Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Musicians in the house?

xcrezyx

Anybody here a musician? I'm a woodwinds player here ... saxophone, flute, clarinet, etc. Jazz is my thing though ... I do it for a living, and I love it ... too bad I can barely pay the bills ... that's with teaching and gigging! Anyone else here play?

Anybody here a musician? I'm a woodwinds player here ... saxophone, flute, clarinet, etc. Jazz is my thing though ... I do it for a living, and I love it ... too bad I can barely pay the bills ... that's with teaching and gigging! Anyone else here play?

right here. I'm a saxophone/clarinet/piano/guitar/bass guitar player. I also play quads for marching band. I primarily play jazz with a little bit of drum corp on the side. I went to college to be a music major but dropped out seeing that money didn't quite agree to my passion.

so i just go to groups and gig for fun. rock on!

I play drums. Since I was 10 it's been a dominating passion. I like progressive drumming in most genres. Rock and fusion have influenced me greatly, but laying down rap and jazz tracks are just as fun.

And if drummers aren't musicians, they are people with quick hands. So watch it when you say something like that. ;)

North Texas? They have an AMAZING percussion program, esp. marching percussion. Paul Rennick...Mark Ford. Awesome guys in the drum corps world.

Anyways, I wouldn't call myself just a drummer, but rather a percussionist because I've played many percussion instruments over the years, and have also written and taught (marching percussion, and pit percussion) for a few high schools.

Been playing tenor sax for about 10 years. Did all the stuff through middle -- highschool ; marching, jazz, orchestra. Plenty of district bands and governors schools for jazz. Here's my baby.

t901ssm.gif

I've also been playing guitar for about 6 years. I love ska, punk, rock, blues, and surf. I am selling a few things to get this Gretsch White Falcon. They usually sell for $3300 new, but we have one at the music store I work at that has some cracked paint and a slight neck bowing, so it's like $1600. Add in some trade-in cash, and I might just do it. It's such a beauty...

cat_1975gretsch_page_021.jpeg

6980093.jpg

Been playing tenor sax for about 10 years. Did all the stuff through middle -- highschool ; marching, jazz, orchestra. Plenty of district bands and governors schools for jazz.

I went to Gov School for jazz saxophone as well ... I only did the summer program, not the actual full semester school. I think it was summer of ... 2000? Could have been summer of 2001. District band all through high school ... all state 3 years ... I never knew there was an all state jazz ensemble until I got into college :laugh:

I saw a post earlier about someone talking about Rennick here in the percussion dept...First off, our percussion department has to be one of the best in the world (along w/our jazz studies program). Rennick is one of my fiancee's good friends. She used to be a cymbal player for the drumline. Luckily she's not a music major ... graduated with a "money-making" degree :D

Just a little shameless plug here ...

I'll be playing at BLUES ALLEY in Georgetown from April 26 - April 28 (two sets a night) with the University of North Texas One O'Clock Lab Band. If you've heard of us, you know how good the band will be. If you haven't, you have to come out to hear how good the band is. Not your typical university jazz band here. If you like some high trumpets, fast saxophone lines, and loud trombones, then you should come out! If you just like big band, or even just jazz, come out! I think the tickets are close to selling out... www.bluesalley.com to check it out. We're also playing at the Kennedy Center on the afternoon of the 28th. If you do come out, come find me and say hi! I'm the alto sax player w/a silver horn.

Yeah, but on the other end of the spectrum. I play Electric guitar, keyboards and drums. I am a METALHEAD!! played in some garage bands growing up but as I got older, adults seem to be too flakey so nothing ever got going, now I just play myself and record in my garage with personal recording equipment. And annoy my neighbors with the loud heavy metal!!

I went to Gov School for jazz saxophone as well ... I

Since you seem really enthusiastic about this, I wonder if you'd help me with a question? I have pretty much had to teach myself theory and I've learned quite a bit in the past 15 years. But there is still a lot I know I need to learn-especially jazz. But for starters.......

Ok for simplicity's sake we'll start simple. I understand passing tones and crushed notes and that I can use them over a Major I-IV-V(Using G ionian) or a Minor i-iv-v(using G mixolydian).

But how do they explain it in music theory that you can use both scales over Gmaj/Cmaj/Dmaj and it sounds harmonically correct? In bluegrass and blues, I believe they call this cross picking(?) where the soloist defines which third he wants to use-the major or the minor and they can be interchangeable. Jimi Hendrix switches between minor pentatonic and major pentatonic on back to back bars on Redhouse. Why do the minor and major thirds not seem to clash between the vertical and horizontal harmony and how do they explain that in theory? Is it basically the same principle as passing tones? Thanks to anyone who can help me work this out in my head.

BTW, this question is mild compared to the ii-bV-I and harmonic/melodic minor questions I'll be asking you about tomorrow......:silly:

Archived