Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*UFC 71: Chuck Liddell vs. Quinton Jackson - May 26th!!*

d0ublestr0ker0ll

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

http://71.ufc.com/

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

jackson_bustamante1.jpg

"The Iceman" Chuck Liddell

liddell_overeem2.jpg

Chuck Liddell:

Record: 20-3 (Champion)

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 205 lbs.

Strengths: Kickboxing; Powerful Combinations; Unorthadox Striking; Powerful Kicks; Renowned for Knockout Power; College Wrestler; Powerful Jaw; Immense Takedown Defense.

Quinton Jackson

Record: 26-6 (Challenger)

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 205 lbs.

Strengths: Revolutionary Body Slams; Well-Versed Striker; College Wrestler; Knock Out Ability; Punching Defense; Powerful Overhand Strikes; Very Intense Aggressiveness.

History:

Chuck lost to Rampage in a Pride Fighting Tournament in 2003. Chuck AND Rampage have both improved over this 4 year period.

http://71.ufc.com/

Chuck AND Rampage have both improved over this 4 year period. Who is your pick? Chuck, or Quinton?

The reason I picked Chuck is because I actually think Rampage has gotten worse since their last fight. He seems to have lost his edge in the ring. Some people have attributed it to his being "born again". He has been knocked out 3 times since that fight. He didn't look great against Lindland (a lot of people thought Lindland got robbed on that decision).

If you watch the last fight (try to get the full fight, not the edited version that was on Fox Sports. I think I posted links in the MMA thread) Chuck had no answer for Rampage. Rampage looked like the perfect counter to Chuck's style. I think Chuck is a much smarter fighter now though. He will impose a perfect gameplan and knock Quinton out like he does everybody.

The reason I picked Chuck is because I actually think Rampage has gotten worse since their last fight. He seems to have lost his edge in the ring. Some people have attributed it to his being "born again". He has been knocked out 3 times since that fight. He didn't look great against Lindland (a lot of people thought Lindland got robbed on that decision).

If you watch the last fight (try to get the full fight, not the edited version that was on Fox Sports. I think I posted links in the MMA thread) Chuck had no answer for Rampage. Rampage looked like the perfect counter to Chuck's style. I think Chuck is a much smarter fighter now though. He will impose a perfect gameplan and knock Quinton out like he does everybody.

i almost completely agree with you. Rampage has not been the same since Wanderlei Silva knee'd him back into Christianity :laugh: .

ever since those two fights with Silva Rampage just hasn't been the same at all. that being said, i still think that Rampage's style will present alot of problems for Chuck. he's still pretty young, i don't think he's 30 yet, so he still has time to find that passion and hunger again. Rampage's defense is almost tailor made to block Liddells punches. While Chuck has a great sprawl, the fact that the fight is in the cage, will make it easier for Rampage to get a takedown.

i expect Rampage to win by KO in Rd.3.

i almost completely agree with you. Rampage has not been the same since Wanderlei Silva knee'd him back into Christianity :laugh: .

ever since those two fights with Silva Rampage just hasn't been the same at all. that being said, i still think that Rampage's style will present alot of problems for Chuck. he's still pretty young, i don't think he's 30 yet, so he still has time to find that passion and hunger again. Rampage's defense is almost tailor made to block Liddells punches. While Chuck has a great sprawl, the fact that the fight is in the cage, will make it easier for Rampage to get a takedown.

i expect Rampage to win by KO in Rd.3.

I disagree with the cage making it easier for 'Page to take down Chuck. Chuck is a counter-punching nightmare. And with more space to back up and throw missiles, Chuck can avoid takedown shots moreso than say a Pride Fighting ring.

UFC Octagon Dimensions: Diameter of 38 feet (11.5 m), allowing 30 feet (9 m) of space from point to point.

Boxing Ring Dimensions: Between 16 and 25 feet to a side (4.88 to 7.32 meters) between the ropes.

Yes, the cage 'gives' less than ropes do, but 'Page can't rely on that this time. Like you said, he parries shots like it's breathing. He needs to stalk Chuck and throw some probing jabs to get Chuck to bite. Once that happens, Quinton will see if the fight turns out the way it did in 2003. With him tagging Chuck. Otherwise, Rampage would love to slam him. :)

Think about Chuck's rule the past couple of years.

He hasn't fought a good stand up guy that whole time.

He only beat ground n pounders.

He has to be nervous about this fight.

I say Rampage wins.

Chuck does try to work that counter game, but he leaves himself open a lot.

Rampage is going to step in with combinations, and chuch is going to eat an overhand right.

Think about Chuck's rule the past couple of years.

He hasn't fought a good stand up guy that whole time.

He only beat ground n pounders.

He has to be nervous about this fight.

I say Rampage wins.

Chuck does try to work that counter game, but he leaves himself open a lot.

Rampage is going to step in with combinations, and chuch is going to eat an overhand right.

IMHO, Randy's standup improved greatly throughout his career. He adjusts to styles better than anyone, and taught Chuck a great lesson in their first matchup.

Otherwise, you're right. But only a few people have a great standup game in the LHW division. Shogun, Silva, and Rampage's is off and on. Silva hasn't come back to the UFC, and Shogun has never hinted that he wants to come in either. I doubt it's Chuck's "rule" not to fight these guys. He wants to focus on the UFC, let the man do it, and come take it away from him. Why does he have to chase these guys around in Pride?

I think Chuck wins by knockout in the late first or early second rounds. I base this on two things, 1) Everytime Chuck has lost he has come back with something to prove and is a smarter fighter because of it. I don't think Rampage will be able to stop him like he did before.

And 2) Rampage's first fight in the Octagon was not impressive at all. In fact, after the fight he even said that he would like to have a couple more fights in there before he stepped in with Chuck. I think, in his mind, he's not ready and that is going to show during that first round.

Chuck could not solve Rampage's aggressive style in the ring. He was overwhelmed and crowded the whole time. It was easy to see the befuddlement on Liddell's face.

The cage will offer Liddell plenty of room to move and his takedown defense has become legendary. This fight won't be as exciting in the "constant action" sense of the word, but that's what will confuse Jackson this time. Unless he comes out right away and charges Chuck, he'll find himself following Liddell around the cage taking leg kicks and counter-punches until he fatigues and get's KOed by one of those 12 punch combos that Liddell uses when he knows he won't get hit back because he's sufficiently chipped away at his opponent until they are cloudy and tired. Sort of the way he beat Tito the first time.

If it ends early, it'll be Quentin "Rampage" Jackson.

If it ends late, it'll be Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell.

My prediction, though, is Chuck Liddell. Pride fighters are not winning in the cage these days.

Archived