Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*UFC 71: Chuck Liddell vs. Quinton Jackson - May 26th!!*

d0ublestr0ker0ll

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Dang. Chuck got his ass whooped!

That's right he did! ;)

Did you watch how chuck doesn't cover up properly, and Rampage does.

Chuck doesn't move his head around, where Rampage moves his around a lot.

Chuck is the same way now, he still has improper defence. He's built an over rated reputation on "punchy" ground n pounders.

Rampage is a better stand up fighter when you look at the fundimental side.

This fight could and should be fight of the year, but what type of fighters are going to show up?

Hungry fighters, or fear tired...wallets fat...circle each other around the ring all 5 rounds?

I think it's going to be some where in the middle.

A few beatings and a fat wallet has slow down many-a-great-fighter.

Rampage in the 3rd round.

Chuck could not solve Rampage's aggressive style in the ring. He was overwhelmed and crowded the whole time. It was easy to see the befuddlement on Liddell's face.

The cage will offer Liddell plenty of room to move and his takedown defense has become legendary. This fight won't be as exciting in the "constant action" sense of the word, but that's what will confuse Jackson this time. Unless he comes out right away and charges Chuck, he'll find himself following Liddell around the cage taking leg kicks and counter-punches until he fatigues and get's KOed by one of those 12 punch combos that Liddell uses when he knows he won't get hit back because he's sufficiently chipped away at his opponent until they are cloudy and tired. Sort of the way he beat Tito the first time.

If it ends early, it'll be Quentin "Rampage" Jackson.

If it ends late, it'll be Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell.

My prediction, though, is Chuck Liddell. Pride fighters are not winning in the cage these days.

i kinda see where you're coming from, but Chuck really doesn't use his legs as offense in his fights (outside of the first Babalu (sp?) fight). he has a kickboxing background, but rarely uses it within the cage. the cage is larger than the Pride ring and will give Chuck more room to move. but the flipside is that if Rampage can get Chuck against the cage, which is certainly possible, it will be easier for Page to take Chuck down than if they were in the Pride ring.

this fight can go so many different ways. i think it really depends on what Rampage shows up. if a hungry & determined Rampage shows up, i don't think Chuck has a chance of beating him. i guess what i'm trying to say is that from a style perspective, Rampage presents Chuck with all types of problems. that being said the way Rampage has fought lately leaves alot to be desired.

i still say that Rampage takes it by 3rd ref stoppage due to strikes.:2cents:

this fight can go so many different ways. i think it really depends on what Rampage shows up. if a hungry & determined Rampage shows up, i don't think Chuck has a chance of beating him. i guess what i'm trying to say is that from a style perspective, Rampage presents Chuck with all types of problems. that being said the way Rampage has fought lately leaves alot to be desired.

i still say that Rampage takes it by 3rd ref stoppage due to strikes.:2cents:

I think you and are seeing the same fight in our minds with opposite outcomes. We agree that Jackson needs to come out very aggressive right away and that Liddell needs to stay off the fence.

And yes, this matchup is all about styles and it was clear that Chuck couldn't solve Rampage's style in the first bout. In fighting sports, that's rarely overcomeable in rematches. I suppose I'm gambling that Chuck will be an exception due to the change in the playing field. (Can't wait for this fight!)

24-15 for Chuck Liddell, must be the same crowd who predicted Cro Cop would beat Gonzaga...

Ummm, if you genuinely THOUGHT Gonzaga was going to win that fight, you're either an absolute genius or an absolute moron....I'm not sure why you think it's a bad idea to pick Chuck in this fight. Chuck has steadily improved since their first meeting. Would you honestly say that Rampage has?

When was the last time someone got past Chuck's defense?

thats a great point, but if you look at Chuck's last few opponents, they have all been grapplers. Couture has ok standup, but is a wrestler. jeremy horn is a ground ace, babalu is a ground ace, tito is ground and pounder. Chuck has not fought a striker the level of Rampage since he fought Rampage. in his previous fights, Chucks takedown defense alone was enough to win him those fights because they could not strike with Chuck. Rampage has the ability to take him down, but he does not have to rely on that because Rampage can, and history proves, strike with Chuck.

thats a great point, but if you look at Chuck's last few opponents, they have all been grapplers. Couture has ok standup, but is a wrestler. jeremy horn is a ground ace, babalu is a ground ace, tito is ground and pounder. Chuck has not fought a striker the level of Rampage since he fought Rampage. in his previous fights, Chucks takedown defense alone was enough to win him those fights because they could not strike with Chuck. Rampage has the ability to take him down, but he does not have to rely on that because Rampage can, and history proves, strike with Chuck.

Again, that's 2003. Everybody realizes Chuck is in a super groove now, he has turned in to something else. Rampage, on the other hand, has worked on being more of a technical fighter since then. He isn't the old balls-to-the-wall Rampage we used to know. That being said, he's still a world-class fighter...and his bread and butter is his standup. I think Rampage's new style is a work in progress, and will therefore give Liddell, whom is on fire, an advantage.

I re-watched the Lidell/Tito fight again the other night. I had never seen it on TV (I saw it live in Vegas). I have to admit, Tito landed some good shots on Chuck. Liddell has a hell of a chin, but if Rampage lands those type of shots, he'll knock Chuck on his ass. This could be the fight of the year. I'm not 100% sure about Chuck winning anymore. I think I still consider him the favorite, but it won't surprise me in the least if he does lose. I don't see this going 5 rounds though. Someone WILL get KO'd.

Again, that's 2003. Everybody realizes Chuck is in a super groove now, he has turned in to something else. Rampage, on the other hand, has worked on being more of a technical fighter since then. He isn't the old balls-to-the-wall Rampage we used to know. That being said, he's still a world-class fighter...and his bread and butter is his standup. I think Rampage's new style is a work in progress, and will therefore give Liddell, whom is on fire, an advantage.

very valid point.

at the end of the day, i just think that Rampage has a style that is suited to beating Chuck. i expect a great fight and definitely do not think Chuck will be dominated, but i do see him losing by TKO early in the 3rd round.

he did a relatively regular takedown on chuck in their first fight.

the guy he powerbombed was Ricardo Arona

The one thing that nobody ever talks about is how that powerbomb knocked Arona out. If you watch closely, as Arona hit the mat Rampage's forehead smacked down on to Arona's jaw. An extremely violent headbutt finished that fight...

Otherwise, Rampage is the king of the bodyslam.

Archived