Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Theismann is apparently no longer an expert

Bacon

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

SUNSHINE FADES EVEN FURTHER

First, it was his Monday Night Football gig. Now, Joe Theismann a/k/a Joey Sunshine has suffered yet another professional humiliation.

Theismann is no longer a member of ESPN.com's weekly expert picks panel.

In his place is Seth Wickersham of ESPN The Magazine and ESPN.com. (Wick's far bigger claim to fame is that he is a participant in the PFT Media Fantasy Challenge.)

Strangely, the expert picks page has been revised to remove any reference to Theismann, instead using Wickersham's picks from prior weeks in place of the picks that Theismann had made.

And thanks to the handful of readers who alerted us to this one, since we don't regularly look at that specific page on the ESPN.com site. (But, given that yours truly outperformed all of them last week by picking 13 games correctly, maybe we should.)

We're trying to find out how this happened, and whether it means that Theismann finally has quit or been fired. ESPN spokesman Mac Nwulu told us in a Wednesday e-mail that he'd have some information on Thursday. So don't go anywhere. Even if you have to "go".

ESPN has kicked their Skins hatred up a notch. ;)

does anybody know WHY he was booted from ESPN?

From doing the monday night games? If you're talking about that, he said that they took him off because ESPN wanted a more celebrity sorta broadcast..And when they brought people in the booth, like a celebrity, Theismann said that he wanted to talk football, but they wanted to talk about whats going on now, in the news, not about football.

From doing the monday night games? If you're talking about that, he said that they took him off because ESPN wanted a more celebrity sorta broadcast..And when they brought people in the booth, like a celebrity, Theismann said that he wanted to talk football, but they wanted to talk about whats going on now, in the news, not about football.

Memo to ESPN: We don't care who's on your broadcast team, we just want to know how the game is going.

I mean seriously who watches a football game for the celebrities. :doh:

Sounds like what ABC did to Senile Frank Gifford after that whole hotel affair thing came out. First they moved him to his own private booth on the other side of the stadium...then they moved him to a booth at a restaurant outside the stadium altogether...and then finally removed him from ABC.

ESPN canned him because he had the guts to tell them what he thought, and didn't like the direction ESPN is going in, which is towards entertainment.

I'm sure NFL Network will sign him up soon. They're just building their channel with one fired ESPN analyst at a time!

MNF is just horrible now. I can't stand Korny and the interviews during the game make me want to scream "Pay attention to what's going on in the damn game!"

I nearly kicked my TV when they had Barkley on there. Hell, even my wife said, "they're not paying a lot of attention to the game are they?"

Jaws is much better than Joey T... but for God's sake, please talk football. :doh:

MNF is just horrible now. I can't stand Korny and the interviews during the game make me want to scream "Pay attention to what's going on in the damn game!"

I nearly kicked my TV when they had Barkley on there. Hell, even my wife said, "they're not paying a lot of attention to the game are they?"

Jaws is much better than Joey T... but for God's sake, please talk football. :doh:

ESPN doesn't care about the game anymore.

Its all about Hollywood celebrity entertainment BS.

:logo:

I'm with everyone on hating the ESPN MNF broadcast. Too many commercials, too many celebretiy interruptions, too little footbal talk.

What I don't understand is how anyone could defend Joe Theisman. He may have known that ESPN was going in the wrong direction, but he certainly wasn't part of solving the problem. He has never provided a single perspective that wasn't blatantly obvious to anyone who has ever watched football.

In all honesty, I really didn't like Joey T in the booth. I don't think he really meshed well with the crew on the new MNF, which is awful now. But I don't think he compares to Tony K for being the most annoying person on MNF. God that guy's soooooo freakin annoying. :doh:

Archived