive capabilities are just too great to be dominated by anyone to be honest. Pac could win, but I don't think it would be by KO. Pac has a better chance of getting KO'd than Floyd does

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I cant believe so many people are against Mayweather after what happened. The rules of the ring are very clear the ref even said post fight that Mayweather did nothing illegal. This type of thing happens in sports all the time where someones not ready and gets burned it just happens that boxing is a fighting sport its Ortiz's fault for keeping his hands down after INTENTIONALLY headbutting Mayweather what did he expect Mayweather to do just sit calm??? Im not saying Mayweather is right for doing what he did but he played by the rules and people are ripping him apart acting like he was scared to continue on and saw his opportunity and took it...which is complete bs because Floyd was straight working Ortiz for most of the fight...anyways I do hope to one day see Mayweather Pacquiao and to all the Pacquiao fans who think that he will rip Floyd up i think you are all in for a surprise.

Edited by CjSuAvE22