Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dr.Z voting for Monk (Merged)

apeters

The only reason, ONLY reason, Dr Z will vote for Art to get inducted is because he wants Cris Carter in the Hall, and all the arguments he has made over the years against Art apply to Cris (and he has ZERO rings). If he holds Art Monk out of the hall, he can not justify voting for receivers who can't stack up to Art. That means no Andre Reed, no Cris Carter, invalidates his vote for Irvin, and it makes a mockery of the two Steelers in the Hall: Swann and Stallworth. Dr Z is not voting for Art because he has been swayed. He is voting for Monk for the same reason King is: to justify the votes they want to cast for other receivers.
Well, Swann and Stallworth didn't make it in until Monk became eligible, so they really only got in because voters didn't want to create a gigantic logjam with Monk, Lofton, Swann, and Stallworth ... The HOF has just been very bad at evaluating receivers.

In any case, this is really good news. It doesn't necessarily guarantee Art getting in, but it dramatically improves his chances, and I would definitely say that it guarantees Art getting in within the next five years.

There will still be a big Carter vs. Monk debate this year ... as long as there isn't a big push for Tagliabue or Richard Dent or someone, they should both get in, but you never know.

Here's hoping that both Green and Monk get inducted in 2008 ... then we can move on to Grimm and Jacoby and Clark.

The only reason, ONLY reason, Dr Z will vote for Art to get inducted is because he wants Cris Carter in the Hall, and all the arguments he has made over the years against Art apply to Cris (and he has ZERO rings).

Thank you! I've stated this over and over again in multiple threads. Peter King and Doc Z are changing because they can't get their buddy in w/o first letting Monk go.

The only reason, ONLY reason, Dr Z will vote for Art to get inducted is because he wants Cris Carter in the Hall, and all the arguments he has made over the years against Art apply to Cris (and he has ZERO rings). If he holds Art Monk out of the hall, he can not justify voting for receivers who can't stack up to Art. That means no Andre Reed, no Cris Carter, invalidates his vote for Irvin, and it makes a mockery of the two Steelers in the Hall: Swann and Stallworth. Dr Z is not voting for Art because he has been swayed. He is voting for Monk for the same reason King is: to justify the votes they want to cast for other receivers.

I hope the Hall of Fame is going to do something about either expanding the pool of voters to include current Hall of Famers, Former Coaches and Front Office Guys. Either that or start rotating in new media voters to get rid of crap like Dr.Z and Peter King. These type of politics and personal agendas don't have any place in the voting process.

"Darrell Green, Albert Lewis and The Rattler, Ken Riley ... in that order. All legitimate Hall of Famers. All terrific players. No one, repeat nobody, comes anywhere near their skill today."

While I like hearing someone bragging up Darrell Green, for Dr. Z to state no one comes anywhere near their level today is just foolish. All NFL rules between then and now have been against CB's and for WR's in order to open up the offensive games. Champ Bailey, Ty Law, Charles Woodsen, etc. would have been studs in the 80's under those rules too.

Some of this guys writing just makes you wonder why he gets to be behind a typewriter as someone knowlegible about the sport. It is really scary that this guy gets to vote on NFL Hall of Famers.

here are the comparison stats

Harold Carmichael

Receptions 590

Receiving Yards 8,985

Touchdowns 79

Cris Carter

Receptions 1,101

receiving yards 13,899

Touchdowns 130

Art Monk

Receptions 940

Receiving Yards 12,721

Touchdowns 68

I don't know why Z has it up for Carmichael but the numbers do show Carter should be there with Monk.

here are the comparison stats

Harold Carmichael

Receptions 590

Receiving Yards 8,985

Touchdowns 79

Cris Carter

Receptions 1,101

receiving yards 13,899

Touchdowns 130

Art Monk

Receptions 940

Receiving Yards 12,721

Touchdowns 68

I don't know why Z has it up for Carmichael but the numbers do show Carter should be there with Monk.

Captain of offense on SB teams: 3

Uh, far be it from me to say, but Dr. Z has shown a propensity over the years to be quite petty and include his personal feelings when it comes to this.

SO, knowing that, AND knowing he's a bit of a narcissist who may very well google his name from ime to time and read what people say about him, can we call him names after he casts his vote?

I'd hate for it to be the fans who love Monk to be responsible for turning his vote against Art this year.

Repeat after me.

Thanks Dr. Z.

At least until the balloting is over and he's officially in.

~Bang

Uh, far be it from me to say, but Dr. Z has shown a propensity over the years to be quite petty and include his personal feelings when it comes to this.

SO, knowing that, AND knowing he's a bit of a narcissist who may very well google his name from ime to time and read what people say about him, can we call him names after he casts his vote?

I'd hate for it to be the fans who love Monk to be responsible for turning his vote against Art this year.

Repeat after me.

Thanks Dr. Z.

At least until the balloting is over and he's officially in.

~Bang

Sorry Bang, but I like to believe that 'skins fans played a big role in Z finally breaking down.

Sorry Bang, but I like to believe that 'skins fans played a big role in Z finally breaking down.

I agree,,, but wouldn't it suck if we now pissed him off and changed his mind?

I can't stand him either,, but i'll hold it til it's actually true that Monk is in

~Bang

I agree,,, but wouldn't it suck if we now pissed him off and changed his mind?

I can't stand him either,, but i'll hold it til it's actually true that Monk is in

~Bang

I gotta agree with Bang on this one. I'll kiss Dr. Z's and Petey's arse until the final votes are tallied. Catching more flies with honey than vinegar and all that...

As far as Carter goes, I would certainly have NO problem with him being in the HOF......as long as Monk gets in too. Carter is a putz but his IS deserving.

There you go, now Pete King and the other step up to the plate. Short passes win more than long passes, when we people realize this? Ask the 1992 Oilers, when their offense died they had no short and intermediate passing game to rely on hence the Bills comeback. Art was the best at this and hopefully come February 2008 we'll never have this discussion again

Archived