Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dr.Z voting for Monk (Merged)

apeters

I'm glad it appears Monk will finally get his due. I won't hold my breathe until it actually happens, but this is a big turn of events as far Monk going into the Hall is concerned.

Monk has my support, but even if he does get in, it won't change my opinion that the "writers" who vote have turned the HOF into a disgrace.

I'm still not getting my hopes up. Art didn't even make it to the final round last year, so obviously it's more than just Z holding him up. I think we are starting to wear some these guys down though, especially when they realize you can't put Carter in if don't put Monk in. That would wonderful to see both go in though.

here are the comparison stats

Harold Carmichael

Receptions 590

Receiving Yards 8,985

Touchdowns 79

Cris Carter

Receptions 1,101

receiving yards 13,899

Touchdowns 130

Art Monk

Receptions 940

Receiving Yards 12,721

Touchdowns 68

Looking at this, Monk HAS to get in if it comes down to him or Carter.

Monk almost gets doubled up when it comes to TDs (keep in mind that they played in totally different eras when it comes to passing), but one of the biggest strikes against Monk to this point has been his yards per catch. He has been largely labled as a "possession receiver" because of this.

Well, he has 13.5 ypc vs. Carter's 12.6.

He has more career TDs than Irvin, but was kept out last year because he had less YPC (big plays). This year, he has better YPC than his competitor but less touchdowns. Does this mean Carter was a possesion receiver/stat compiler or that Carter wasn't the most feared receiver on his own team?

Leverage that with Monk's 3 rings, the records that he broke while he was a player, AND the fact that he's not a drug attic douch or the fact that he doesn't have muppet eyebrows and I say he's in. :2cents:

Sorry guys. The fact that Monk didn't get into the HOF on first-ballot, and that Irvin got in before him, completely invalidates any respect one can have for what the hall stands for.

It's completely ridiculous. Getting Monk in now, or later, or 1 year ago would have made no difference. I don't demand first-ballot, but I mean, second-ballot... third.... I've been made to wait too long for me to care, or for me to think the "Hall of Fame" is due any respect anymore.

Just my two cents, after being someone who witnessed what Monk accomplished during his career, and then seeing the completely asinine nature by which the Hall voters judged him. Ridiculous. And now, in my eyes right now, it's too little too late. Reading what he wrote "I'm tired of being a negative" is definitely too little, and pretty much regardless, in my mind at least, it's too late.

Canton has been devalued by these morons.

Where is the mention of Clint Didier? Why is he not mentioned with Bravaro? I mean, are you going to lobby for Joe Morris next?

You have to realize with Dr. Z and King, any Giant player that is good to very good they will lobby for them to get in. The whole HOF voting is a joke.

Sorry guys. The fact that Monk didn't get into the HOF on first-ballot, and that Irvin got in before him, completely invalidates any respect one can have for what the hall stands for.

It's completely ridiculous. Getting Monk in now, or later, or 1 year ago would have made no difference. I don't demand first-ballot, but I mean, second-ballot... third.... I've been made to wait too long for me to care, or for me to think the "Hall of Fame" is due any respect anymore.

Just my two cents, after being someone who witnessed what Monk accomplished during his career, and then seeing the completely asinine nature by which the Hall voters judged him. Ridiculous. And now, in my eyes right now, it's too little too late. Reading what he wrote "I'm tired of being a negative" is definitely too little, and pretty much regardless, in my mind at least, it's too late.

Pretty much sums things up perfectly.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/11/07/hof/index.html

I'm going heavy on the wideouts this year, for some reason. I've always been a fan of the gigantic Harold Carmichael. Cris Carter's numbers are overpowering. I don't see how they can keep him out. Andre Reed has a rough time in the balloting, usually because the competition is so stiff at this position, but I've always been in his corner and I'll continue to be. And now we come to Art Monk.

I'm tired of being a negative. I'm tired of all the impassioned letters asking me what did he ever do to me. I've been thinking long and hard about this. OK, he caught a lot of short passes but he also bought a lot of first downs, and he was a terrific team guy, well-respected and a pleasure from whom to borrow money. Why must I continue to pound a shoe on the table?

"Because the heel is falling off," says The Flaming Redhead. Hey, can't you see this is serious? What's the matter with you?

Where was I? Oh yeah, Art Monk. OK. He's got my vote. D.C. e-mailers can mail their contributions to me, care of the office.

lol. Monk has his vote. Give the man his props.

No. The man gets no props.

Zero. Props. Sir.

He's been one of Monk's hugest detractors for years. He's openly made statements about how he relishes in the mail he gets about how he's retarded for not voting to put Monk in the Hall. Every player, coach, and announcer wants Monk in. Even Crackhead Irvin said Monk should be in the Hall.

Dr. Z gets no props for finally coming to his goddamn senses and voting for Monk. Especially when your statement of support comes with "yeah, he caught a lot of short passes...blah blah blah i'm full of myself" statements like this one. **** Dr. Z

Archived